StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a new EK chain and sprocket set from Blair. I ordered a screw type master link with the chain. Anyone tried these links? If so, how do they hold up?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Quite a few people have used them. I have yet to see a report of a problem.

·
Registered
944 Posts
I installed one and didn't like the way to 'looked'. Removed it and went with a rivet type.

·
Registered
15,613 Posts
"I installed one and didn't like the way to 'looked'."

That's an interesting observation. When I look at my chain I'm looking for rust and kinks and wear, not aesthetics.
You must have a heightened sense of moto fashion.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
I have one on now, no problems so far. I didn't like the way it "looked" either, so I consulted a stylist and a light touch of eye shadow fixed it right up.:green_lol:

·
Registered
706 Posts
Ok, to edumucate the masses not in the know...these just screw on the chain? Any special tools needed? Do they get the red loctite or something?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the pic, RC. I think I'll give it a shot. Mastery...the link uses small nuts to press the outer plate onto the link studs. Once the plate is snug, the studs snap off as seen in RC's photo. One bloke on another forum put 10-32 nuts with blue thread locker on the remaining threads as added insurance, but I doubt that it's needed. Thanks, everyone, for your input. I'll post a report after 10000 miles or so.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Ha! By not liking the way it looked I meant the rivets and plate just didn't look right to me.

"I installed one and didn't like the way to 'looked'."

That's an interesting observation. When I look at my chain I'm looking for rust and kinks and wear, not aesthetics.
You must have a heightened sense of moto fashion.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Ha! By not liking the way it looked I meant the rivets and plate just didn't look right to me
No, we heard you OK. But "didn't look right" still falls short of an actual description of what bothered you. My entire Wee-Strom "doesn't look right" but I still love it.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
The remaining stud sticking out in that picture is to be snapped off once the actual unit is pinned together correctly. Installed one of Blair's kits on a buddies 1000 before we left to go out west , haven't thought of it since.

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
When chain replacement time rolls around, I'm going with one of the screw type links. I won't need to buy a special tool to put the chain on, and you don't have to be concerned about getting a rivet set in just the right way.

·
Registered
15,613 Posts
"My entire Wee-Strom "doesn't look right" but I still love it.

Lordy, ain't it the truth! After a couple get offs they start to have a fractured patina that might qualify as a Road Warrior ride.:green_lol:
Yeah, those bolt on masters are ugly but they are hard to see at speed and one you get some black lube on them they disappear.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Fair enough. I did not like the 'flair' on the pins. One nut seemed to shear too soon and the plate was not perfectly straight.

No, we heard you OK. But "didn't look right" still falls short of an actual description of what bothered you. My entire Wee-Strom "doesn't look right" but I still love it.

·
Registered
631 Posts
The remaining stud sticking out in that picture is to be snapped off once the actual unit is pinned together correctly. Installed one of Blair's kits on a buddies 1000 before we left to go out west , haven't thought of it since.
I'm looking at the same pic and it looks like it's already been snapped off.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Yep , your right. I thought it was more flush than that , but I guess not. :var_6:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts