StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Cheaper than a Sat phone, PLB, or having to pay for a rescue...

Just picked up one of these...

http://www.findmespot.com/

I found mine at $149 shipped but I am trying to see if I can get the Regional Sales Manager there to beat that price if there's enogh interest.

Cheap to buy, but the service is kinda spendy, unless you compare it to getting help out in the boonies. I spend a lot of time riding and exploring some very remote places, this looked like cheap insurance to me.

My wreck last June was out of cell service and if a truck passing by hadn't had a radio to communicate with we could have been there for hours without help...like the BMW wreck I attended to in August near Detroit Oregon. 2.5 hour wait for an ambulence...one fatality, one seriously injured.

I have a message in to their sales asking about a group buy if there's enough interest here and the ADV board. Check out their site and PM me if you're interested in buying one. No firm commitment until the price is known.

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
If it's emergency support you want, what about EPIRB?

My crash was a little different: it happened about 50 feet from a state trooper.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This is awesome. Emergency support, plus tracking abilities for family. Around $17/month seems quite reasonable.

I'd buy one, and a friend of mine says he's down too.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Since this is satellite based, I wonder how it would work under tree cover? I know my satellite radio at times has difficultly without a direct line of sight to the satellite. I've used Personal Locator Beacons before, and they work most everywhere. Granted, PLB's are more expensive, but a rental runs about $50/week. The one I rented had GPS capability. This Sat unit has some nice features, though.

Let us know what you find out!

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
PLB's are....

Since this is satellite based, I wonder how it would work under tree cover? I know my satellite radio at times has difficultly without a direct line of sight to the satellite. I've used Personal Locator Beacons before, and they work most everywhere. Granted, PLB's are more expensive, but a rental runs about $50/week. The one I rented had GPS capability. This Sat unit has some nice features, though.

Let us know what you find out!
Satellite dependent as well, both units use the same GPS satellites. I think if you ride like I do...out in the boonies (Eastern Oregon) practically every weekend during the riding season, its a less expensive way to CYA than a PLB or Sat phone. I like the tracking features and the coverage for rescue expenses (which a PLB or a Sat phone doesn't have)...one helicopter ride can ruin your whole day (financially-typically $10,000 to $100,000) if you don't have coverage elsewhere.

But maybe not for everyone...I guess it just depends on how far out of the way you get and how often you get there for it to be cost effective.

·
Registered
21 Posts
This thing looks cool! I do field work in some very remote places (and in some very remote countries) and it looks like nearly all of them are covered by the service. I'm DEFINATELY sticking this on my wish list.

I wonder about using this as emergency kidnapping insurance for trips to riskier parts of South America and the Middle East. Of course most scenarios would look like this.....

(1) would-be kidnappers discover you frantically pushing the 9-1-1 button on a mysterious orange box and shoot you on site.
(2) kidnappers take you into the wilderness and help arrives 2 days later only to discover a bright orange box crushed by the side of the trail.
(3) government officials organize a rescue mission based on the distress call coming from a known area at risk for kidnapping. As they enter the kidnappers' encampment with guns blazing you're killed by the kidnappers.
(4) same scenario as (3) except that you're accidentally killed by the would-be rescuers.

Still...seems like a good investment to me.

Cheers, D-Mac

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
This thing looks cool! I do field work in some very remote places (and in some very remote countries) and it looks like nearly all of them are covered by the service. I'm DEFINATELY sticking this on my wish list.

I wonder about using this as emergency kidnapping insurance for trips to riskier parts of South America and the Middle East. Of course most scenarios would look like this.....

(1) would-be kidnappers discover you frantically pushing the 9-1-1 button on a mysterious orange box and shoot you on site.
(2) kidnappers take you into the wilderness and help arrives 2 days later only to discover a bright orange box crushed by the side of the trail.
(3) government officials organize a rescue mission based on the distress call coming from a known area at risk for kidnapping. As they enter the kidnappers' encampment with guns blazing you're killed by the kidnappers.
(4) same scenario as (3) except that you're accidentally killed by the would-be rescuers.

Still...seems like a good investment to me.

Cheers, D-Mac
Sounds like you've read Two Wheels Through Terror:lol:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Something like this would ROCK for diving! Many divers use EPRBs but something like this comes with insurance. I Wonder if the coast guard charges you for rescuing.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Anyone know about the SAR 'insurance' piece of SPOT and its availability in Canada (to Canadians)? The GEOS Alliance Web site implies that it's only available to US residents even though the coverage extends worldwide. $7.95 is pretty cheap insurance for what could be a very expensive rescue (at least in my case since I roam pretty far and wide on other than a bike).

·
Registered
538 Posts
Anyone know about the SAR 'insurance' piece of SPOT and its availability in Canada (to Canadians)? The GEOS Alliance Web site implies that it's only available to US residents even though the coverage extends worldwide. $7.95 is pretty cheap insurance for what could be a very expensive rescue (at least in my case since I roam pretty far and wide on other than a bike).
Asked and answered :) Despite what the GEOS Web site might say, it is now available to residents of Canada.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts