StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick note on the Scotts steering stabilizer addition to the 2012 Adventure. Awesome! I have nearly every farkle made for this bike from Pivotz Pegs to Touratech headlights guards- hell, it's just money :thumbup:. Most are simply OK and add some usable features, but the Scotts is one of the few that literally transformed the bike. Got rid of the loose front end feel on and off road (yes, I have a fork brace already). It makes gravel roads a totally different experience. Like a 20 mph difference. I'm headed out to do the COBDR (Touratech's Colorado Back Country Discovery Route) on Sat and I'm so glad I added the Scotts beforehand. If you're thinking about it, do it!

Oh yeah, buy it from Blair at svracing.com. I have never dealt with him before. To say the he is a cool guy that provides top notch service would be a massive understatement.

Last thing- it won't mount up if you have traditional bar risers. I had the Tusk 30mm risers and had to remove. I ordered taller bars instead (Pro Taper SE ATV High).

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
stabilizer

did you first try adjusting the steering stem bearings - just cause its from the factory does not mean they were dead right

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
I don't notice any difference with my steering stabilizer. It only does something when there is a high speed deflection of some magnitude. It's there so I never have another tank slapper, not because it does anything for the handling.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't notice any difference with my steering stabilizer. It only does something when there is a high speed deflection of some magnitude. It's there so I never have another tank slapper, not because it does anything for the handling.
The biggest difference is off-road and rough-road cornering. I know that you don't off road your bike, so it certainly would be less noticeable, as is mine on the tarmac. As you know, it's adjustable and I have it tuned more towards the dirt side of things.

BTW- tank slappers do suck!!

·
38,103 Posts
Rough surface handling makes a big difference all right. Road construction areas with edge traps make me happy I have the Scotts.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Note that there is a difference between the Scott's stabilizer intended for off-road use (no rebound valving) and on-road (with rebound valving). Rebound damping is return-to-center damping.

·
Banned
255 Posts
Just a quick note on the Scotts steering stabilizer addition to the 2012 Adventure. Awesome! I have nearly every farkle made for this bike from Pivotz Pegs to Touratech headlights guards- hell, it's just money :thumbup:. Most are simply OK and add some usable features, but the Scotts is one of the few that literally transformed the bike. Got rid of the loose front end feel on and off road (yes, I have a fork brace already). It makes gravel roads a totally different experience. Like a 20 mph difference. I'm headed out to do the COBDR (Touratech's Colorado Back Country Discovery Route) on Sat and I'm so glad I added the Scotts beforehand. If you're thinking about it, do it!

Oh yeah, buy it from Blair at svracing.com. I have never dealt with him before. To say the he is a cool guy that provides top notch service would be a massive understatement.

Last thing- it won't mount up if you have traditional bar risers. I had the Tusk 30mm risers and had to remove. I ordered taller bars instead (Pro Taper SE ATV High).
Good stuff, glad to hear that it makes a big difference to the off road capabilities. Thats what these things are designed for and it sound likes yours will get a good use with the ride you have upcoming. Sounds spectacular and make sure to post pics of your excursion.

Finding myself off road even more I would be very interested on hearing your feedback of how this continues to perform off the beaten track. I would like to see some pictures of it as well if you can. :thumbup:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good stuff, glad to hear that it makes a big difference to the off road capabilities. Thats what these things are designed for and it sound likes yours will get a good use with the ride you have upcoming. Sounds spectacular and make sure to post pics of your excursion.

Finding myself off road even more I would be very interested on hearing your feedback of how this continues to perform off the beaten track. I would like to see some pictures of it as well if you can. :thumbup:
I'll keep you up to date. It sounds like hype, but the stabilizer really does make a big difference. To me it's a whole new bike off road.

Where in Australia are you located? I travel there often and have hired a bike on several occasions for a few weeks of riding. I'm headed back in Oct for a few weeks (Brisbane to start).

Cheers!

·
Registered
563 Posts
I've been on the fence about the stabilizer, having replaced stem bearings and tightened them just a bit. I experienced some significant buffeting the other day while getting on a local highway and being penned in by two large 18 wheelers.

Looks like I should just do it.

·
38,103 Posts
Don't expect the Scotts to eliminate wobbles on paved roads. It won't. That's about steering head bearings, tires, tire wear, load distribution and aerodynamics.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've been on the fence about the stabilizer, having replaced stem bearings and tightened them just a bit. I experienced some significant buffeting the other day while getting on a local highway and being penned in by two large 18 wheelers.

I wouldn't hesitate.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts

Hair raising experience to say the least. It is my biggest complaint with my Vee.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Thanks for the posting, I've been wondering about them and if it's worth $500 +/-.

Sounds like for more regular off-road riding, a definite plus. Regular on-road riding, not so much.

Keep us up to date on your impressions.

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
After a high side and a broken collarbone in 2003 (that nearly cost me the best job in the world) I put a Scotts Damper on my Yamaha WR450f and I love it.

It has saved my skin thousands of times, you don't know it is there until you need it.

After fixing the handling problems I was having with my Wee I made some mounts and fitted the Scotts off my WR, I loved the results and purchased one second hand and fitted it up.

To me they are cheap insurance, even one get off could easily cost more than a new damper and they can be fitted to your next bike so may even last a lifetime.

Lean from me don't wait till it is too late.

·
Banned
255 Posts
I'll keep you up to date. It sounds like hype, but the stabilizer really does make a big difference. To me it's a whole new bike off road.

Where in Australia are you located? I travel there often and have hired a bike on several occasions for a few weeks of riding. I'm headed back in Oct for a few weeks (Brisbane to start).

Cheers!
Good to hear you are visiting us downunder.:thumbup:

I am in Sydney NSW, about 1 hour west of the city. I don't think that it would be hype. Going off your testimonial and some of the riding I did last weekend I can see the benefits by having one.

Some of the trails I went on had deep sand patches and when hit at speed I could feel the bars being jerked to the side. I can imagine that this would be something that the stabilizer would help with. Is this the type of situation that you have encountered with this fitted.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Good to hear you are visiting us downunder.:thumbup:

I am in Sydney NSW, about 1 hour west of the city. I don't think that it would be hype. Going off your testimonial and some of the riding I did last weekend I can see the benefits by having one.

Some of the trails I went on had deep sand patches and when hit at speed I could feel the bars being jerked to the side. I can imagine that this would be something that the stabilizer would help with. Is this the type of situation that you have encountered with this fitted.
Yep. Sand and deep gravel at speed are much more manageable.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Nice backup system

Installed mine before riding the Dalton and Dempster in June. The bike handled fine on the varied conditions of gravel and mud that I experienced.

I can say with certainty that it was a great psychological comfort knowing I had this device to reduce or eliminate the chance of getting separated from the bike if or when exposed to challenging surface conditions. All it takes is one edge trap/rut or deep gravel that you don't see until the last second..

That alone was worth the price. Especially when hundreds of miles from medical help.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I wonder if a stabilizer would have helped with a recent occurrence.

I was going over a high rise drawbridge grate, that I've been on before, at 65 mph with my new K60 tires and experienced quite a wobble, it was truly scary, I felt a tank slapper was coming, and then thankfully I was off of it, it's only about 200 feet.

On the OEM tires it was always unnerving, but not terrifying! I'm sure the more open semi-knobby front end K60 has less rubber to meet even less steel, resulting a very squirrely ride. I'll be thinking about a detour next time for sure.

I-64 High Rise Bridge in Chesapeake, VA for the local peeps, which there a lot of here lately!

No, I didn't go over it when it was stuck open in this photo!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I live on gravel and drive gravel a lot checking crops. My 2013 vstrom was just ok on gravel, not great not terrible. Installed fork brace, didn't do much. Thought about new more aggressive tires,even ordered a set. In the waiting process I installed a scotts cause I have dirt bike experience with one. I think it's more impressive on the vstrom than my ktm. Greatly improved gravel road handling . Most noticeable is when I'm angling across crop rows I no longer get the bar jerking when a hit a rut or corn stalk. I'm thrilled with mine. I put on 3.5" risers and the dampner fits perfect .

1 - 20 of 57 Posts