StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of heading north or northwest. I want to take the gf on a nice scenic Sunday ride. Gravel roads are fine, but nothing more than that.

Thanks.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Near Raleigh-

Are you leaving from Raleigh, or Morrisville?

From Morrisville, you can head out around Jordan lake for some shorter routes. Heading south can pay dividends once you cross I-64. Head down toward Fuquay, Holly Springs, Angier, and Clayton for some good farmland scenery. I don't really know what is north, but I hear there are some nice roads up around Butner.

If you wanted to go as far as Asheboro, there are some great roads down there, and even an old covered bridge (google Pisgah Covered Bridge).

Sorry I can't be more specific. Hopefully some of the other local guys will chime in. Adv-Family does some Geocaching, so perhaps he would know some nice secrets for you. Good luck and ride safe!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Farm country is nice, but can tend to offend the olfactory glands. I've never seen an old covered bridge before, though, so that would make for a nice "new family" picture.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Senic Ride

High House Rd to Green Level Rd
Turn L onto Lewter Shop Rd
N on 751
L onto Marthas Chapel Rd
R onto Farrington Rd
L onto Lystra Rd
L onto 15/501
R onto Andrews Store Rd
L onto Manns Chapel Rd
R onto Oak Hill Rd
R onto Hamlet Chapel Rd
L onto River Rd
R onto Chicken Bridge Rd
L onto Crawford Dairy Rd
L onto Old Greensboro Rd * Name changes to E Greensboro Chapel Hill Rd
Stay Straight at intersection of Hwy 87
You will be headed toward Snow Camp
L onto Pleasant Hill Church Rd
R onto Silk Hope Liberty Rd
When you get into Liberty turn Left across RR tracks onto Old Liberty Rd:)
Cross over US 421
Remain on Old Liberty Rd
You will go through Grays Chapel
Stay straight on Old Liberty and it will end in Asheboro
If you turn South you will intersect US 64
You may return to the Cary/Morrisville area via US 64

·
Registered
578 Posts
Local?

Nice, Garrett! I'll have to try that route since it goes right past my front door. I've ridden about half of those roads before. I see your profile says FL. Did you live in the Triangle before?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Senic Ride

Yes, I lived in Cary for 15 years. I tended to ride up around Mt Airy and into VA.

I lived in Blacksburg, VA and stop there as often as possible.

My daughter is in Cary, so I visit and launch from her home on several rides into VA, WV,& PA each year.

I have all serious work done at Mark IV Honda in Wytheville, VA. The owner and top mechanic both ride V Stroms.

·
Registered
110 Posts
My Back Yard

I live about 5 miles from Old Liberty rd. its a frequent route for me. Also the covered bridge is a favorite spot of mine too. That is also part of my old stomping grounds. lots of good rural roads around there with very little traffic especially on weekdays. The Uwharrie National Forest
is not far from there but that may be a little rough for you. ATVs and jeeps have rutted it up pretty good but the paved roads leading you there are OK.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We rode through Fuquay then took 401 to 421 to 64 and back home. It was a short ride because the weather is very overcast today, although no rain was expected. I'll have to try the others suggested here next time. Thanks again!

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'm gonna be playing with different maps on my new Power Commander so if anyone wants to take an afternoon or weekend ride this week or next let me know.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I'm gonna be playing with different maps on my new Power Commander so if anyone wants to take an afternoon or weekend ride this week or next let me know.
What are your time constraints on the "afternoon" rides on a weekday. Tuesdays are my riding day other than commuting. My weekends are no good. Give me a shout.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Tues and Thurs after 5:30 are best for me during most weeks. This weekend is open for me too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts