StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The quietest helmet I've ever had is my Scorpion EXO-700 but I'm beginning to really like the modular helmets (using a Bell now) so, before I drop three bills, has anyone any experience with the Scorpion EXO-900?

·
Registered
382 Posts
Really the quietest? My EXO-400 is not too bad with the visor open, which is how I normally ride, but VERY loud with the visor closed. I like the price, so was considering the 700 or 750, which seem to get better reviews in this area. Can others confirm this?

·
Premium Member
7,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Really the quietest? My EXO-400 is not too bad with the visor open, which is how I normally ride, but VERY loud with the visor closed. I like the price, so was considering the 700 or 750, which seem to get better reviews in this area. Can others confirm this?
I ride with the windshield in the lowest position to wind hits me at the top of my chest and above. I'm 5'11" with a 30" inseam so take that into your calculations.

I would imagine the noise level has as much to do with helmet fit, windshield height and posture as anything else but for me it seems the EXO-700 actually cancels mid-range frequencies. The first time I wore it on a long trip I tried my usual earbuds for tunes but discovered the mid-range was washed out in the helmet . . . your results may vary.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
wore one for 2.5 years. actually you can see it in my avatar. never really liked it. chin bar was VERY close to face, as in i could touch it with my tongue, and i'm not a former member of KISS.

lots of buffeting as well.

·
Premium Member
2,813 Posts
I've had the 400, 700 and now the 900. The 700 was quieter and better fitting than the 400 by a small, but noticeable amount. The 700 and 900 are about the same in the noise and comfort department. The ease of taking it on and off make the 900 a winner. Can do both without removing my glasses or hearing aids.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I have one in the hi/vis it is alright, fairly quiet, doesn't fog up, is not terribly cool though on hot days. Got it after my wreck so insurance paid for it. I am happy with it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have had mine for over a year and I really like it. The lining hasn't crushed like the last HJC I had. They run small and I have to have the chin bar open to put it on but it's very comfortable and quiet.

·
Registered
327 Posts
You're supposed to open the chin bar so it spreads........ I've had a 900 after a few other modulars, and it's pretty good. This year I tried on a buddy's Shoei Neotec and was instantly sold, so I eventually got one. That definitely ups the ante in the quiet department and more comfortable too. Tighter in the cheek pads, and I now have to take my glasses off to put the helmet on. Yes it costs quite a step up from the 900, but I wouldn't go back. Up from there is the Schuberth.....

But, the 900 is good all around and quieter than the HJC's and Nolan's that I've had. Decent money too, if budget is a concern.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I purchased a 900 mainly because it fit my knoggin so well. The modular design really helps with putting on/taking off. I don't really have an answer as far as noise is concerned because this is my first new helmet. I wear earplugs when traveling any distance at all, but not for my 6.5 mile commute to work. I like it, but that's not saying much at this point as I am new to the on-road motorcycle scene.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I've been using the 900 for a few years, and several in the group that I ride with have this helmet. For the price it is a good helmet and fits much more snugly than the HJC that I used previously.

I always wear ear plugs, which in my view are required with this helmet and most helmets in general. Works well if you are an eye glass wearer as you can put in on & off without taking your glasses off.

So if you are in the market for a good, reasonably priced helmet they should be included in your selection choice.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Fits my narrow oval head well. Any helmet will depend on how it fits you first.

I got it because I wear glasses and sip coffee like it's going out of style. The helmet doesn't fog, it a tad on the warm side in summer but it flows air through nicely when moving.

The chin bar does close close to the face, but the helmet feels solid and well fit. It doesn't move around on my head at all and is comfortable for 6-8 hour rides. I did have buffeting but changing the windshield helped with it.

Noise: It's quiet enough to not wear ear plugs but it gets louder with a cross wind. It whistles when I stand on the pegs and get a ton of clean air across the sides. I think it's coming from where the shield meets the helmet.

I use an intercom system with the helmet and no one I talk to even knows I'm riding while talking to them. I've had mine for 3 years and haven't had reason to replace it with anything else yet.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've had the EXO-900 in "don't hit me" hi-vis yellow for several years now. I just bought the Lazer Monaco as a replacement.

The EXO-900 was a good helmet overall. Some thoughts:
  • Noise level was moderate. It goes down if you use the air bladder along the neck, or in cold weather use a neck gaiter. I always use earplugs when riding, so YMMV.
  • Comfort. It was tight at first in the cheeks. Padding compressed over time. As someone already said, if you raise the chin bar, you can get it on easily.
  • It sucked in rain. I live in Seattle, so this is important and one of the biggest reasons I replaced it. The Scorpion logo is positioned in the middle as you'd expect. The visor seal makes a dip there to make room for the logo. As a result, water collects there, then runs down the inside of the visor right in the middle where you're trying to look through.

The fog coating didn't work well in Seattle weather. You'd have to crack the visor open to eliminate the fogging...which then allowed the rain to come in. The water would make the visor about as clear as a bathroom window till it drained off.
  • Chin Bar Release. This works well...till it breaks. I've replaced the chin bar twice now, and I expect if I hadn't relegated the helmet to a backup, I'd be replacing it soon again. This time would probably be on my nickel though. And it only breaks when you're trying to lift the chin bar up. It is a pain to pry the helmet off your ears when this happens.
  • Scorpion Customer Service. They are great. Absolutely great. When the chin bar release cable broke the first time, the only question was where to ship a new chin bar to. The second time was about the same. No cost to me at all. Extremely nice people to work with.

Chris

·
Registered
5 Posts
GMAX S 54 Reviews are good

RECOMMEND GMAX s 54 Modular Helmet (under $150)

Yesterday my Christmas present arrived. With over 2" of sleet on the ground i must put off a test ride until next weekend. I did much research on modulars and came up with this one for $122 of Jafrum. Look on YouTube and you will find review of it and Nolan. I especially like the built in LED tail light. Has build in visor and 8 vents. It is a Texas summer helmet.

·
Registered
32 Posts
great bucket

ive had mine for about 2 years now and love it. the chin bar release snapped on me since i am a little ham-handed sometimes. instead of replacing it, i repaired it by soldering heavy 10-gauge wire directly to the cables that the little plastic bit attaches to. I can post pics if anyone is interested.
i actually prefer it that way since i find having a little cable loop a lot easier to grab than the plastic bit.
overall the helmet is very good for the price point (for mine for $300 canadian after tax), it isnt loo loud (but I always wear earplugs when out of the city) and I will defenitely never be going back to a non-modular helmet.

·
Registered
29 Posts
EXO-900 review

From a rider on another forum:

Fit
I've found that the Scorpion brand tends to run small. I normally wear a medium, or even a small helmet. But I couldn't even get the medium model over my ears. The large fits me quite well. The 900 comes with a little integrated pump that you can use to inflate the cheek pads for improved fit. For me, it's not really an issue so I don't use it. I found some internal sunshields would drop down and rest on my nose; not the 900 -- the internal shield drops down far enough to provide better protection than any pair of sunglasses, but still stay well off my nose.

Ventilation
Weak, at best. I'm probably overly sensitive to heat, so I appreciate some nice airflow when temps get even into the low 70s. Even with my Concours' stock windshield directing a lot of air to the top of my helmet, not much makes it's way into the top vent to cool my scalp. I really can't comment on whether the chinbar vent helps much -- the Connie provides so much wind protection that the front of my helmet barely receives a light breeze, even at highway speeds. As a result, there's not much air moving in that way either.

Finish
I'd give this one a strong moderate. The first thing I noticed shortly after starting to wear the helmet was that the paint chipped easily. I've never dropped the helmet, but I can find small chips in the paint all over the leading surfaces. A few weeks back I also noticed that a small rivet holding part of the internal shell in place had broken. The part it attached wasn't crucial and was still in place, so I left it alone. Then, a few weeks ago, I noticed that the chinbar didn't seem to click into place in the up position like it used to. The edges on the plastic pivot have started to round off. I wondered why the helmet came with 2 replacement pivots; now I know. Once I replaced the pivots, the chinbar clicked into place like before.

Noise
Disappointing. One of the reasons I decided to get a new helmet was because I thought it might offer better noise reduction. I was wrong, at least in the case of the 900. There was no significant reduction in wind noise from what I had with my much older Shoei. While I very much like the convenience of a modular helmet, I very well may go back to a FF with my next helmet to get better noise reduction.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I find mine somewhat noisy, the visor leaks in the middle, it gets foggy, and somehow causes a lot of pain at my left ear. Having worn only a couple different helmets, I still like it OK, especially at the price point

·
Premium Member
4,254 Posts
My 700 is as quiet as the inside of a tornado. It leaks around the face shield, has no measurable ventilation, and fogs up quite easily. The people I have talked to about their 900's complain of nearly the same problems except the 900 is even more noisy.

But mine fits my head perfectly.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts