StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of buying an "Adventure" or "Dual Sport" helmet. I don't go off road, but I love the idea of the visor for early morning or late evening rides that take me directly into the sun.

I need to be able to change the visor pretty easily as I often leave in the morning and return at night.

Any insight would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Gary

·
Premium Member
3,145 Posts
I snowboard with a helmet that actually has a visor, and I agree, it's super handy to block those low-angle sun times of day. I like how newer helmets have the retractable sunshade, so it's a double whammy of sun protection. I don't really want to spend 400+ bux on an Arai, but this new AFX FX41 DS has really piqued my interest. It addresses a lot of little annoyances many of these helmet types have. And, AFX has really stepped it up in the ventilation dept. - almost like venting you see in a downhill racing mountain biking helmet.

It ain't for sale quite yet, but check it out - the store vid is pretty good too.... AFX FX-41 DS Helmet - RevZilla.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I am using an Arai and I like for a few reasons. The visor really is nice. I used it during the summer with a clear screen which is something I could not do without a visor. Ok and don't laugh, I like the fact that the chin bar is spaced out enough that if I have to sneeze I can put my hand in and not goo up the inside of my helmet :)

It does pull your neck a bit when turning when doing a car check but not to annoying for me. It can also catch more wind in general but I have not noticed it much.

·
Registered
719 Posts
My backup helmet is an HJC-IS modular. I really like the ability to flip it up, take a drink or speak with someone. It has an easy to use flip down sunshade....around 170.00
My regular Shoei multitec does not have the sunshade but changing visors is very easy...problem is I have three visors for this one...clear, light and dark smoke, a rather expensive requirement.
Biggest drawback of the dualsport helmets would be the way the wind will catch them at high speeds.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I am thinking of buying an "Adventure" or "Dual Sport" helmet. I don't go off road, but I love the idea of the visor for early morning or late evening rides that take me directly into the sun.
If the low-angle sun light is your concern instead of the aggressive look of dual-sport helmet, I would recommend helmets with internal sun visor. It's so convenient that you will definitely love them. There is no need to carry extra visor and don't need to stop to exchange them.

I would recommend SHOEI Neotec(flip-up), GT-Air(full face) or J-Cruise(3/4), depends on your preference for helmet style. They all use the same smooth mechanism to operate internal sun visor.

And SHOEI sun visor won't interfere with your glasses, if you have this concern.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have been using a first generation AFX for about 2 years now. Last week, I noticed that the top "air scoop" was missing. It is a relatively large plastic piece that appeared to have been snapped into holes in the top of the helmet.
This missing piece does not seem to affect ventilation, which was pretty poor to begin with.
Now, I have an excuse to buy another helmet. I am considering another AFX, the Bilt, MSR, Fly, and a couple of other sub-$200 lids. I seem to beat them up so badly that I cannot see spending $500-700 for an Arai, or a Shoei.

·
Premium Member
3,145 Posts
I tried on one of the Scorpion ADV helmets recently at a local moto store. I normally wear an XL, and Shoei helmets fit my semi oval head nice. This Scorpion is for a round head, and I could barely get their 2xl over my mellon - so round!!! Getting the right head shaped helmet is so much more important than the brand, or the price. Fit is king!

·
Registered
435 Posts
I tried on one and found it to a reasonable for the money.
That sounds like a pretty good summary of the reviews I read online about the helmet. Not bad for the $. :yesnod:

·
Registered
635 Posts
I've been using the Fly Trekker for about 9 months and I'm mostly pleased with it, especially for the price.

I bought it to try out the ADV style with the visor before spending more money on one. I also wanted to test my theory that some of the helmet noise roar from the windshield could be broken up by a visor, because with my regular full face helmets, having the visor up made for a quiet helmet, visor closed and it was a windstorm.

The ADV visor does in fact do the same thing, it breaks up that downward smack of air coming over the taller wind shied (MRA Vario 20.3" on a Madstad).

Now the helmet noise is about the same with the visor up or down (mostly quiet), which is nice in colder weather. I added a chin curtain for a Shoei Hornet (I think) that's fits pretty well and helps to block some unwanted cold air in the winter. This helmet is the same as the AFX 39, but the AFX has the quick release buckle instead of the traditional D rings on the Fly. I was also able to order the external flip down sun visor from the AFX and install it on the Fly. I hardly use it as I wear motorcycle sunglasses with the foam edges. There is a little bit of distortion in the visors, not much, but if your're picky about that and use the visors regularly, you might be disappointed. It does tend to fog up a bit when closed in cool, wet weather, especially with the chin curtain on.

The wind pull was not as bad as I feared, but riding during super windy days, you will feel some side to side head pull. A long day in high winds would probably be fatiguing, but I did a 400 mile ride in pleasant weather at highway speeds and didn't feel any discomfort.

Not bad for the price...

·
Registered
234 Posts
You helmet selection depends on your noggin's shape.

My skull won't fit an Arai or Nolan but Shoei fits nice.

I use the Shoei

Oh, and I use a pin lock to keep it from fogging up :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have two flip up helmets, a Nolan N102 and a HJC SYMAX II. The Nolan has an external flip down tinted section and the HJC has an internal one. Just this spring I bought an AFX FX-39 for riding off-road (it's DOT cert) and I found it to be the most comfortable of the three helmets - YMMV. The extra room in front of my mouth makes it feel less closed in and the small visor works great to block the sun. Much better IMO than the flip down visors. It may be even a tad bit quieter than the other two as well. The only thing missing is the flip up feature but with the extra room in front I don't really miss it. I got the Marpat color and I was thinking of getting another one in Hi-Viz for on road riding.

Here's a link to Revzilla (no plug intended) for this helmet

AFX FX-39 Dual Sport Helmet - RevZilla

Edit: One thing I forgot to mention is that by all accounts, the FX-39 runs large. I normally wear an XL but go t a large and was glad I did.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
What he said...Good info on the L vs XL. I hate a tight helmet.

I might buy the FX-39 strike in red and white. Amazon has it for $113.00.

·
Registered
52 Posts
My thoughts will sound a little harsh but nothing personal to anyone, I use an HJC flip-up and love it. It is the fourth of this type I have used after progressing from a fixed full-face lid. I love the flip-up feature for breaks and leaving the helmet on during quick store visits, breaks, and fuel ups. I can't help but watch and pity the time wasted by my riding friends with fixed lids as they pull their lids on and off many times per day while I am waiting and ready while being comfortable all the while.

The adventure helmets are a marketing gimmick in my opinion and are really an attempt to look cool or more aggressive or more adventurish. I just don't see the point and have tried the type. They CAN work of course but I don't need the ego boost at this point.

I love it when people try to justify it because it has the sun visor. Do you really think riding into the sun is a concept that just materialized in the last few years? I do think the retractable shades are a step in the right direction but there is another trick as well. Here is an example of the concept that I use but it can be solved well enough with some electical tape and scissors. You use the strip with a slight head tip to Block that sun while retaining a clear or any visor.

http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/sport/helmet+shields/fog+city_hyper+optiks+speed+tintutm_source=gps&utm_medium=csn&utm_term=Hyper+Optiks+Speed+Tint&utm_campaign=sport-helmet+shields&gclid=CO7P2srU87kCFe1_QgodFSIAbg

I like to use a clear sheild all the time and the retractable shades help with changing conditions but sometimes you really need a real pair of sunglasses. Other times you made need the glasses and shade plus the strip at the top if riding at just the wrong angle for a long time which I seem to do too much.

You can only stand to look through that many layers of plastic for so long so I am still battling that one. Carrying extra visors never sounded very appealing to me but it would afford a slightly fuller view than glasses perhaps.

And I did ride and race offroad in the past so I do get the point of an off road helmet but cannot see a reason to wear one for street riding unless.... I lived it a very hot climate and rode in dusty conditions. The airflow of a dirt lid with goggles is superior to the visor up on a street lid and affords more protection to the eyes.

Come on folks, don't waste your money on a "look"; you are V-strom practical.

Greg

·
Registered
437 Posts
My thoughts will sound a little harsh but nothing personal to anyone, I use an HJC flip-up and love it. It is the fourth of this type I have used after progressing from a fixed full-face lid. I love the flip-up feature for breaks and leaving the helmet on during quick store visits, breaks, and fuel ups. I can't help but watch and pity the time wasted by my riding friends with fixed lids as they pull their lids on and off many times per day while I am waiting and ready while being comfortable all the while.

The adventure helmets are a marketing gimmick in my opinion and are really an attempt to look cool or more aggressive or more adventurish. I just don't see the point and have tried the type. They CAN work of course but I don't need the ego boost at this point.

I love it when people try to justify it because it has the sun visor. Do you really think riding into the sun is a concept that just materialized in the last few years? I do think the retractable shades are a step in the right direction but there is another trick as well. Here is an example of the concept that I use but it can be solved well enough with some electical tape and scissors. You use the strip with a slight head tip to Block that sun while retaining a clear or any visor.

http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/sport/helmet+shields/fog+city_hyper+optiks+speed+tintutm_source=gps&utm_medium=csn&utm_term=Hyper+Optiks+Speed+Tint&utm_campaign=sport-helmet+shields&gclid=CO7P2srU87kCFe1_QgodFSIAbg

I like to use a clear sheild all the time and the retractable shades help with changing conditions but sometimes you really need a real pair of sunglasses. Other times you made need the glasses and shade plus the strip at the top if riding at just the wrong angle for a long time which I seem to do too much.

You can only stand to look through that many layers of plastic for so long so I am still battling that one. Carrying extra visors never sounded very appealing to me but it would afford a slightly fuller view than glasses perhaps.

And I did ride and race offroad in the past so I do get the point of an off road helmet but cannot see a reason to wear one for street riding unless.... I lived it a very hot climate and rode in dusty conditions. The airflow of a dirt lid with goggles is superior to the visor up on a street lid and affords more protection to the eyes.

Come on folks, don't waste your money on a "look"; you are V-strom practical.

Greg
Really? I find it hard to believe that anyone that has ever used a helmet with a visor on the street, didn't think it was a nice feature. I'm not sold on the "Adventure" helmet, but I do miss my visor from my dirt bike helmet that I used with my KLR. Sunglasses only go so far.

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
While I don't were an Adventure style helmet I do use a Sunax sun visor in my helmet.
I currently were a Shoei and find they help very well with the sun glare.
They will not fit all helmets so best check.
Very easy to install and can stay in the helmet.

SUNAX BX | sunax

·
Registered
52 Posts
That Sunax looks good and is really close to the Fog City unit in concept. Really saves my eyes, doesn't catch any wind, and the concept works on the helmet you already have.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Has anyone ever seen an adventure style flip-up helmet. I might be able to sell a friend on that.

Greg

1 - 20 of 42 Posts