StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
i like scorpion riding gear.

i think they offer a lot for the money.

i LOVE my scorpion xdr master hi-viz jacket.

ymmv

be well.

rob

·
Registered
512 Posts
I got the suits yesterday. The XL is too small and the XXL is a bit large in the legs and arms but a bit small in the waist. I'm 5' 11" and 230. The drawbacks of being overweight. The suit seems like it will be very warm. Like only good to about 70 degrees before it's too warm. For $200 I'll keep it but I wouldn't pay $450 for it. On the other hand my 10 year old Motoport Ultra jacket and pants have been fantastic.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I also bought the Passport suit on closeout from Motorcycle Superstore for $ 219. I have been using it for about a week now and wanted to give some initial thoughts. I bought this as an alternative to my high-viz Olympia Phantom suit as something that would not show the dirt so much. My primary use of a suit is to go over my business clothing (suit and tie) as a daily commuter to the office.

First, in regards to the sizing: I am 5'10" and 200 lbs, with a 16 inch neck, 33 inch arms, 44 inch chest and my dress slacks are 36x30. From the sizing chart, I could go with a size Large. But after reading the comments on the suit, and based on my experience with the Olympia suit, I bought it two sizes larger, to ensure that the suit with liner would fit over my business clothes. I bought the Olympia suit a size larger, and it does not fit with the liner in over my business clothes. At the time I bought it, I did not know that Olympia gear runs small, otherwise I would have bought it two sizes larger. It does fit over my business clothes without the liner.

I tried the XXL Passport on at home with the liner in over my business attire. It was pretty snug and the distance between the collar and crotch is tight. It was less snug with the liner out. This makes me wonder if the XXXL size would have been a better choice. The leg length is much better than the Olympia suit: I have to roll the cuffs of the Olympia suit up three inches so that they do not drag on the ground. The Passport cuffs are fine as is. The arm length is also good.

The legs of the Passport suit are kind of loose, and the cuffs get hung up on the pegs of my DL650, so I have to be real careful to spread my legs wide when coming to a stop. I had one event where my left leg got hung up on the peg when stopping, and I almost dumped the bike. The Passport has leg gaiters with a silicone elastic band on the inside, much like my snow pants. My feet get hung up on the gaiters every time when donning or doffing the suit. After years of owning suits, I always take my shoes off when putting the suit off or on because it is such a hassle trying to fit the shoes through the legs and zipping and velcroing the side zippers.

The Phantom suit has more and more useful pockets than the Passport suit. Due to the temporary attack of good weather here in Seattle, I have not been able to try out the venting or the rain resistance of the Passport suit.

The Passport armor feels much more comfortable than the armor in the Phantom suit. The knee armor is placed oddly, and I sure hope it protects me in a crash.

I really like the magnet closure over the main zipper of the Passport. Dealing with all the velcro on the Phantom suit is a pain. The Phantom seems to be better constructed, or at least I cannot see much in the way of double-needle seams on the Passport.

All in all, I think this suit is a good value at the $ 219 price point; I would not pay over $ 400 for it. Be sure to buy this a size or three larger than the size chart indicates, depending on what clothing you will be wearing underneath it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts