Strom Trooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about pick up one of these:

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/6001-153/BigFork-Dry-Daypack-30L

I've been looking at various motorcycle specific setups like the Dryspec stuff, but I also plan to use the dry bag on the water. Either way I'm looking for a dry bag that can be carried like a backpack whenever I ride or paddle to a trail head and set off on foot.

This one seems to fit the bill.

Anyone have one of these or something similar?

Attachments

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,082 Posts
I have one similar. I like the one you have in the pic with the netting! Mine is just as good as the Dry Spec bags I have, if you don't consider it does not have built in mounting/tie down straps like the Dry Spec does. Cheap. And works!

·
Premium Member
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I went ahead and ordered one (there weren't any in the store). The netting is a feature I appreciate. It's great for stuffing a jacket into when you begin to peel off layers.

I don't mind the lack of tie downs. I just bungee anyway.

·
Super Moderator
16,724 Posts
I have that brand dry bag, been rock solid and dry as a bone.

·
Premium Member
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If anyone is wondering, I've used the bag a few times now in the kayak and I think it's a winner.

At 30 liters, not too big but not too small, perfect for day trips like the one I did last week - about a 90 minute paddle with my dog to where we beached and a 2 hour hike up river to some waterfalls. As a backpack, it has both chest and hip straps and padded shoulder straps, so both comfortable and secure.

Haven't tried it on the bike yet but will soon.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Oh dang this is maybe one of those pieces that is just the top of it's class. I'm going to check it out at MEC this weekend to replace the dry bag that got chewed up by a bear last summer.

·
Registered
14,018 Posts
I've got a yellow Sealine and a Silver REI bag that I've had for decades. They were color coded to the bikes I had. Top filling became a PITA.
I remember articles about how to fill the bag starting with the thermarest air mattress. Side filling water bags became the rage but I had gotten a cloth U pack from Rev pack and stuck the WW bags on the shelf.
They are a practical carrying device fur sure if you like they way they load.

One very rainy night in Fredricksburg Tx, I put my leathers and stuff in the WW bag and all other stuff in the saddlebags because the tent was taking on rainwater.
Threw the tent away but kept the WW bag!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Had mine since 2001 when I bought a Zodiac. It has seen double-duty on my XL600R, KLR, and now my 650XT.
It doesn't have those bungee things, but does have the shoulder straps. It has been under the PacSafe wire netting several times, and as abrasive as the netting is, the Sealine fabric isn't compromised.
My sleeping bag in its compression sack stuffs in there first at the bottom, followed by a thermarest pad, then pot and cooking stuff. Tent won't fit in there, but a fly and some odds and ends will.

It does have some black (grease?) marks on it, as well as several ADV event stickers on the bottom lol.
Money well spent for sure. Can't recall if it's 30l... now I think it's closer to 65l come to think of it....

·
Premium Member
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, for more than a day trip you'd want something larger than the 30 liter. But for a day out, it's the right size.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a Seal Line 30L bag that has no straps. I use it on the rack of my snowmobile. Very tough, even in -15 Degree weather and completely waterproof. I haven't used it on bike yet, and with no straps/tiedown points it's not ideal for securing. But I would highly recommend the brand and if I were purchasing another for my bike it would be the one you're considering. btw the 30 L size is ideal for my purposes, not too big, very practical.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts