StromTrooper banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve used the search function and read all the posts I could find on the topic trying to make my decision. I’m wondering if someone here has had both these seats on a 1050 and if you can share your thoughts.

From what I’ve read here, it seems clear that day long is the way to go for absolute maximum comfort, but the wait time is long (I’m on the list for late October), and paying for shipping both ways isn’t awesome.

If the Sargent is twice as good as stock but not quite as comfy as the day long I think I can live with that.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Another one to consider is the Saddlemen.

Never owned or tried a RDL - just can't get past the look - while it DOES look comfortable, to my eye it looks like it belongs on a GoldWing.

Have owned Sargents on three bikes, and they were always a very good improvement over the stock seats - and were comfortable for 300-400 mile days in my experience.

Wanted to try something different on my DL1000XT, and have been very happy with the Saddlemen - not sure if they make one for the 1050, so email them if not on their website.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Another one to consider is the Saddlemen.

Never owned or tried a RDL - just can't get past the look - while it DOES look comfortable, to my eye it looks like it belongs on a GoldWing.

Have owned Sargents on three bikes, and they were always a very good improvement over the stock seats - and were comfortable for 300-400 mile days in my experience.

Wanted to try something different on my DL1000XT, and have been very happy with the Saddlemen - not sure if they make one for the 1050, so email them if not on their website.

Lv
Is the saddle man seat taller than the stock ymunit on your XT?

thanks

·
Registered
109 Posts
Lv
Is the saddle man seat taller than the stock ymunit on your XT?

thanks
Yes, by about an inch - check the pics in my review thread (keeping in mind no center stand so bike was lifted up a bit on the front wheel holder that I use). But the Saddlemen is also slightly narrower than stock so didn't notice any longer reach to the ground.

·
Registered
884 Posts
This is for a 650 but really the ergonomics are quite similar to the 1050.
For me the Sargeant is 30% better than stock, but then I could ride easily for 3 hours non stop on the stock seat. Much depends on your weight and body shape. I am fairly slim, 6ft.
Can easily ride 4 hrs non stop with the Sargeant. For my wife as pillion she says it makes a very big difference but I really can’t ride more than 2 hours non stop with her. Just not as comfortable for the pillion on most adv style bikes.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
My experience with the 2 seats has been on a 2009 DL650 FWIW. Seats are also VERY personal, what works for one person doesn't work for another. With that said here's my experience withe 2 seats.

Sargent - not any better than stock for me, maybe worse. Luckily they had a 30 day return policy.

RDL - Fantastic, worth every penny.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Two cents, I was very happy with my Top Sellerie gel seat on the Gladius, but then again the stock seat was a medieval torture device.

·
Premium Member
2,218 Posts
Ship a used seat to Russell, that way when it comes time to sell the bike, you can sell it with either one and recoupe some money. Your bike will stay on the road. I bought a new one from a local Suzuki dealer and they dropped it off to Russell no charge. Recently had 4 sessions of 12 hours days. On the last leg, I got home exhausted....spoke to some friends and head back out for a meet up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts