StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my new seat in yesterday and its not as comfortable as I had hoped. I cannot seem to find a position I'm happy with. The largest problem is the front of the seat seems to cuts in under my thighs and I feel like I'm always sitting on the edge of the seat, I was pretty uncomfortable after my 15 min ride to work this morning. Is this something that will be made better with break in or should I go ahead and give it up and try something else. I am coming from a gel which had its own problems but was not bad for short rides.

·
Registered
210 Posts
As I recall, I felt the same thing when I got mine but it didn't take long to not even notice it. Most any seat you get needs a breakin period. My expensive Travelcade seat on my Goldwing didn't feel good until after 1K miles.
I like the Sargent because I can sit a bit further back and to me it feels like a comfortable tractor seat.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As I recall, I felt the same thing when I got mine but it didn't take long to not even notice it. Most any seat you get needs a breakin period. My expensive Travelcade seat on my Goldwing didn't feel good until after 1K miles.
I like the Sargent because I can sit a bit further back and to me it feels like a comfortable tractor seat.
that's good to hear, I really want to like the seat. I also think I would like the "rise" in the back to be further back, it just seems the seating area is too small for my fat ass but maybe time will fix my problems.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Obviously, the seat is completely wrong for you.... I will give you 20 bucks for it.....:biggrinjester:

seriously though, give any seat 1000K before you judge it.... took me several 1000 km's before the stock seat stopped bothering me when I first got the bike, now I can do 10 and 12 hour rides with little discomfort...

·
Registered
21 Posts
that's good to hear, I really want to like the seat. I also think I would like the "rise" in the back to be further back, it just seems the seating area is too small for my fat ass but maybe time will fix my problems.

Another member on this thread had similar issues with his Sargent seat..

http://www.stromtrooper.com/dl-1000-specific/66092-roasting-seat-3.html

You might consider if this is something you would like to try out!

I am 6' 7" & 295 lb...& it has been a good solution for my long rides! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
707 Posts
Obviously, the seat is completely wrong for you.... I will give you 20 bucks for it.....:biggrinjester:

seriously though, give any seat 1000K before you judge it.... took me several 1000 km's before the stock seat stopped bothering me when I first got the bike, now I can do 10 and 12 hour rides with little discomfort...
Never fails that there is always a Stromtrooper ready to help out a buddy in need! hahahaha :biggrinjester:

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
That's me... I'm a givver....

·
Registered
276 Posts
I scored a barely used Sargeant seat off of Craigslist this weekend. It only took 20 minutes of riding to know that this was a definite improvement. Combined with the Rox risers, Richland Rick peg lowering kit this adds up to a more relaxed riding position for longer ride durations.
The Sargeant is narrower in the nose and wider in the seat area, so if you experience the cut in the thigh area you are not sitting far enough back in the seat.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Corbin told my buddies to do a 2k 'breakin' on their new custom seats. One of the guys definitely felt the same effect you did, sitting on a ridge with his leg... i think they were both sold on the seats after a few thousand miles though.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
I just did 1785 miles in two days on a well broken in Sargent and Alaska Leather sheepskin. I only started getting said upper leg to butt junction burn late on the second day.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
There is no "one size fits all" when it comes to seats. I had a Sargent for three or four years and it was better than stock, but not nearly as good as the Russell I replaced it with.

I don't recall any break in period with it. If there were changes, they were less noticeable than the Russell.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Love my Sargent. First 10 seconds in it I knew I had scored. I do want to get a sheepskin or bead seat for the heat. But, comfort wise, I love it more every day.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks to everyone for great input. I think I will have to give it some time to break in and get used to it. My ride at lunch seemed better but it was very short also I think some bar risers will help so I'm not leaning into it as much but I'm not crazy about risers, a lot of the ones I have seen clutter up the top of the tree and I also do not want anything that will add any flex between the bars and the forks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts