StromTrooper banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at adding a Scott Oiler (vacuum system) to my DL1000 for an upcoming trip, but I have some questions.

1) Do I have to use the Scott oil in the system? I know their website says to use their oil, but I'm wondering if anyone uses regular oil w/o any problems. I normally use a 60w oil to lube my chain.

2) When I did a search I found a lot of people talking about the touring model or having the high capacity reservoir; however, I couldn't find these on their website. Am I blind or do they not carry these anymore? Can I add my own reservoir on later?

I'm thinking about mounting it in the cowl up front or along the frame underneath. I use all of the room in my storage under the seat. I can get rid of the can of chain lube that came with the bike, but I'm also putting in a PC-8 under there as well.

Anyone know where to get the system for cheap?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Check the Scottoiler website, they have a special at the moment 10% off and free shipping in the US. Coupon code is V10.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool!! That coupon code works. Thanks for the info! Do you know anything about my other questions?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Can't answer your other questions yet!!!! I ordered mine a couple of days ago cost an extra $30.00 for shipment to Australia:headbang: From what I have read I believe that you can run any oil through the unit within reason, the limiting factor will be the viscosity of the oil as it works on a "drip" system, the valve is opened by a vacuum connection when the engine is running. i think that there is a fair range of adjustment on the unit to get to the desired 2 drops per minute. I intend to experiment when the unit arrives. I have done a fair amount of research and this unit appears to get the thumbs up from the majority of users and I know some that are not using the proprietary oil.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I'm with randyo. I use ATF, too.

I mounted my oiler under the left cover. It's a little fiddly to add oil, but not too bad. The unit is out of the way and doesn't take up useable space. Being vertical allows more of the oil in the reservoir to be used.

I keep the flow adjusted very low. I like my chain to have a coating of lubricant, but not be wet. I generally go a couple of thousand miles before having to refill the reservoir.

If anyone is interested, here is the dispenser.

Ron :mrgreen:

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
60w may be kinda heavy
I was using that because the manual says "oil it with a heavy-weight motor oil."

Would something like 10w-40 be better in the Scott Oiler. Just trying to figure this out before I order one.

·
Registered
22,426 Posts
I was using that because the manual says "oil it with a heavy-weight motor oil."

Would something like 10w-40 be better in the Scott Oiler. Just trying to figure this out before I order one.
ya, I think 10w-40 would be better than 60w BUT why not Automatic Tansmission Fluid ? AFT is higher in dispersants/detergent, helps keep dirt in suspension better than plain oil

60w is stickier and I can see using it if you clean & oil manually, lighter weight oil would all fling, but with a scottoiler, yer applying oil to the chain constantly

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ya, I think 10w-40 would be better than 60w BUT why not Automatic Tansmission Fluid ? AFT is higher in dispersants/detergent, helps keep dirt in suspension better than plain oil

60w is stickier and I can see using it if you clean & oil manually, lighter weight oil would all fling, but with a scottoiler, yer applying oil to the chain constantly
No reason not to I guess. I had been oiling my chain manually, but now I'm looking at the oiler.

So you guys just run regular ATF through it without any problems? I would hate to damage a $130 system.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Scott has two different oils available, one for cold temps (blue in color), and one for hot temps (red in color). I'm reasonably confident that the red is ATF.

I wouldn't go back to Scott's oil for the reasons Randyo mentioned. Plus, ATF is much cheaper and readily available.

BTW, I have been using Scott oilers for over 110,000 miles on different bikes. I've only been using ATF in them for about 15,000 miles.

Ron :mrgreen:

·
Registered
813 Posts
Mine was on the bike (under RHS sidecover) when I got it and is a bit of a pig to get at but I can adjust it where it is ok.

I've since added a lube tube for a bit more capacity.

Currently running the blue oil as that's what came with the lube tube. Any idea whether ATF would be suitable for the temps we get over here. Say 0-30 degrees Celcius?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have the Scottoiler touring kit and recommend it. In your case, where underseat space is at a premium, it would be best as it mounts behind the reg plate. (I think you guys call it a tag?):thumbup:

·
Registered
22,426 Posts
I have the Scottoiler touring kit and recommend it. In your case, where underseat space is at a premium, it would be best as it mounts behind the reg plate. (I think you guys call it a tag?):thumbup:
I mounted the touring kit to the rear fender on my SV650, never again, maybe ok if yer on smooth roads, for me, too much vibration, soon the meter became loose in the mount, it leaked, not only oil out, but water in when it rained, the vibrations emulsified the water & oil :thumbdown:

I like the "lube tube" a lot better than the touring reservoir

best place to mount a touring reservoir on a Wee is where the left muffler would be if it were a Vee

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts