StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have or has anyone fitted one of these devices?
If so was it easy to fit?
And did you use the universal kit or is there a specific kit that is better than the rest for the Strom?
Finally if you fitted one would you go for the extra expense of the dual feed injector?

http://www.scottoiler.com

I'm tempted by this bit of kit but before I spend my money i'd like to know if its loved or loathed?

·
Registered
156 Posts
I've had a scottoiler on my GS1200 since new. It gave me 26000 km on the chain and sprockets, and would have ben a lot more except for a mistake I made which stretched one section of the chain. :(

I have ordered a new one to be supplied with my new K6.

I had the last one installed by the Suzuki stealership, but they made such a poor job of the installation that I had to redo it myself. I shall carry out the entire installation myself for this one.

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
Just to calrify, I didn't say or mean to imply "don't buy this. Buy that." I don't have any personal experience with any chain lube system so I will defer to others.

I just thought you might want to check it out so you know what other options you have. By all means check out the Loobman as well and buy the one that best suits your needs and budget.

The thing I like about the Pro-oiler is that it is automated according to mileage rather than time and it is fully adjustable while riding. You can turn it up if you go through a rain storm or turn it off if you're stuck in a traffic jam so you don't soak your tire. And you can do it all without stopping. Is it worth 10 times as much as a Loobman? That's your call.

The Scottoiler can only be adjusted at stops and will continue to drip oil as long as the engine is running, whether the bike is moving or not. And it will drop the same amount of oil on the chain in a given time period regardless of speed.

The Loobman is manually operated but should (according to their website) only be charged at stops and the bottle has to be mounted within reach.

Like I say, these conclusions are from published literature not from personal experience so feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
This is what I'm using and I'm a shade over 38,000km so far or 23,000+ miles. Cheap and it works

Heavy said:
Don't listen to Vstromper, get a Loobman!

http://www.chainoiler.co.uk/

Not expensive and very simple.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had a Loobman about five years ago, couldn't get on with it. I also found the build quality lacking.

On the new Strom I've got a Scottoiler, which I had fitted by the dealer when I bought the bike. Too early to comment on the usability yet but the installation is good.

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
Vstromper said:
Just to calrify,...so feel free to correct me if I am wrong.
Hey Vstromper, my post was supposed to be taken with a smile, a large smile. I meant no harm by it. I've never used either system before so I'm not talking from experience. I did just order a Loobman recently. I figure, for the few bucks it cost I can't go wrong. Even if I only learn that I hate it. :)

·
Registered
264 Posts
What I don't understand is why get one of these when other people don't even lube there chains with anything other than Wd-40. Is there any facts out there as to whether or not we need to be this anal with chain lubrication on todays sealed o-ring chains?
I've been using a chain wax myself so far.

·
Registered
319 Posts
d2mini said:
What I don't understand is why get one of these when other people don't even lube there chains with anything other than Wd-40. Is there any facts out there as to whether or not we need to be this anal with chain lubrication on todays sealed o-ring chains?
Same here.. Chain wax, when I get home, if I remember.. :wink:

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks chaps

I use chain wax at the moment, and its a pain getting the old grotty stuff off and I don't like the yellow residue between changes. As for being anal; I paid 5 and a bit grand english for the bike brand new, and as far as i'm concerned every bit of of it is valuable and worth maintaining even if its a bit nerdy. I do use WD40 to loosen up the old wax though.

And finally i'll check out the other two oiler options and availability asap.

Thanks for the replies.

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
d2mini said:
Go on a trip for a couple of weeks 2-up. The space taken by a can of spray lube could equal 3 pairs of underwear and a pair of socks.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Heavy said:
Go on a trip for a couple of weeks 2-up. The space taken by a can of spray lube could equal 3 pairs of underwear and a pair of socks.
Ya, i understand that part. I guess what I'm asking is what about the people who say that modern chains don't need to be lubricated (oil, wax, etc) very often or even at all, just keep it fairly clean?

It seems like they may be one extreme and these chain oilers may be the other extreme.

I'm just asking because i have no idea myself. Like Grim says, I want to protect my new toy but I don't want to spend money on something that may not be needed.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Scottoiler

I've just fitted a Scottoiler universal kit to my DL1000 and it seems to be working a treat, the gunk previously left over from chain wax just flings off leaving the chain looking nice and new. The kit wasn't too difficult to fit, I tie wrapped it to the frame just behind where my left ankle sits when on the footpeg thus saving space under the seat where a lot of people tend to put them.

I'd say get one.

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
Night_Wolf said:
This is what I'm using and I'm a shade over 38,000km so far or 23,000+ miles. Cheap and it works

Not expensive and very simple.
wingman said:
I'll second the vote for Loobman. Its a cheap alternative but works well for me.
Can either of you post some installation pics so we can see what it looks like?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Is there a US dealer for Loobman?

Is the Loobman only available from across the pond? Or is there a vendor in the somewhere in the US?

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
Re: Is there a US dealer for Loobman?

Aerostitch carries the Loobman 8)

Here is a pic where you can see the Loobman, but you can't really "see" how it's attached. All I know is it can be finicky to get it set just right on the sprocket, but 38,000km says it's worth it.

vrox said:
Is the Loobman only available from across the pond? Or is there a vendor in the somewhere in the US?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts