StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 DL1k. 29,xxx on the clock. when i got it, it had a power commander installed. i had it dyno tuned to get rid of the lean issues that they have. did all scheduled maintenance and had it put back on the dyno because it was running funny and my mileage went into the toilet.

first it dynoed at 92ish bhp and 62ish ft/lbs.

this time around it dynoed at 75ish bhp and same torque.

valves adjusted 4k ago. new spark plugs and air filter.

i've done every test i can think of to work out the problem. only thing left is a leak down and compression test....

i need some ideas here or i'm gonna take it to the dealership to see if they can max out my credit card.

any ideas? please?

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have a 2005 DL1k. 29,xxx on the clock. when i got it, it had a power commander installed. i had it dyno tuned to get rid of the lean issues that they have. did all scheduled maintenance and had it put back on the dyno because it was running funny and my mileage went into the toilet.

first it dynoed at 92ish bhp and 62ish ft/lbs.

this time around it dynoed at 75ish bhp and same torque.

valves adjusted 4k ago. new spark plugs and air filter.

i've done every test i can think of to work out the problem. only thing left is a leak down and compression test....

i need some ideas here or i'm gonna take it to the dealership to see if they can max out my credit card.

any ideas? please?

less torque would have pointed a compression problem (worn piston/ring, leaking valve, etc)

but the fact that you have less hp means that your engine get out of breath quickly. clogged air filter, floating valves, bad camshaft timing, is more likely to be the problem

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
but the fact that you have less hp means that your engine get out of breath quickly. clogged air filter, floating valves, bad camshaft timing, is more likely to be the problem

that's what I was afraid of.

Does a floating valve mean the head has to come off to fix?

·
Administrator
17,213 Posts
How does it run to you, and don't trust dynos!!!!!:fineprint: Load in a map from somebody here and see how that goes, I have serious serious doubts that there is anything wrong with your engine, those bikes are tough as nails. You can also unplug your PCIII and try riding like that for a bit, see if your mileage goes back up.

KEEP THIS ALL SIMPLE AND STUPID.......

·
Premium Member
2,942 Posts
I would check the valve adjustment, and if that's ok then do a compression test.

·
Administrator
17,213 Posts
I would check the valve adjustment, and if that's ok then do a compression test.
Who did the maintenance? And I would still disconnect the PCIII first before getting into the engine. If you are not seeing signs of burning oil "smoke" or sluggish starting, then I can't see how the valves or pistons for that matter could be the issue. Pull a plug and see how it looks, if you haven't done that already. Bike was just running lean before all the maintenance was done, so there has been a mistake made somewhere IMHO.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How does it run to you, and don't trust dynos!!!!!:fineprint: Load in a map from somebody here and see how that goes, I have serious serious doubts that there is anything wrong with your engine, those bikes are tough as nails. You can also unplug your PCIII and try riding like that for a bit, see if your mileage goes back up.

KEEP THIS ALL SIMPLE AND STUPID.......
it runs like crap to me, hence the worry. When I did my valves at a local tech day, my MPG dropped right after it by almost 3mpg, but it has gotten progressively worse. The bike used to scoot right up to 100mph, now it's a struggle to get close. (on a closed course of course)

i think this is the route i'm gonna go. i have a feeling one of the cams got off by a tooth or two when i put it all back together. I will be taking it to a mechanic to do this. i'm a bit shy now.

Who did the maintenance? And I would still disconnect the PCIII first before getting into the engine. If you are not seeing signs of burning oil "smoke" or sluggish starting, then I can't see how the valves or pistons for that matter could be the issue. Pull a plug and see how it looks, if you haven't done that already. Bike was just running lean before all the maintenance was done, so there has been a mistake made somewhere IMHO.
starting has been weird for about the past month. I have parked the bike for now while i decide what to do, but it's going to a local mechanic that comes highly reccomended.

air filter and plugs were changed less than 100 miles ago. I'm hoping the timing is off and that i'm not floating a valve.

the bike runs great up until about 5500rpm, then the power goes flat. electrical issues maybe?

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
Logic does say to look the last place you were in

One time I fixed a bike where the shim had popped out before the bucket was seated. It is TOO Easy to get the cam timing off

·
Administrator
13,667 Posts
When the fuel filter plugged in my 2006 DL650 it first showed itself as a flat spot around the torque peak. The flat spot gradually manifested itself over a wider range. When I did the bypass operation full power returned. If that's the issue it is a relatively inexpensive fix.

Having said that I would first look to make sure that everything was put together properly. Boots from throttle bodies, air filter gaskets incorrect, etc. Are all things that can reduce power.

..Tom

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When the fuel filtr plugged in my 2006 DL650 it first showed itself as a flat spot around the torque peak. The flat spot gradually manifested itself over a wider range. When I did the bypass operation full power returned. Ifthat's the issue it is a relatively inexpensive fix.

Having said that I would first look to make sure that g was put together properly. Boots from throttle bodies, air filter gaskets incorrect, etc. Are all things that can reduce power.

..Tom
What bypass?

And everything is tight in there.

·
Administrator
13,667 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts