StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I opened the gas tank cap on my DL1000 to pour in some fuel stabilizer for the winter. Then I opened the fuel stabilizer bottle, which was half full. I guess I was rushing it because the plastic seal flew out and went - unbelievably - right into the tank. I grabbed a light and looked inside but no sign of the stupid seal. I filled the tank with gasoline, hoping the seal would float to the top. No luck.

What do you think will happen to this seal? Could it block off the fuel pickup? Should I pull the tank and try to extricate the stupid thing?

Peter

·
Registered
285 Posts
I think it would probably be a very good idea to try and get it out. Whatever it takes.
+1. I would think that you should get a 5 gallon fuel tank, empty the Strom tank into it, take off the strom tank and shake it until the seal comes out.

Ever dropped a pick inside an acoustic guitar? Same idea...

Bob

·
Registered
224 Posts
Ride the bike to empty. The floating plastic bit won't hurt anything, but if the bike starts running funny you'll know why. It will be easier to extract the plastic ring from an empty tank than a full one. You can extract the ring by "fishing" for it with a bent coathanger--don't ask me how I know this :mrgreen:

·
Banned
4,051 Posts
You're talking about the seal from the fuel stabilizer bottle, right? It's the plastified carboard thingy.

Leave it in there, it won't hurt anything

·
Registered
329 Posts
Fastest way to do it is with a match OR get a helper, turn the bike upside down and wait until it sttles to the top of the cap. Then open the cap. If you ge gas on the ground, it's self cleaning with a match.

What? I bet you guys are jealous because you didn't think of it first!

Okay, so if that is too radical....

I don't see how emptying the tank will help because it will always want to stick the the mo difficult place to get at. I suggest a baster from the dollar store or a hose to force some kind of turbulence and dislodge into a more convenient/accessible place. Then a flashlight and a coat hanger.

Good luck and happy fishing.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Fastest way to do it is with a match OR get a helper, turn the bike upside down and wait until it sttles to the top of the cap. Then open the cap. If you ge gas on the ground, it's self cleaning with a match.
You're gonna feel like a real heel if you read about this guy in the paper ...
:green_lol:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You're talking about the seal from the fuel stabilizer bottle, right? It's the plastified carboard thingy.
Yeah that plastic foam-like round seal that sits between the cap and bottle lip. It was loose because I had previously used some of the stabilizer. I figure the seal won't degrade while in the tank (at least not for a while) because the manufacturer must use material that can withstand the stabilizer chemicals. My main concern is whether it could block the fuel pickup....I don't know where the pickup is located or how it's configured. Sounds like this won't be a problem....still, does anyone have a diagram or image that can establish this for certain?

Peter

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
The pickup is through a strainer. You shouldn't have a problem.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
What is that stuff on the strainer Pat?
That would be your basic crud, whatever finds its way into the tank that is too big to get through the strainer.

·
Banned
4,051 Posts
That would be your basic crud, whatever finds its way into the tank that is too big to get through the strainer.
That picture gave me a great idea:
Anyone wanna start a "clean your fuel strainer" thread?

We could do a great job of it guys; someone could post about horsepower increase, someone else about how they crashed because of a dirty strainer, I'd post about how I thought I was smart when I replaced my strainer with wifey's nylons but that it didn't last (the repair or the relationship).

I'm just saying, you know, think about it; winter is coming and some of you who won't be riding need the entertainment...

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
If it had happened to me, I'd first remove the tank, fill the tank about 1/2 full with gas, then slosh it around until I could see the plastic piece floating in there. Then I'd try and extract it with one of those flexible 'claw' things (they always remind me of the thing from Total Recall where Schwarzeneggar extracts the tracking device from his nose).

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
I'd just wait until I had to change the air filter then you have the tank off anyway.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts