StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed a Sirius radio on my Wee. It actually works pretty decent. I have the Cardo Q2 set up, so it was simple to recieve the FM signal thru the included wireless FM on the Cardo.

The Sirius comes with a quasy-RAM type mount, although I am going to replace it with the real McCoy.

For power (5 VDC), I ran the plug under the tank so I can plug it into the cig lighter type plug I have under my seat. The antenna is affixed on top of my front brake master cylinder. The antenna is magnetic, so I glued a small washer to the cylinder cover.

A winter project will be to find and install better helmet speakers than what come with the Q2.

Cheers!

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
I too have a Sirius radio mounted on my Wee, paired with a Cardo Systems G4 headset. Are you able to get a strong enough FM signal from your Stratus 6 to reach your Q2 without static? I couldn't get a strong enough FM signal out of my radio's internal transmitter, so I bought an external transmitter by iSimple that works much better. I also now use the direct wired method of the audio out from the Sirius to the mp3 input of the G4, which sounds much better than the FM method. I used to have the Q2 and the mp3 input was not nearly as good as on the G4. It now has volume control from the headset.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I too have a Sirius radio mounted on my Wee, paired with a Cardo Systems G4 headset. Are you able to get a strong enough FM signal from your Stratus 6 to reach your Q2 without static? I couldn't get a strong enough FM signal out of my radio's internal transmitter, so I bought an external transmitter by iSimple that works much better. I also now use the direct wired method of the audio out from the Sirius to the mp3 input of the G4, which sounds much better than the FM method. I used to have the Q2 and the mp3 input was not nearly as good as on the G4. It now has volume control from the headset.
Actually, its a Stratus 5, but I have no problem recieving the signal from even 5 or 6ft away from the bike. I tried the direct wire right to the Q2 didnt really notice any diff, so stay with the wireless. I can control volume on the Q2 pod, but dont recieve stereo. If I have my IPod wired, I do get stereo.

Cheers!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Just installed a Sirius radio on my Wee. It actually works pretty decent. I have the Cardo Q2 set up, so it was simple to recieve the FM signal thru the included wireless FM on the Cardo.

The Sirius comes with a quasy-RAM type mount, although I am going to replace it with the real McCoy.

For power (5 VDC), I ran the plug under the tank so I can plug it into the cig lighter type plug I have under my seat. The antenna is affixed on top of my front brake master cylinder. The antenna is magnetic, so I glued a small washer to the cylinder cover.

A winter project will be to find and install better helmet speakers than what come with the Q2.

Cheers!
The only way to top that setup will be for me to install a nice DVD system! :=)

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm assuming Canadian Sirius radios have a stronger FM transmitter than the ones sold in the U.S.. The FCC forced Sirius in 2006 to weaken their FM transmitters to a very weak level that barely travels 1 foot without major static.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What do you need tunes on your bike for? Its not like you spend any time riding it. :biggrinjester:
My hope is to someday find time to ride more often. :beatnik:

Cheers!

·
Registered
120 Posts
I use a J&M Audio Integratr IV:

Integratr Portable Audio - J&M Motorcycle Audio

It has inputs for everything from radar detectors to MP3 players, GPS, even cell phone. It has FM built in, although I prefer to hook up my Sirius to the MP3 input. I never used the cell phone function. It was worked flawlessly for me. The prices have really dropped.

Downside: The unit is a bit large and bulky. It can be used with battery power or hardwired/cig. lighter power. I never tried batteries in mine.

The problem I have with running my Sirius through FM is: 1. As you travel, you will have to keep switching channels as you find radio station interference; and 2. If you use the common default channel (88.1) EVERYONE else uses it, and you will get a LOT of interference on it.

BTW, I found the J&M helmet speakers to work pretty well. I can actually use ear plugs to quiet wind noise, and still hear the music clearly without having to turn it up to an unsafe level.

Jim

·
Registered
654 Posts
stiletto 2 Sirius radio on mine. Permentlay put a docking station and antena on the bike which is seen on left on the below picture. Only time I had issues was when doing blue ridge parkway and was on one side of a steap elevation and of course the satalite was on the other side. Also had fun finding a decent spot for the antenna as where I want it is not where it works best. But in the end i love this unit and my setup on the bike for it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
GT Hawk That looks like a sweet setup. Pardon my ignorance as I just bought my bike Dec 24, but I have to ask what the digital readout of 14.1 is on your right handlebar? It also looks like you have two switches underneath this readout on your "dash". What are those? Again, sorry for the noob question, but I am trying to plan the farkles.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts