StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've contacted Sargent about this. They seemed anxious to help but couldn't get back to me before tomorrow. Not a complaint, here... Just want to know if this is out of the ordinary:

·
Registered
122 Posts
I recently got a Sargent. The fit isn't as good as the stock seat. I have to play with it a little to put it on. My does fit though -it is just a little finicky.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Mine fits the same

Bought the bike with the seat already installed so I never questioned the fit till I saw this thread. Mine fits the same and I assume it allows for a little flex when your weight is plopped down on it. Love my seat and would buy another.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Make sure the front tabs fit under the rear tank mounting bridge itself, not just under the tank lip. The stock seat has thick plastic tabs that won't fit between the tank and the bridge. The thinner metal tabs on the Sargent can. Putting those tabs between the bridge and the tank will bend the tabs up when you sit on the seat and you'll have trouble getting the seat on again. It will seem to fit in front but won't catch in back although the problem is really in the front. A big crescent wrench can be used to straighten the tabs if that happens. You can see the rear tank lip just above the bridge in this pic.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I triple checked the tabs. In fact, from the left side, with the seat on, I can see the right tab in the correct place through the gap and helmet lock notch. So I know that's not it.

May just be the way the thing fits? Sargent will give me a ring tomorrow.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Having just returned from the garage after feeling up my Sargent I can tell you that yes, that's about the way it fits. Remember that the seat pan is wider than stock where you sit, so that's part of the gap.

·
Registered
279 Posts
That is the way mine fits.

BTW, don't get a pressure washer anywhere near it, even on the finesse nozzle setting. I have grey streaks in mine.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My big concern is getting water and grime up inside the storage/electrical in there. Those gaps are big enough to get a rock up in there.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Sit on it and see how it fits.

·
Registered
279 Posts
My big concern is getting water and grime up inside the storage/electrical in there. Those gaps are big enough to get a rock up in there.
I don't think there is any way that a stock seat seals water tight, and the Sargent has the built in tube that I put my registration and insurance in.

Ride it.

·
$tromtrooper
845 Posts
I had the same problems, poor fit and it was a pain to reinstall. Then it started to tear were the seat touches the side panels. I had enough, sold it and bought a Rick Mayer seat. It fits like the stock seat because he uses the original seat pan but it's just as comfortable as the Sargent. Do as I did, send you original seat in and use the Sargent while he makes your new seat then sell the Sargent to get most of your money back. You won't regret it.

·
Registered
167 Posts
The previous owner had already bought a Sargent seat and ridden on it for maybe 10K miles, so maybe that's why mine seems to fit a little tighter than yours. Pat is right about those fiddly front tabs, and compared to the stock seat (which I also got from her first owner) it does not fit as tightly or go on as easily. Of course I also have totally maxed out the amount of stuff I carry under the seat which adds to the difficulty of putting it back on.:yesnod:

Having said that, I have ridden both in the last month and MUCH prefer the Sargent. I also really like that document tube, which I am using for a 1st aid kit as well as documents.

Dave

·
Registered
132 Posts
mine can catch the front tab in two spots. One is correct and it fits nice and tight, the other isn't and looks how yours looks.
I don't have it in front of me right now (as I'm surfing at work :yikes:) but that's what mine looks like if you missfire on the install.
with extra cables coming off the battery it's easy to do.
that is all:yesnod:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts