StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever cleaned their fork seal with a piece of plastic called SealMate? A piece of 35 MM film negative will probably work fine also. I am wondering about the results. Has anyone ever stopped a fork seal leak by sliding something around the seal and cleaned any dirt? By the way, it's not my V-Strom fork, it's my Goldwing. I am just curious about the method. It does sound like it should work. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I have been useing them for years on my offroad bikes and they work great.I would say that in my case they have extended my seal life by tripple.It's amazing to see what comes out and how the leak stops afterward!!.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
302 Posts
Has anyone ever cleaned their fork seal with a piece of plastic called SealMate? A piece of 35 MM film negative will probably work fine also. I am wondering about the results. Has anyone ever stopped a fork seal leak by sliding something around the seal and cleaned any dirt? By the way, it's not my V-Strom fork, it's my Goldwing. I am just curious about the method. It does sound like it should work. Thanks.
A buddy of mine bought an '04 Wee last year, and the fork seals were leaking so badly they had fouled the brake pads. He was all set to tear them apart and put new seals in. On a whim, we decided to clean them with a Sealmate first. Both seals completely stopped leaking. He replaced the fork fluid and brake pads and was good to go. Definitely worth a try.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just used it on my Wing and it stopped both fork seal leaks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Leaking fork seal

This afternoon I had a panic attack. I just finished changing the oil and I looked up on my right fork and saw evidence of a fluid leak from the fork. I already have to replace the back tire at 16k miles and now I have a fork seal failure. I just want to thank you all for the quick tip about the 35mm film to dislodge dirt and bug residue. Not much for off road, being in South Carolina there isn't much of a winter to freeze the flying critters off so they grow quite large. Now after three turns of the film and reseating the seals as shown in the Seal Mate online video, NO LEAKS!!! Gents I give you a tip of the hat and a great thanks. I will continue to watch closely to ensure that it does not continue. :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is amazing, just cleaning your fork seals making such a difference. For the folks that have known this trick for years it is no big deal but to me.....I was going to pull my forks and replace the seals.....now they are bone dry......it's a big deal.

·
Registered
15,409 Posts
This is a neat subject. I had the FS replaced on 'other bike 'under warranty. Now I have a easy simp and quickle way to maybe correct a future problem. Thanks.
What ever happened to Fork Gators? I just installed Rancho shocks on my 4 Runner and they came with bright red gators.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts