StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done a search of the threads on this site, but I still have a few questions on Sirius XM models and integration. I am looking for a good way to add satellite radio to my Wee. I already have several Sirius subscriptions and would prefer to stick with the Sirius side o9f the company if possible. I am planning on integrating all the audio with a Chatterbox XBi2 or similar headser. So far I have come up with a few options.

At the high end there is always the Garmin solution. I could go with the Zumo 550. Pro: GPS with Bluetooth, phone integration. Con: ridiculously expensive (especially with "option" XM reciever - $800 plus), no stereo Bluetooth (who's brilian idea was it to make a motorcycle friendly receiver without stereo Bluetooth?).

At the lower eld there is the Sirius Stiletto and the XM XMp3. They have integrated volume and can accept exterior antennas and have a headphone jack integrated for off the bike listening. relatively expensive but still only the cost of Garmin's add-on antenna.

Then there are the various car mount receivers that could be dropped into an aqua-box or4 mounted directly if I am not worried about the weather. as far as I c an tell they all need an external amp and audio switching device if I want to be able to use bike to bike communication, spoken directions from GPS, cell phone or any other audio source. They are cheap but all the extra gear gear takes up space and means I have to run a lot of wires.

So what setup are you guys running? What receivers and how do you have everything hooked up?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Installing Sirius is a breeze. I have some pics of my setup somewhere around this site, in a GPS thread I think. I don't have it on Bluetooth however. I purchased a "Boosteroo" and use form-fitting ear buds instead. Bluetooth is a great technology, but riding for me is a way to avoid cell phones and gain some solitude so go figure lol. To each their own :mrgreen:

If you already have the Sirius unit, I suggest going to Ebay and buying used antennas and cradles there. I did it for both my bike and my truck and saved quite a bit of money. It sounds cheesy, but if it's raining I use a plastic sandwich bag. I live in Seattle..so the bag gets used a fair amount and it works great.

PM me if you get stuck on the install and I can send some pics and advice.

I used a velcro-type adhesive to stick the antenna on top of my clutch fluid reservoir. I originally had it on my top case, but any time I put stuff like a sleeping bag on top I lost signal. This way I can easily take the antenna off each time I change the fluid.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Keep an eye on ebay, I picked up an XM receiver for my garmin for $100 new in the box. I think it was a refub unit however it's been working fine for over a year.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Here's what I have on my bike;

Garmin 2820 w/mp3

Sirius receiver (old Kenwood unit)

Mixit2

I feed the GPS and Sirius into the Mixit2. I then plug a Bluetooth dongle into the line-out of the Mixit2 and pair it to a Camos BTH500 headset. It takes a little trial & error to get the volumes set for the proper interrupt, but this has worked flawlessly for me for the past two years. Good luck!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a Cardo Scala Rider Q2 wireless headset that receives FM. I receive an FM signal from my Sirius Starmate Replay through the Cardo. The trick is to go on eBay and buy one of the older Sirius receivers that have a strong FM transmitter. The new ones have practically worthless transmitters. I also have a Zune mp3 player hooked to a combination charger/FM transmitter that plugs into my lighter socket. I have each of the devices transmit on a different frequency so that I can switch between them using the station presets on my Scala Rider.:beatnik:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts