StromTrooper banner

Which bluetooth communication system would you buy?

• Scala Rider G9

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • Interphone F5

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Sena SMH10

Votes: 22 62.9%
  • None of the above.

Votes: 4 11.4%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Until now I've used a cable to connect my GPS (Zumo 660) to the built-in speakers in my helmet.

To get rid of the cable I'm considering to get one of the bluetooth intercoms mentioned in the title.

I will primarily use the device to get audio (directions and music) from GPS to helmet - and I might connect my phone to the system.
I don't plan to use it for bike to bike communication.

Do any of you who have real life experience with one or more of the mentioned units - if so I would love to get some feedback and recommendations to help me to deside which one to get.

Bluetooth Communicator Guide 2012 at RevZilla.com - YouTube

·
Registered
13 Posts
I bought the Scala G9 last August. I was looking for the same features you are. For the most part, it works pretty well. It has it's quirks. But i'm learning how to deal with them. The bike to bike communication works really well. I have a Zumo 550, and the bluetooth only works in mono. I wound up getting an I-pod. It works much better for music.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I've been using a Sena SMH10 for a couple of years now. I don't pair it with my GPS very often nor push music though my GPS. What I can tell you is that the unit does everything it is supposed to well, is easily updated through software, has a simple to use interface, and has a customer service oriented company standing behind their product.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I and many of my riding buds have Sena's, and I think it's simply the best unit out there for the $$$......super easy to use with the jog dial, true ALL DAY battery life with intercom, good speakers, flexibility to use your own earbuds/speakers (at a cost), and well priced.

That all said, it can be quirky if you are trying to connect a phone and a Zumo, and want music and GPS directions, and phone.......I've actually given up on it. I've had it working before, and I'm somewhat tech savvy, but it never seems to all work together for long. It's all about what pairs to what, in what order, and how.....just gave up after realizing (accepting) how unimportant it really was.

The "idea" of voice instructions from my GPS was really a much more important concept than it was a useful feature. Unless you are riding your bike in a busy unknown city, I now understand what little value that feature is....for me.

What I do love.....intercom and phone connectivity (phone + music through cell), both features I have used a lot, and both work almost flawlessly on the Sena.

Last summer was my first season with the Senas and I probably used them for over 120 hours total. Many 8-10 ride days, with intercom on the entire time, total game changer when riding with buds, absolutely love the system.

FYI - I ride with foam earplugs and the stock helmet speakers, and can hear both intercom and music just fine at any speeds.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I agree with FireFox and CHIA.

I have my SENA connected to my GPS (TomTom Rider) via bluetooth but no necesarily for directions, but mainly because my phone is connected to the GPS and when someone calls, I see the caller ID on the GPS screen.

I use my ipod touch hooked up via bluetooth to my SENA and it works great. Perfect sound and I find that I actually have to turn down the volume using only the supplied helment speakers.

Rode out to big bend with 3 other buddies last year and we all had SENA's. Made the trip much more enjoyable. You'd be amazed of the st2ped conversations and the many laughs you can have with your friends while riding hundreds of miles in a day. I do however, switch to my music when I hit the twisties in order to get my groove on :thumbup:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Haven't got any Bluetooth system yet but am looking to buy one. From what I have seen I am down to either the Scala Rider G9 or SENA SMH10. Both seem to have features I like but neither seems to do it all.

I do have a few questions that maybe some of you can answer!!!

1) I see the SMH10 comes with a cigarette type charger and can be charged while using. Can you get one for the G9 and if so can it be used while charging.

2) The G9 comes with both a boom an wired (button) type mic. Is there such an option with the SMH10? Also what do you prefer as your mic choice, boom or wired (button) type?

3) If I have a SMH10 and a friend (other bike or passenger) has a G9 or other Scala Rider set can we still communicate or does the intercom functions only work with sets from the same range?

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can answer 2 of the 3 questions.

Haven't got any Bluetooth system yet but am looking to buy one. From what I have seen I am down to either the Scala Rider G9 or SENA SMH10. Both seem to have features I like but neither seems to do it all.

I do have a few questions that maybe some of you can answer!!!

1) I see the SMH10 comes with a cigarette type charger and can be charged while using. Can you get one for the G9 and if so can it be used while charging.

I don't know..?

2) The G9 comes with both a boom an wired (button) type mic. Is there such an option with the SMH10? Also what do you prefer as your mic choice, boom or wired (button) type?

Yes, it's also an option with the Sena.
Boom gives the best sound but takes up more space in the helmet - I would go for the button speaker.

3) If I have a SMH10 and a friend (other bike or passenger) has a G9 or other Scala Rider set can we still communicate or does the intercom functions only work with sets from the same range?

No, only intercom from the same manufacturer can communicate.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My brother and I bought sena smh10 last year and we love them. I did end up buying they different helmet mount to plug my skull candy in to. The helmet speakers worked well but I had to have them so loud once I was up to speed that I was afraid I would wreck my hearing. I did have trouble though switching between my phone and I pod though.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I just started reading about the Sena SMH10. Wouldn't it be nice to have everything you need (GPS, Music, Cell, two/four way bluetooth) in one package. Sounds like this devise does most pretty well. My question is does anyone use their smart phone to do 3 of the 4 above already?

·
Registered
812 Posts
There's a huge thread on the smh10 on adv rider. Lot's of tips and even some mods in that thread...

·
Registered
131 Posts
For what you plan on using it for, I would recommend the Sena SMH5. That's what i have, and I use it primarily for streaming tunes into my helmet. Even with earplugs in (foamies) the speakers are plenty loud enough.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My buddy, my wife and I have the sena and it works great. Gotta convince our other riding friends to get one! I ordered extra bits to put in our other helmets for ATVing and dirt biking

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
If you're not interested in bike to bike comm, you may want to stick with the cable. It is much more reliable.

And, if you're wanting the music from your gps to come through in stereo and you want a phone connection, be sure to verify you can do that. I'm still a bit confused about it all, but not too worried since I'm not planning to pair a phone with a headset. Or if I do, it will have the music and the gps will be only for directions.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I just started reading about the Sena SMH10. Wouldn't it be nice to have everything you need (GPS, Music, Cell, two/four way bluetooth) in one package. Sounds like this devise does most pretty well. My question is does anyone use their smart phone to do 3 of the 4 above already?
I do.
I was a little bummed when I couldnt pair my GPS and phone at the same time (they both use the same type of bluetooth). My GPS is cheap so it wasn't an option to pair it to the SENA then my phone through GPS(Bridging). Now with the new OS on the iPhone there are turn by turn directions! Problem solved I was already streaming music and using the phone now I have it all. (As long as you have cell service):thumbup:

·
Registered
227 Posts
I ordered up a dual pack of the Senas. From what i've read they'll do everything that I want/need them to do...

·
Registered
598 Posts
I use the SMH10 paired only with my iphone 4S for Cell, GPS, and rarely for music. I have not tried the SMH10 intercomm feature. Though the pairing to my iphone basically works, I find the speakers to lack bass to such a degree that listening to music is not pleasant for me at all. The speakers are very close to my ears, and I wear earplugs, all of which should increase bass sensitivity, and I generally don't even favor an accented bass, so I am a little baffled at my observation. I think I am in the minority here, but that is what I hear, or don't hear.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I use the SMH10 paired only with my iphone 4S for Cell, GPS, and rarely for music. I have not tried the SMH10 intercomm feature. Though the pairing to my iphone basically works, I find the speakers to lack bass to such a degree that listening to music is not pleasant for me at all. The speakers are very close to my ears, and I wear earplugs, all of which should increase bass sensitivity, and I generally don't even favor an accented bass, so I am a little baffled at my observation. I think I am in the minority here, but that is what I hear, or don't hear.
Type of helmet, bike, speaker placement, file type, streaming device and hearing all play major roles, it's one of those slightly subjective things, lots of variables.

I personally find they work great, and offer plenty of volume for both intercom and music.....I use a Blackberry 9780 and have a Scorpion EXO1000.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts