StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had the Scala Q2 system for about 2 years. Until recently, it worked very well, however, now the battery appears to be dying. A charge only lasts about 1 hour. It's not on warranty anymore so I can't send it back. I phoned Cardo and a guy on the phone told me that they were not set up to replace batteries and they would not sell me new batteries, because they're soldered in and the customer cannot open the unit. I'm pretty good with electronics, so I opened it anyway. It contains a 3.7volt lithium polymer battery with wires that are soldered in. The dimensions are 4.5mm x 21mm x 48mm. I have searched the internet, but have been unable to find a suitable replacement battery so far. Has anyone here solved this problem?

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
radio batteries

Contact Raytek Communications
16 Wilby Cres, Oakvile ON M9N 1E5 (416) 232-2322 ‎

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
There are a number of specialty battery shops that will actually make you a battery. I know in Wpg there are a couple, so check your yellow pages, etc.

Cheers

ps: I also use the Q2 set-up, pretty happy with it.:beatnik:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I found a cell that fits and works, but it is a little shorter.
This is a lithium polymer battery, a single cell has a voltage of 3.7 volts (nominal). It has a rectangular cross section. Anyway, here is a link to a replacement that fits and works. Great Planes - GPMP0412 Li-Po 3.7v . be careful, apparently they can catch fire if they are abused. I slipped in an extra layer of (thin) plastic material between it and the circuit board to protect it from being punctured by the surface mount components on the circuit board. It may not be necessary, but I worry about these things. I don't know what the capacity of the original battery was, but I suspect that it was not much more than this one. The old one is longer, but a bit thinner than this replacement. The new one is 6.5 x 21 x 35 mm.:hurray:

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Good to know Dark, thanks. :thumbup:

cheers

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Yeh, thanks Dark Sky... I too have the same Scala Q2s (and they're two years old as well)... Good to know the battery can be replaced instead of having to buy an expensive new system....

Richard

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just received this reply from Cardo. This is new, they did not originally have a battery replacement program.
Thank you for contacting Cardo Systems Support Center regarding our products.

Cardo Systems will issued a Battery Replacement program for customers in US and Canada with a Scala Rider Q2, Q2 PRO or G4 heasets only. The replacement program will cost $49.95USD per module. Customer pays shipping to us. Cost of return shipping (shipped USPS First Class International for Canada customers UPS ground for US customers) is included in cost of service. Battery is warranted for a period of 2 years after being replaced.

We will need to get your name, shipping address, phone number and email and the quantity of items you wish to send in for evaluation. Once we have this information a Sales Representative call you for payment.

Please feel free to contact us if we can assist you with any other questions.

Best Regards,

Robert Wargo
Customer Service
1-800-488-0363
Fax: 412-788-0270
Motorcycle Bluetooth Helmet Intercom Communication Systems ? Cardo Systems, Inc

·
Registered
2 Posts
how to open ....

Hello Dark Sky

Can you say a few words how to open the Cardo Q2 ?
Is it done with the 3 screws ?

Many thanks
TG_Cardo

·
Registered
317 Posts
I'm glad this thread got bumped.

My wife and I are coming up on 3 years with our Q2's this April. I haven't noticed any battery issues yet, but I'm sure at 3 years in, it wouldn't start to surprise me. We definitely got our money's worth out of them.

I figured when one of ours went, we'd upgrade to maybe the Sena SMH-10's (I want the AVCRP music control from the jog dial), but I'd like to keep the Scala's as backups on our dirt helmets or other helmets.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I used Rolfre's instructions:thumbup:

HOWTO: Replace battery on a Cardo Scala Rider Q2

Bought two batteries off of Amazon (paid more for shipping than the batts). Works better than new, last longer on each charge.

I have an older model, I think. The screws were not a tiny phillips but a very tiny torx bit. A trip to Harbor Freight and $7 set me up :thumbup:

One early symptom I noticed was that it took a louder shout to get the VOX to activate. My headset died first. I would be yelling, hooting, and whistling into my headset...my daughter would notice and ask me what I was doing...Oh, just trying to ask if you needed to stop at the rest area we just passed! :furious: Now, its back to just start talking and it kicks on:thumbup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts