StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the chance to pickup a used Sargent seat locally for around 250 . I want a new seat because mine sucks, could spend 100 and get it redone or jump at the Sargent . Every body raves about Sargent seats being good.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I got a sargent seat last summer before a long ride. It didn't turn my Vee into a couch, but now, the butt pain stop rising after a while, and it's manageable

the shape really help reaching the ground for the vertically challenged like me (5'7")

·
Registered
470 Posts
I have the chance to pickup a used Sargent seat locally for around 250 . I want a new seat because mine sucks, could spend 100 and get it redone or jump at the Sargent . Every body raves about Sargent seats being good.
For $250 just do it. Your butt will thank you for it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
If I was on the other side of Ottawa I would try to pick that one up myself. Go for it, I would think you could sell it for the same if you don't like it.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Sargent is a good seat, but that guy in Florida who modifies Vstrom seats does a great job too.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Do It..

Do it Man. I paired mine with an Alaska Leather sheep skin and I completed my first Iron Butt saddle sore 1000.. No issues I love this combo.
Good luck
Brian

:yesnod:

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
FWIW, I own a Sargent. I am sure there are better alternatives, e.g., Russell custom. But, my current seat has no deficiencies that motivate me to spend any money on a replacement.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I bought a Sargent to replace the stock. The Sargent was better .... but not much. A (barely tolerable) 200 mile day on the stock seat became a (barely tolerable) 275 mile day. Either was miserable at that point.

I took my stock to an upholstery shop and had all the stock foam and gel pad replaced with much better foam and widened slightly. The Stock is now much superior to the Sargent. I think the problem is that my seat bones hit directly on the edge of the Sargent which resulted in pain. With the revised stock my seat bones are slightly inside the seat edges resulting in much more comfort. I still wouldn't take either on a saddlesore. My rear simply couldn't take it.

I think a lot depends on your build. I am 6' with a 33.5" inseam if that helps.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Hey, I've seen that ad on Kijiji too! I live on Kijiji because I am a stamp collector and prey on...nothing....honest. :yesnod: My bike has a gel insert and I have a real, large white sheepskin that I can throw over it. Previous owner said he had a Corbin first, and then did the seat mod. Liked the mod better.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I used a Sargent seat for a day. It wasn't for me. See if you can take a ride on one for an hour before spending the dough.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I bought a Sargent to replace the stock. The Sargent was better .... but not much. A (barely tolerable) 200 mile day on the stock seat became a (barely tolerable) 275 mile day. Either was miserable at that point.

I took my stock to an upholstery shop and had all the stock foam and gel pad replaced with much better foam and widened slightly. The Stock is now much superior to the Sargent. I think the problem is that my seat bones hit directly on the edge of the Sargent which resulted in pain. With the revised stock my seat bones are slightly inside the seat edges resulting in much more comfort. I still wouldn't take either on a saddlesore. My rear simply couldn't take it.

I think a lot depends on your build. I am 6' with a 33.5" inseam if that helps.
Do you have a photo of your redone seat?

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
I had a Sargent for a little while -- didn't do it for me. But if you can get one cheap enough it's worth a try, because you can always sell it to another butt-sore experimenter.

I finally got my OEM seat modified for $250 by Rick Mayer and I'm very satisfied with it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts