StromTrooper banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2014 DL650A, 2019 DL650XT
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never before used a chain oiler so thought I would give one a try on my new 2019 650. I ordered directly from Scottoiler in the UK and paid just over $100USD including shipping to my US address. This price was with a 20% discount. I chose the vSystem, the model that is vacuum controlled mainly because it seemed like the simplest to install. I really didn't want to add a bunch of wiring or mount a control panel somewhere, the vSystem has only the vacuum hose and the hose that feeds oil to the chain.

The first challenge was to determine where to locate the oiler reservoir. There were not a lot of options that I could see, the photo below shows the location I chose on the rear frame diagonal. I would have liked to move it up a bit further on the frame but there's a gusset that interfered with mounting and I didn't want to drill any holes in the frame. I used zip ties to mount it. Time will tell how this location works out, hopefully I won't be hitting it with my boots when riding. Although the oil tube looks like it's very close to the chain, there's about an inch of separation and I think it will be OK.

The photo below shows how I mounted the oil dispenser on the swingarm. Although not shown very well here, the diagonal opening on the tube where it contacts the sprocket should be facing away from the sprocket. This is to keep dirt from being pushed into the tube and clogging it.

The final thing to do was to connect the oiler reservoir to a vacuum port. (The following photo is from the right side of the bike.) Unlike some earlier generations, the 3rd generation bikes do not have an unused vacuum port on the throttle body so I needed to use a T fitting to tap into the vacuum line. Rather than cut the existing hose I purchased some hose from an auto parts store and used a couple of inches to make the connection between the T fitting and the vacuum port on the throttle body. I then carefully snaked the vacuum line to the left side of the bike and back to the oiler reservoir.

Once all connections were secured and the oil line primed, the final task was to calibrate the oiler. This is done by starting the motor and watching the oil drip from the dispenser. The instructions call for one drip every 60 seconds.That seems like a lot of oil to me but I guess I can always reduce the flow if it seems to be too much.

The weather is too crappy right now to ride but as soon as I can I will ride for an hour or two and see how much oil gets dispensed onto the chain. I plan to update this thread with my observations.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I installed an electronic Scottoiler on my 2019 Vstrom 650xt, soon after I bought the bike new last year. The bike has over 14,000 miles on it and I've only had to adjusted the drive chain just 1 time.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I aldo instslled vsystem on my 2020. I found a suitable vacuum line on the left side of the bike under the gas tank

·
Registered
1 Posts
I installed an electronic Scottoiler on my 2019 Vstrom 650xt, soon after I bought the bike new last year. The bike has over 14,000 miles on it and I've only had to adjusted the drive chain just 1 time.
Hi, I'm looking to install the eSystem on my 2020 650XT, can you tell me where you installed the reservoir?

Thanks

·
Registered
2020 V-Strom 650
19 Posts
Mine is installed in the same location as the OP's bike pictured.
I put mine in the same location as well. Some times it keeps dripping oil even after the bike is parked. I'm not sure what the problem is. Turning off the Scottoiler (X System version) almost always takes care of the problem but the thing is supposed to be left on all the time.

Edit: Correction: Mine is a little higher up but on the same bracket thing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts