StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I got to see the new Vee and was impressed with how it felt to sit on and liked the looks. Now the ? For me is do I but it or spend 4 grand more and buy the KTM 1190. I have demo'd the KTM and is the most amazing bike I've ever ridden. But it does have lots of electronics to give issues over time. But it is a bad ass bike to ride. I wish suzuki had demo rides around here like KTM does. Decisions decisions.

·
Administrator
17,529 Posts
The KTM is bad ass until it leaves you stranded one too many times or has things breaking or failing that shouldn't, I will keep buying the more dependable Japanese machines.

·
Registered
23 Posts
ktm

i was in a local dealer yesterday and was sitting on a ktm 1190 and really liked as well. Was talking to salesman and he said when you bring it in for its first service you had better have about 1400.00 bucks in your pocket. i guess everything is expensive and he said its exotic bike like ducati. Just what i was told.:jawdrop:

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
The KTM is bad ass until it leaves you stranded one too many times or has things breaking or failing that shouldn't, I will keep buying the more dependable Japanese machines.
Big B has a solid point on the build. I would rather have the new Strom than the KTM.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Yes,

Do you want it to run some of the time, be fun some of the time, or have it run and be fun all of the time? For less money. KTM, Austrian for Kosts too much. Seriously, unless you are crossing the desert, are you going to utilize the dirt aspect of the bike that much? I mean, you could, but just asking. I realize the Strom won't do anything as well as the KTM, but like Brian says, it will run cheaply and reliably. Not sure about the KTM; I guess it might. I think I'd save the four grand myself, unless my pockets were large, which they are not.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'd choose reliability over bad-ass every time.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes,

Do you want it to run some of the time, be fun some of the time, or have it run and be fun all of the time? For less money. KTM, Austrian for Kosts too much. Seriously, unless you are crossing the desert, are you going to utilize the dirt aspect of the bike that much? I mean, you could, but just asking. I realize the Strom won't do anything as well as the KTM, but like Brian says, it will run cheaply and reliably. Not sure about the KTM; I guess it might. I think I'd save the four grand myself, unless my pockets were large, which they are not.
Read up on the KTM a little and you will find that there are 2 versions the standard is the one with 17-19 inch wheel combo like the Vee and the R has the 18-21 more off road oriented. They also have different suspension setups as far as how they are adjusted.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i was in a local dealer yesterday and was sitting on a ktm 1190 and really liked as well. Was talking to salesman and he said when you bring it in for its first service you had better have about 1400.00 bucks in your pocket. i guess everything is expensive and he said its exotic bike like ducati. Just what i was told.:jawdrop:
I'm sure it is if you are a dealership service oriented owner, same with a BMW. I'm not going to have ANY new bike I buy serviced at the dealer so they can charge what they want.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Well I got to see the new Vee and was impressed with how it felt to sit on and liked the looks. Now the ? For me is do I but it or spend 4 grand more and buy the KTM 1190. I have demo'd the KTM and is the most amazing bike I've ever ridden. But it does have lots of electronics to give issues over time. But it is a bad ass bike to ride. I wish suzuki had demo rides around here like KTM does. Decisions decisions.
I was exactly in the same position. On my first test ride, I felt in love with the ktm. Bad ass bike it is, and very exciting to ride. Then I test rode the Vee2. I was impressed by the low end torque, but I said to myself "it's not the ktm".

Then I test rode the ktm a second time. The first "crazy wow" was passed, and I fully realized that the amazing power of the ktm was in the mid to the higher rpm range. I was playing with it in some country roads going up to 180 km\h and having fun. Back on the highway, I was crusing at 130 km\h and I felt almost like I was going 80. Then I said to myself: this bike is either going to get me killed, or I will lose my drivers licence...

I went to test ride the vee2 a second time, convinced that it was not as fun as the ktm. Then I started to play with the Vee2 like I did with the ktm, on the same roads, but using the low end torque, and I said to myself: this thing is fun, and fun "sooner" compared to the ktm. Yes It doesn't have that kick in the ass after 6000 rpm, but I was still having fun. When I was taking the entrance to the highway, I remember I was a little disappointed to notice that I was reaching the end of the throttle, but I was at 140km/h on the 3rd gear and when changing gear I reached easily 180 km/h on the 6th.

Also, when I was thinking about buying the ktm, I was already searching for options for replacing the seat, a solution to deal with the handlebar vibrations, and another solution to deal with the heat coming from the engine at very low speed...

In conclusion, the ktm starts to be crazy fun when the Vee2 starts to look a bit after its breath, but at this point you're already riding at speed that can make you lose your head or your licence. Yes, riding an europeen bike compared to a jap one is a different experience in terms of feeling of quality. But that comes with a price, both when you buy it and when you're doing the maintenance.

A friend of mine, who is a pro rider, said to me: I prefer having a lower powered bike and push it to its limit than having a higher powered bike and feel that the bike is way more capable than me. So, I put a deposit on a Vee2 and I will pick it up next week. I'm planning a 5 weeks ride this summer with some of the money I saved over the ktm.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was exactly in the same position. On my first test ride, I felt in love with the ktm. Bad ass bike it is, and very exciting to ride...

...Also, when I was thinking about buying the ktm, I was already searching for options for replacing the seat, a solution to deal with the handlebar vibrations, and another solution to deal with the heat coming from the engine at very low speed...

...A friend of mine, who is a pro rider, said to me: I prefer having a lower powered bike and push it to its limit than having a higher powered bike and feel that the bike is way more capable than me.
I concur with these 3 statements after a KTM 1190 test drive. Also a longer reach to the bars on the KTM.
BUT,
to me, pushing a lower powered bike to its limit includes revving up to red-line before shifting, like 10,000+ rpm on a Wee. I don't understand what pushing the Vee2 power to the limit even means. Using abundant mid-range torque is fun, but not what I call pushing a lower powered bike to its limit. Your friend prefers the lower powered bike because it is more fun. There is just no way I can see the Vee2 being more fun than the 1190, even under the speed limit. I can see the DL650 being more fun than the Vee2, but the 650 is just too slow for some riders.

The Vee2 is the sensible choice and a good compromise overall. But will it be boring a year or two down the line?

·
Registered
64 Posts
There is just no way I can see the Vee2 being more fun than the 1190, even under the speed limit...

The Vee2 is the sensible choice and a good compromise overall. But will it be boring a year or two down the line?
No, overall, I also doubt that the Vee2 will be more fun than the ktm. But, for me, the questions are:
1- Is the fun factor difference is high enough to justify the price difference, the higher maintenance cost and all those different things I need to change on the ktm to compensate for some of it's "flaws"?
2- Is the Vee2 fun enough?

Based on my 4 test rides, my answer was "not sure" for the first question and "yes" for the second one. And what's good about the Vee2 is that you don't have to rev it too high to have fun. By the way, have you tried the Vee2?

Will I be happy with my Vee2 in 2 years or will I be bored? Well, if I knew what will happen for sure in two years I would be rich and famous. If I'm still satisfied with my Vee2, I'll be happy I bought it and I'll stay with it. If not, I may change for the ktm, but I'll feel good about the fact that I tried the Vee2 and that it hopefuly gave time to ktm to improuve the 1190 adv seat, windscreen, heat management and overall reliability.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have not tried the vee2 because there are no demo rides in my area. I also did not find that even with my 300 pounds that I had to use the upper end of the rpm range on the KTM to get the needed power to ride hard. And I rode the piss out of it for an hour or more on twisty roads I know.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have not tried the vee2 because there are no demo rides in my area. I also did not find that even with my 300 pounds that I had to use the upper end of the rpm range on the KTM to get the needed power to ride hard. And I rode the piss out of it for an hour or more on twisty roads I know.
When you'll try the Vee2, you'll understand better my comment concerning the difference between the low end power fun of the suzuki vs mid range power fun of the ktm. The Vee2 power is so low, it's very surprising. That said, no you will never get on the vee2 the adrenaline rush you had on the 1190 adv. If that's what you're looking for, go with the ktm.

·
Administrator
17,529 Posts
I concur with these 3 statements after a KTM 1190 test drive. Also a longer reach to the bars on the KTM.
BUT,
to me, pushing a lower powered bike to its limit includes revving up to red-line before shifting, like 10,000+ rpm on a Wee. I don't understand what pushing the Vee2 power to the limit even means. Using abundant mid-range torque is fun, but not what I call pushing a lower powered bike to its limit. Your friend prefers the lower powered bike because it is more fun. There is just no way I can see the Vee2 being more fun than the 1190, even under the speed limit. I can see the DL650 being more fun than the Vee2, but the 650 is just too slow for some riders.

So the 650 must be terribly boring to ride, Suzuki hardly sells any of them. And before you say there are many new riders buying them........think again. The amount of smiling and grinning that goes on under my helmet when I ride my WR250R is addicting, and my slow compared to others 1000 V-Strom does the same. It is a cock measuring contest and an adrenaline rush issue, but very few riders can honestly push most bikes to it's limits. 150 HP for an ADV style bike..........that is beyond hilarious.

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
I finally got to see a new DL1000 up close, down in Rockingham NC. I take back what I said about the beak; up close, it's a really nice looking ride. However, that tan and brown paint job (including a two tone seat) looked to me as if it must have been conceived in an absinthe fueled nightmare. Brown and tan just aren't colors that leap to my mind for a motorcycle, unless you're charging across the desert after Rommel.

But the red and black one looks really nice.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hickory, mooresville and rockingham have them in stock. Probably Albermarle as well. I'm guessing by now most US dealers should have one

·
Registered
11 Posts
No, overall, I also doubt that the Vee2 will be more fun than the ktm. But, for me, the questions are:
1- Is the fun factor difference is high enough to justify the price difference, the higher maintenance cost and all those different things I need to change on the ktm to compensate for some of it's "flaws"?
2- Is the Vee2 fun enough?

Based on my 4 test rides, my answer was "not sure" for the first question and "yes" for the second one. And what's good about the Vee2 is that you don't have to rev it too high to have fun. By the way, have you tried the Vee2?

Will I be happy with my Vee2 in 2 years or will I be bored? Well, if I knew what will happen for sure in two years I would be rich and famous. If I'm still satisfied with my Vee2, I'll be happy I bought it and I'll stay with it. If not, I may change for the ktm, but I'll feel good about the fact that I tried the Vee2 and that it hopefuly gave time to ktm to improuve the 1190 adv seat, windscreen, heat management and overall reliability.
Well put, Thomasttom.

I have not test ridden the Vee2. My local Suzuki dealer does not have one yet and he is adverse to allowing test rides.
I did test ride the Caponord 1200 after my 1190 Adventure test ride. I missed the 1190 power, but the Caponord did not scream out for aftermarket comfort farkles like the KTM did. And it's a bit cheaper. So I may skip the hassle involved in a Suzuki test ride (I would do it if it was offered). If I needed off road capability I would have already bought the KTM. I need a street bike that sees occasional dirt roads. Aprilia might be a bigger Euro type headache than even KTM; I need a DL1200. So I may buy the Aprilia.

·
Registered
59 Posts
However, that tan and brown paint job (including a two tone seat) looked to me as if it must have been conceived in an absinthe fueled nightmare. Brown and tan just aren't colors that leap to my mind for a motorcycle, unless you're charging across the desert after Rommel.

Sorry to hear you say that, well not really. Mine just showed up. Picking up this weekend hopefully

Attachments

·
Registered
556 Posts
Sorry to hear you say that, well not really. Mine just showed up. Picking up this weekend hopefully

Love that khaki color, but I was told the Adventure model currently only comes in black. (Oregon, U.S.A.)

Escape the cage!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts