StromTrooper banner

sea to sky hwy

3K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  Umbrianissimo 
#1 ·
Does anyone know if the sea to sky hwy and duffy lake road/99 is paved up to hwy 97/Cariboo hwy in BC?

#5 ·
Looks very interesting. Lots to see. I'll consider that on my way to Yellowknife from Seattle area. Thank you for the link. Somehow, I thought it started in Oregon. I've ridden 99W in Northern Oregon. Quite scenic for those of us who don't live in farming communities. Easy riding.

#6 ·
Yeah, this got posted in the "Oregon" subforum so I could see why you'd think 99 would be an Oregon reference. I assume because the subforum also encompasses Alaska for some unknown reason, that the OP asked about it here because it is a route up to Alaska from the lower 48.

#9 ·
Great route and paved all the way, The section from Pemberton to Lilloet is newly repaved from what I understand.

However......a large caveat.....The stretch from north Vancouver to Whistler has a relatively low speed limit and is fairly rigorously patrolled on weekends. BC has an "impound vehicle" law for 40 kph over which is only 25mph. Enforcement once you get past Whistler is more reasonable but still may be presentl.

#13 · (Edited)
Yeah - seconded - we took the Inside Passage Ferry on our bikes coming back down and over to Vancouver Island. I must admit the road to Port Albernie is a hoot as well if you have time.

Be careful of fuel because some stations can be seasonal or just plain closed but still showing on guides. So half tank fillups are smart.

#15 ·
Guess somehow after I posted and no replies I forgot about this thread, but thanks for the replies. This has got me rethinking my route.

#16 ·
Question asked and comments offered; Riding north from Whistler/ Pemberton the road is paved if you turn east at Pavillion and go towards Cache Creek. If, as per @Argus16's map, you head north on Hwy 20 to William's Lake, I'm not sure if that road is paved all the way. Anybody know for sure? It would be a fairly well-traveled road in any event. The road west to Bella Coola is not paved all the way and can be a bit hairy in places.

The road from West Vancouver up to Whistler or Pemberton is called the 'Sea to Sky'. After Pemberton it is referred to as the 'Duffy Lake Road', or just, 'The Duffy Lake'. Both very scenic stretches of highway.

Notes from others RE police well worth being aware of. Police make a easy day of it catching motorcyclists on this road, and yes, the speed limit is necessarily low. 80 kph/ 50 mph in some places.

Also note that this is a very touristed area, and accommodations are expensive. Expect several hundred dollars a night if you decide to stay in Whistler.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.