StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How does the sargent / russel seat passenger accommodation compare to that of the gel seat? I found the thread comparing them but the pics are no longer visible. My wife is really short (4'11") and the width of the gel seat makes her have to slide far forward on the seat so that she can get her feet comfortably rested on the pegs. I'd like to find a seat that's more comfortable, but I need something that isn't super wide.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Russel will build what ever is needed to make the back part of the seat accomodating for the passenger. They are custom seats built for the rider/passenger.

Sargent seats are okay at best and are off the shelf made for a "typical" sized passenger.

Spend money wisely and have a seat custom made for you and your passenger. They are more money for a reason and it isn't because they are just more expensive.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
You can try removing the cover and carving the seat to fit, or try a local upholstery shop with some seat shaping experience.

·
Registered
255 Posts
EC90T has it about right. Sargent builds an 'off the shelf' seat that is generally good. Russell builds a custom seat to your specifications.
If it were me and your situation I would go with a custom seat maker and I think you'll get better results.
Having had seats built by several of the custom guys I think Russell may be the most comfortable, especially for a heavy person but I've had good results from both Bill and Rick Mayer. I've had the most done by Rick, five now, largely because his prices are the lowest among the three and they've worked well enough for me.
One other factor that may not enter here is that Russell is the only one of the three that will do a backrest for rider and passenger. I don't believe either of the Mayers will do them.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Better idea ... move the pegs so she can reach them on any seat.

There is a kind of adjustable replacement peg that includes an arm to move the peg to a new location, and that would include up and back. I'll see if I can find the link and some pictures.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Better idea ... move the pegs so she can reach them on any seat.

There is a kind of adjustable replacement peg that includes an arm to move the peg to a new location, and that would include up and back. I'll see if I can find the link and some pictures.
That would be great.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,473 Posts
Russell Day Long seats are available in many configurations. If you order the rider saddle to suit you but don't request the pillion upgrades you get basically a stock rear portion. A lot of the Russels you see for sale by owners will lack the passenger upgrade. Like mentioned above, the Sargent, Corbins do not do much for the passenger typically. Maybe a little better than stock but very generic.

Order your Russell fitted to your passenger and they will get a seat that looks a lot like the riders seat. They don't put the springs in it, but it will have nice wings and the foam is completely reworked. NO problems sliding around.

·
Registered
255 Posts
You can certainly come up with a way to move the passenger pegs up or down as needed, that should be an easy thing to do.
Get a good seat though, that is money well spent.

·
Registered
669 Posts

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts