Votes: 8 13.1%
  • It Depends

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • I'm too cranky to wave at anyone

Votes: 3 4.9%
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sunday as rode into town I passed a motorcyclist coming towards me, waved, and a minute later encountered a scooter...and did not. Just didn't feel right. I would have if we were out on a lonely road, but in town, just no.

So what's your policy when it comes to giving scoots the wave?

Registered
I used to wave at every helmeted person. Didn't matter what they were riding.
Now I don't initiate the wave but I'll usually wave back.

I don't do the HD 2 finger down at the road "I'm to cool for you" wave though. 馃榿

Funny out in the deserted places I like going to most everybody seems to wave cars, trucks, etc. I've had truckers give me thumbs up probably because they don't see a lot of bikes out there.

Reactions: JayinVA

Registered
I don't do the HD 2 finger down at the road "I'm to cool for you" wave though. 馃榿
Odd. I always thought that meant, 'keep two wheels down, ride safe' kind of thing.

When I'm on the MC, I wave at scooters because I have one, and they are riders too. Much more waving between riders generally out on the highway than in town.

Registered
No.. I waived at a girl on a scooter she waived back...poor girl lost control and got into a 5mph tank skapper..i felt real bad...i was laughing so hard ...those lil 10 inch wheels r dangerous .
In general ill waive at anyone on 2 or 3...
Even cool cars n big rigs..but they gotta be cool.

ride often,ride true,ride smart

Registered
2012 DL650A
I used to always wave. But once, the guy on the bike pulled a U-ie and followed me for about 10 miles. I pulled over, jumped off my scoot and was really. The guy says hi and continued into a full on conversation about his life and how he was going through a rough patch with his wife and work... I was just waving! Now I wave if they wave first.

Registered
2012 DL650A
The fingers down wave is less likely to be interpreted as a hand signal by other road users. Imagine you are approaching an intersection and reach out your left arm laterally to wave at a passing motorcyclist. An oncoming car waiting to make a left turn could think you are signaling a left turn and pull in front of you.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The guy says hi and continued into a full on conversation about his life and how he was going through a rough patch with his wife and work...
Been there, but I found joining a support group was more effective than button-holing random strangers.

Registered
Used to only wave at geared up. Now I wave at everyone. Not many scooters out here. But I'd wave.

Reactions: Big Boy

Registered
I don't judge .. I node at every 2 wheeler , including, sometimes HDs, even when they don't node back, also delivery guys don't node back either.
2 wheels + helmet = get nodded
I once nodded to a grandpa in a mobility scooter crossing the street (as he was looking at the bike) and he wink and nodded back with a smile . I bet he was a rider too.

Registered
I used to always wave. But once, the guy on the bike pulled a U-ie and followed me for about 10 miles. I pulled over, jumped off my scoot and was really. The guy says hi and continued into a full on conversation about his life and how he was going through a rough patch with his wife and work... I was just waving! Now I wave if they wave first.
you may have save that poor bugger , probably he was about to kill himself if nobody paid attention to him !

Registered
2019 DL650A
I wave. I've ridden mopeds and wee little bikes, I might smile more on those little two stroke babies than I do on my "real bike." Why not throw a wave and share a smile. Life's too short to be overly exclusive.

Farkle Purchasing System
Most days I prefer to be one of Oscar Wilde's "wherever" guys rather than the "whenever" variety.

Registered
On the open road they get a wave (all but HD riders) but in the city they just get a nod of the head.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts