StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Searched the files, and aside from a lot of pro and con and a few fist fights, I don't see any mention of what mix ratio to use, that is, how many ounces per gallon of gasoline. The can does not say either. Techron, which I've used in the past on carburetored bikes, is one ounce per gallon. Anyone know what Sea Foam ratio is recommended?

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Depends on your use....are you using it for a stabilizer or to clean?

Not that I've got a scientific answer for ya either way, but if I'm cleaning the fuel system I've found it works better in a waaay high concentration....whole bottle to a tank. To stabilize the fuel you probably only need an ounce a gallon, like the Techron.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I don't see any mention of what mix ratio to use, that is, how many ounces per gallon of gasoline. The can does not say either.
The can does suggest a ratio.....all the ones I have ever purchased anyway.

I think they say 1-2oz per gallon, based on application.

I generally add about 1/3-1/2 can to a full tank, for preventative maintenance every few thousand miles.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The can does suggest a ratio.....all the ones I have ever purchased anyway.

I think they say 1-2oz per gallon, based on application.

I generally add about 1/3-1/2 can to a full tank, for preventative maintenance every few thousand miles.
One to 2 ounces per gallon is what I find they recommend on their web-site ( thanks henerythe8th). See Sea Foam | Tech Info - Gas Engines

The can I have says nothing about mixture recommendations.

·
Evolving Curmudgeon
1,119 Posts
Pretty sure the can says "Treats 'X' gallons" but I can't recall what x is.

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
Searched the files, and aside from a lot of pro and con and a few fist fights, I don't see any mention of what mix ratio to use, that is, how many ounces per gallon of gasoline. The can does not say either. Techron, which I've used in the past on carburetored bikes, is one ounce per gallon. Anyone know what Sea Foam ratio is recommended?
The proper seafoam to fuel ratio is 0 to 1 :new_shitsmiley:

·
Registered
16 Posts
I regularly use 1oz. per gallon. Seems like a good preventative measure. Once in a while the stuff goes on sale at Menards, and I will pick up a few cans. Also, My family has this great system of gifting stuff that we actually use. On my last birthday, My dad gave me 3 bottles of Sea-foam. No reason not to use it.

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
My dad gave me 3 bottles of Sea-foam. No reason not to use it.
And also no reason to put it in your gas tank.
Whenever I need to clean stuff (carbs, injectors, etc.), I just soak it in gasoline, it does a great job; I can't see the point in adding chemicals to the best detergent I could find.
But I guess it hasn't been proven to harm the engine, so go ahead and waste your dad's money...

I've heard some good reports about seafoam's placebo effect, so I won't diss it too hard. I'll just say that it's no substitute for good maintenance and that it's unnecessary if proper maintenance is performed (to me, proper maintenance includes riding your bike every day).

Letting abike sit for months is definitely bad news; maybe seafoam can "revive" it, but I think one'd be better off just not letting it sit. What's the point of a vehicle you don't use?

·
Registered
145 Posts
"Letting abike sit for months is definitely bad news; maybe seafoam can "revive" it, but I think one'd be better off just not letting it sit. What's the point of a vehicle you don't use?"

Snow and ice all over the roads for months at a time discourages motorcycle riding... I've been known to break mine out on a sunny winter afternoon if the streets are more or less clear of snow and ice, but not often. Then there's all the nasty liquid de-icer on the roads and the sand in the turns... Good reasons why so many people let their bikes sit out the winter. Good call.

Oh yeah - I've had good success with Seafoam allowing a quick, trouble-free start up to the riding season after sitting through all that snow and ice for weeks or months at a time.

Regards, Guy

·
$tromtrooper
845 Posts
Nothing wrong with using Seafoam. We have had good results using it in our shop. We use it in our Motovac machine (engine carboncleaner) and have checked engines before and after with a borescope. Big difference. Once had a vehicle come in with a knock that sounded like a bad rod. We suspected a carbon knock and ran seafoam through the Motovac a few times and knock was gone. As for the mix ratio all depends on what you want to do. For maintenance I would use 1/4 can per tank and for cleaning you can add a full can. I wouldn't use it in the oil on any wet clutch engine.

·
$Whatever$
1,599 Posts
"Letting abike sit for months is definitely bad news; maybe seafoam can "revive" it, but I think one'd be better off just not letting it sit. What's the point of a vehicle you don't use?"

Snow and ice all over the roads for months at a time discourages motorcycle riding... I've been known to break mine out on a sunny winter afternoon if the streets are more or less clear of snow and ice, but not often. Then there's all the nasty liquid de-icer on the roads and the sand in the turns... Good reasons why so many people let their bikes sit out the winter. Good call.

Oh yeah - I've had good success with Seafoam allowing a quick, trouble-free start up to the riding season after sitting through all that snow and ice for weeks or months at a time.

Regards, Guy
That's what we do when we go though are yearly ice age.....

·
$Whatever$
1,599 Posts
No kidding, seems like it was snowing here like a few weeks ago.............

·
Registered
64 Posts
Good stuff we use it as a fuel stablizer for our generator and use it frequently in small engines throughout summer months.

As far as placebo effect my last bike YZF600R (carbed) developed a flat spot after a 1200 mile weekend trip after fueling at a no name gas station on the return trip home. After running seafoam through the tank for a few fillups the flat spot eventually cleared up saving a couple hundred dollars having all 4 carbs pulled and cleaned.

I find it kinda pricey but it most definately works.

·
Welfare Funder
375 Posts
On a related note, it did fix my weed wacker. I couldn't get it to idle or run well at all after sitting over the winter. After using Seafoam in heavy doses it runs and idles flawlessly.

No placebo effect, just the cold, hard truth.

·
Premium Member
3,132 Posts
Hmmm...I might pick up a can and experiment on my sputtery 2-stroke snowblower....with my luck, the stuff will prolly eat the crankshaft seals!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts