StromTrooper banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
'14 DL1000A ~_/) ~ '14 GSX1300R
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Both remote and legendary, Sawyers Bar Rd is labeled as such on maps but nowhere on the route itself.
Northern California, about 40 mi due W of Mt Shasta.
Pick this route up directly from the town of Etna, CA, where it's labeled as Main St, or connect to it further S via Cecilville Rd out of Callahan, CA. Following this route out of Callahan (and thru to Etna) is the preferred direction of travel per the locals as it puts the steepest drop-offs on the most narrow portions of the road on the rider's left side - in case oncoming traffic isn't paying attention, it's the safer bail out.

Here's the 3-min version:

A 30min version of this run is in the works (waiting on YouTube Processing HD) for those interested.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
That is one of my favorite routes. Cecilville to Callahan is terrific.
Also Happy Camp, Bald Hills Rd, Crescent City and home.
How was the air quality/smoke?

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is one of my favorite routes. Cecilville to Callahan is terrific.
Also Happy Camp, Bald Hills Rd, Crescent City and home.
How was the air quality/smoke?
No worries at all. It looked bad as I approached, but the winds were pushing the smoke N and I headed W just out of Tahoe so it never became a prob. Much of my route getting to Callahan (along the 395) is under threat now, however. I got lucky

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
Rode this in the first week of June. West(Somes [email protected] Hwy96) to Etna. Absolutely spectacular and a bit terrifying at times. Almost 2 hrs. to go the 60 miles and only saw 4 vehicles the whole way.

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
Di
There is no Somes Bar Rd. Salmon River Rd becomes Forks of the Salmon Rd out of Somes Bar.
Didn't say that it was. Just referred to Somes Bar as the western end starting point off Hwy 96 to go to Sawyers Bar.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
Whatever it's called, it is a beautiful day, especially when the salmon are running, the river is so full of them, it's almost like you could walk across the river on their backs.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
N end of Trinity Lake

Callahan

Where you stock up before riding...

Cecilville - There's a 24/7 fueling station here

Cecilville Road after Forks of Salmon heading to Cecilville
The most challenging part of the route IMHO

1 - 11 of 11 Posts