StromTrooper banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the wonderful things about southern Arizona is the 365 day riding weather.
The bad things?
Many of those days are either above 100 degrees or below 40. Occassionally, both on the same day!

I decided that for me to be suitably comfortable on winter morning commutes, was to get a set of leg fairings for the Strom.
This would prevent the numb toes and frozen chicken tenders.

While searching through the available brands and models, I settled on the Schwings by Kludgemeister.

Impeccable German Engineering, lithe Italian styling, expertly applied veneers.
Kludgemeister Schwings are unencumbered by these expensive constraints.
They are, in fact, just scissor-cut sheets from a roll of thirty year old fiberglass.

Amazingly, they work super well. Tested on the Interstate, I found them to do exactly as hoped, directing the air from around the entire leg and foot. There was no fluttering or noise. Although they weigh only a few ounces each, they are strengthened by their inherent S-shape. Following closely behind a large salt-water fishing boat at 90 mph (think about it), even strong turbulence did not negatively affect the Schwings.

Here is a step by step install.

Step One: Hold a yardstick close to your pants and take a measurement.

Step Two: Use the Kludgemeister templates you previously made, to layout the pattern on the fiberglass sheet your elderly father donated.

Step Two Again: Rotate 90 degrees and repeat.

Step Three: Use the provided laser extractor to free the Schwings from the mold.

Step Four: locate the Kludgemeister armored attachment resource. Using the laser extractor again, follow the dotted lines in your mind, releasing the finely crafted brackets.

Step Five: Trial fit the brackets to the Suzuki Leg Fairing Mounts.
1) Tank fairing upper side mount
2) Funky black t-thing on the side of the bike forward mount
3) Radiator hose (right side on U.S. bikes. All other models use the right side.)
4) Nose fairing mount
5) Screw directly to the nose fairing, cuz you ran out hacksaw blades.

Step Six: On certain years of the V-Strom (2003 to 2012) it may be necessary to trim any access flangular meganisiums from the Schwings.

Step Seven: after trail fit, remove the Schwings for sanding and application of the double-sided polymer-glucicides. I used satin black automotive trim paint, as it bonds well to flexible thingies. Also, I had a can already.

As you can see, from the side the Schwings blend right in to the lines of the bike. Kludgemeister engineers originally intended this to occur, however, during the manufacturing process, they found that by allowing the Suzuki attachment points to dictate the bends of the Schwings, it might actually work.

Step Eight: Ignore that look on your wifes face. She is just being practical.

:hurray:

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Mmmmmmmmmm...:thumbup:
I ride year round here and most days it's in the mid 30's and raining ( well in the winter anyways) so those would come in handy

Do you have the address for those so I can order some??.:biggrinjester:

·
Ex- moderator
1,129 Posts
Sie sind hässlich wie die Hölle, lass es mich wissen, wenn sie arbeiten...

Or - they are ugly as hell..let me know if they work- they look practical..kinda like the fairing lowers that bmw/gold wing/ hd touring bikes have as accessories

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
I like it. :thumbup: Nice. One of the areas where my scooter beats the Wee as a commuter is weather protection. This would appear to go a good way toward addressing that. Doesn't look bad, either.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Ahhhh...shadetree ingenuity! Your instructions made me laugh too. The next step is a website with PayPal.

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
My brothers favorite designer would be envious

Raoul of San Juan

I was with you until you painted it black, liked the clear or maybe tank matching. If it allows you to commute cheaper when gas hits $5 good job

If you got the flexible edging to trim they would fool most

They cleverly put you in the heated radiator air pocket and should provide needed lift.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Or get a pair of wind/rainproof overpants. Which can go on or come off in a jiffy as needed, especially here in up-and-down land.

But I admire your creativity.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
We sometimes get rain drops as big as nickels ( or hail ) here and even with my insulated 1 piece rain suit over my clothes it feels like a hammer against my knees!!.These might help that.!!

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
Sie sind hässlich wie die Hölle, lass es mich wissen, wenn sie arbeiten...

What's the opposite of putting lipstick on a pig?

I'm just sayin'..........................

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Or get a pair of wind/rainproof overpants. Which can go on or come off in a jiffy as needed, especially here in up-and-down land.

But I admire your creativity.
During the colder weather, I snap the water-wind proof liners into my ATGATT overpants. They do help some, but they have two drawbacks.
After a half-hour of 80 mph at 35 degrees, the cold just beats its way through. Then on the same day, in the Arizona winter afternoon of 78 degrees, I get home and I have sweat through my slacks. Ew. Too hot.

Honestly, I am surprised that I haven't moved up to a Goldwing or ST1000.
But I like the Strom so much, this is the longest I have ever owned the same bike.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
I decided that for me to be suitably comfortable on winter morning commutes, was to get a set of leg fairings for the Strom.
This would prevent the numb toes and frozen chicken tenders.
Nice job; closet KLRista? :thumbup:

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
This just happens to be how I screen passengers.

To get back on topic, there is sheet plastic available in a variety of colors in the black spectrum that might work well for this. I did some Googlage without much success, but cannot recall what it's called.

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
When I was commuting I loved my Burgman 650

Whole body in the bubble, room under the seat for helmet plus outer wear

If you stayed over 20 MPH you wouldn't get wet in the rain

·
Registered
15,922 Posts
There is sheet plastic available in a variety of colors in the black spectrum that might work well for this.

I googled "heat formable plastic sheets" and found a bunch stuff. Friends used something like this years ago on their bikes. Black Pebbley surface. Used a low cost heat gun to get the shapes they wanted.
A cottage industry born again?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
- they are ugly as hell..let me know if they work- they look practical..kinda like the fairing lowers that bmw/gold wing/ hd touring bikes have as accessories
First real test of the completed Schwings.

Temp this morning was 46 degrees with a light wind.

Long commute on the freeway - legs and feet stayed warm, hips getting a little more blast than before but not uncomfortable. Chicken Tenders cool but not freezing. Engine temp stayed at two bars (typical for winter morning).

Upon arrival at office, pulling off the gear, I found that I had begun to sweat under the water-proof liners of my overpants. I will try tomorrow without the liners to see if I stay warm enough at speed.

Could definitely feel the wind resistance against the Schwings. Though it seems to stabilize the bike even more. Wind-blast from trucks and RVs is felt to be pushing on the bike more and me less.

·
Ex- moderator
1,129 Posts
Interesting, thanks for the feedback. I can see lots of opportunities for development..for example- try angling them backwards slightly, making them smaller/larger...Who knows-maybe the idea will be picked up by givi to make "touring lowers" ..patent the idea fast.
I wear Tourmaster Flex pants & jacket and find that combination adequate, but I admire the thought you put into it..

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
I googled "heat formable plastic sheets" and found a bunch stuff. Friends used something like this years ago on their bikes. Black Pebbley surface. Used a low cost heat gun to get the shapes they wanted.
A cottage industry born again?
That's the stuff.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts