StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in the suzuki dealership today and tried on one of the Scorpion Exo series helmets and it was much more comfortable than my old Shoei. They came in 3 different models:

400 series (polycarbonate shell, $139)
700 series (fiberglass / kevlar shell, $200)
1000 series (like the 700 series but with a flip-down sun visor feature, $320)

I assume that the fiberglass / kevlar shells will be lighter and stronger than polycarbonate shells and worth the extra dollars.

Does anyone have any experience with these helmets, in particular with relation to wind noise and general comfort? It's one thing to stand in the showroom for 2 minutes, entirely another to have it on for 3 hrs at 80mph.

·
Premium Member
3,056 Posts
I've had 2 400's and 2 700's. Liked both, though I favor the 700 that's in use now. The antifog is what sold me(PNW, think rain.) There are quieter helmets, but its not bad. The shape fit my nogan well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I started out with a 1000 as my first helmet, and since have had a few 400s. After switching from the 1000 to the 400, I like the 400 a lot better. I initially bought the 1000 for the flip down sun shield, but the tinting is very light, so it doesn't do much. Now I just have two visors for my 400, which are really easy to swap out.

General comfort is good for me. The shape fits my head well, and I've worn them on multiple few-thousand-mile trips with no comfort issues. I can't really comment on noise since I've never worn another brand and I always wear earplugs anyways.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
I have had 2 400 and the 100 and liked them alot.
Only went to HJC because I wanted a modular and the 900 did not fit me right:headbang:
Still have a 400 and 100 as back ups.
Mike

·
Registered
15,907 Posts
I've got a horribly trashed EXO1000 in the garage that saved my head bone. I like 'em! I replaced the broken one with another but in Silver.
I've also got a 400 I bought and haven't worn much. The features and fit of the 1000 is mo bettah!
Folks can talk smack about a less expensive helmet but road testing one has confirmed
the quality of it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have something like 3 or 4 EXO-400s. I lost count. I started buying them as backup/passenger helmets when people posted them online for under $50 with a mirror or tinted shield as I can swap them with my main helmet's if they are cleaner :thumbup:

Spend the $7.50 and get the aero skirt if the helmet doesn't come with one. It'll cut away all wind entering the helmet from the area between your chin and the helmet for a much more comfortable ride :yesnod:

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Good helmets if they fit. My EXO-700 is a good fit for my oval head. For example, Shoei (excellent helmet) is the wrong fit for me, too round.

EXO-400 has been replaced by the 500 series. EXO-700 has been replaced by the 750. 1000 will probably be replaced by the 1100. Nothing wrong with the older versions if they haven't been sitting in a warehouse and aging for several years (date sticker is under the removable liner), and the price may be really right. The newer models are not Snell certified.

·
Registered
15,907 Posts
Snell has fallen out of favor. The new ones are DOT and Euro approved.
Essentially the same thing, tested and approved.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Snell may have fallen out of favor, but their new M2010 standards are the best IMO. DOT is weak. ECE is better.

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
I have the scorpion Modular helmet, had to ship it back 3 times for repairs. Twice for the top vent, it just broke off. The the Chin gaurd broke when the helmet fell off the bike. Helmet is very comfortable - love the moudular style and extra sunshield. But if it falls apart when it falls 2 feet, don't want to know what will happen at 80mph
The wifes exo 1000 we returned three times because the neck liner was falling off. The dealer said it's the heat, our reply is why seel it in a desert area:confused: Made no sense to us. At third return he gave her the money back.

Wife went with arai, I'm looking at the new HJC modular.

·
Registered
15,907 Posts
but their new M2010 standards are the best IMO. DOT is weak

Something of the nature of weight of smaller heads vs the testing they had done. Different criteria.
All of them are better than those silly beanies worn by the cruiser folk.

·
Registered
780 Posts
but their new M2010 standards are the best IMO. DOT is weak

Something of the nature of weight of smaller heads vs the testing they had done. Different criteria.
All of them are better than those silly beanies worn by the cruiser folk.
DOT rating is the bare minimum safety rating. All of the "tupperware" helmets that some of the HD/cruiser type riders are wearing just have the DOT rating only and in my opinion are dangerous. The older Snell 2005 rating is still a decent choice until superceded by the Snell 2010 tag.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
I had an EXO 700 that seemed like a great helmet, but I made the mistake of buying online and did not realize it was the wrong shape for my egg, er head. It is a somewhat medium to narrow oval, so not good if you have a round head. I think the 400 is a little more round.

FWIW, I read an article somewhere in the last year (bike magazine?) that said it's possible DOT helmets are safer than Snell rated helmets for normal street riding, because there is more elasticity to the shell.

Here is a helpful likn for assessing various helmets:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmets.htm

·
Registered
90 Posts
I bought 400 series last year, after the break-in period,seemed a little tight at first. :confused: I don't know if helmet conformed to my head or my head to the helmet :green_lol:but really comfortable now.:thumbup: Very good helmet for the money. You usually can get a deal online.:yesnod:

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
FWIW, I read an article somewhere in the last year (bike magazine?) that said it's possible DOT helmets are safer than Snell rated helmets for normal street riding, because there is more elasticity to the shell.
Any Snell certified helmet sold in the U.S. will also have the DOT cert.

Before 2010, the Snell motorcycle helmet standards were very much inclined toward penetration protection and less so for shock absorption. The newest Snell standard, M2010, has shock absorption that is equal or better, depending on head weight/size, than DOT and Europe, and still has the superior penetration protection.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Have a 1000 series that the removable liner in it is finally shot.
I replaced it with a 900 series modular.
It is tight at first, but breaks to fit my head nicely.
I am happy with them, they fit the shape of my head well.

·
Vendor
5,008 Posts
HI Everyone, I have used the Scorpions for a number of years now and find them to be good value for money,

Lot's of guys I know use them at tracks all over the US and beyond,

I have both the full face for more serious riding and the modular for the street and touring and have no real complaint with either, especially considering the price,

As for noise, I use custom ear plugs that let me hear the sounds I need to and block the harmful noises, so I have no problem there.

I also do not have any issue with wind or unwanted air penetration on the ones I have owned.

Anyone on the fence and looking for a well prices very adequate helmet is encouraged to put the Scorpion on their short list of good value helmets,

Enjoy the ride, and best regards everyone,
Blair

·
Registered
111 Posts
scorp

I have ex900 and im not impressed. It doesn't fit my head like myhjc it feels like someone is squeezing my jawbonethe tinted internal visor could be darker.. I will be looking at nolans next.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I have ex900 and im not impressed. It doesn't fit my head like myhjc it feels like someone is squeezing my jawbonethe tinted internal visor could be darker.. I will be looking at nolans next.

Just like a high-end Arai and Shoei, Scorpions don't fit every head shape....

Didn't you try your helmet on before you bought it? And did the visor tint lighten after you wore it a couple of times?

Visor tint is more middle of the road to accomodate a wide brand of preferences and still be acceptable in low light conditions.

Generally Scorpions run one size smaller than than most other brands.
I own four Scorpions, a 1000, 2,700s' and a EXO400. I find them to be an excellent value and of very good quality.

I dropped one of my helmets and broke a plastic air vent and Scorpion bent over backwards and shipped a replacement within two days coming from CA to MI.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts