StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I was flipping through a magazine the other day I came across a picture of what I believe to be a triumph tiger, cresting a sand dune. And of course it got me wondering weather or not my strom could do the same.

I was curious if anyone on here has had any experience riding their vstrom in the sand and how it handled it. I know that the next time I'm down near Pismo it will be hard to resist a ride down the beach.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
710 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Deep sand = 1
V-strom = 0

Tried to get into Horseshoe Canyon, Utah. Bike fully gassed and loaded with gear (planned to stay there a couple nights). Sand was over a foot deep in places. It was a nightmare on fairly new Anakee 2s. Had to abort the mission :thumbdown: But Goblin Valley was awesome and the backcountry nearby brought tears to my eyes at sunset :yesnod:

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Best day of riding I ever had (in some ways) was on a sandy beach with dunes on a Suzuki TM250. The harder you stay on the throttle the more the bike 'floats' on the sand.
It was one thing on a 250 MX bike, I figure the experience would not be quite as joyous on a near 500 pound 'adventure' bike. But I'd be willing to try it on somebody else's bike.

·
Premium Member
3,411 Posts
One would have to be a pretty talented rider (some are, not me) to fly over the sand dunes on a 500 lb machine. It can be plenty of fun on the right bike though.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Momentum. You slow, you sink, you stop. I had my old softail HD on a dry sand beach once. If you don't power up in a turn, you'll get pitched off

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Sand sucks on these big bikes. AFter having a DR350 for a while which never had a problem in sand the Strom just digs in and sinks sometimes. Tires have a big effect on this.

·
Registered
223 Posts
sand 1
vee o
tried it once, got into 6-12 inches of soft sand, 4 mi from the nearest anything...high sided twice...nasty bruise on my left ankle...rode 2 mi with both feet down, fighting it all the way...

·
Premium Member
966 Posts
sand 1
vstrom 0
Attended a Jimmy Lewis seminar this past weekend in Death Valley. From what he explained, tires are everything. You have to have pretty aggresive knobbies with knobbbies sticking out along the sides of the sidewall. He also said slow and go but you have to have the right tires. Jimmy talked about all the winners at the races usually go through the sand slow and goose the throttle when it starts to dig in. The guys that go fast through the sand spend too much time picking up their bikes.
I went down in a patch of sand and found my Anankee 3 suck in sand and deeper gravel. Great street or packed dirt fire road kind of tire though.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Not so bad

I'll admit riding on sand while not "easy" it is not as hard as some make it out to be. Just be steady and when she starts getting wibbly give it some gas. I do mean some, if you hammer it you'll probably end up on your back side. Maybe even slip the clutch a little bit. Standing helps but you have to get going fast enough, but I think most give up before that point. Really going slow enough to paddle your feet is not fast enough to get it up on plane. Tires do make a difference, a tkc on the front and a K60 or E07 on the back will work. A tkc on the back would make it better. One final thing is do it unloaded if you can, if that isn't viable you'll soon learn the value in trying to pack as light as possible.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Watch the guys in the Dakar. If they go too slow, they sink and stall. On a dirt bike it's like riding in deep soupy mud. Knobbys make all the difference, but dirt bike already have them. A rear paddle tire makes it just plain fun

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
A little while back a mate and I with our partners hired a pair of 2010 Wee's from Port Douglas Australia, the rules are no beach riding but if there is one in front of you what is a man to do ?

It was great experience but not a lot of real good fun, a lot of hard work yes, fun no.

Keeping the power on works great but at some point you must slow down, the Wee becomes very heavy on the front end and you start to plough.

My WR450f is fun in the sand the Wee is just hard work.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Only when I have to. If you ride off pavement in Texas, eventually you'll have to.........

Air down your tires as much as you dare. Then it's just like riding a dirt bike; stand up, weight back to keep the front end light (and float on top of the sand), and steady but judicious use of your right wrist. Slip the clutch when you have too, but keep the RPM's up. Steer with the throttle and weight bias right to left. If you let off the gas your tires will sink in and you're toast. Easier said than done no doubt. Pea gravel is a similar technique. Sand sucks hard on a big heavy bike.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
DL ~5
Sand 0

Steering damper makes it almost bearable. The front still tends to dig in, but throttle fixes that, but at least it stays pointed mostly in the right direction.

And no, I've never been taken down by sand on the DL, even without the damper I've managed to stay upright. Can't say it was always enjoyable though :) - a lot of dirt bike experience behind that.

Pete

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
Keeping the power on works great but at some point you must slow down, the Wee becomes very heavy on the front end and you start to plough.

My WR450f is fun in the sand the Wee is just hard work.
Nonsense! My DL loves the sand so much it rolls in it like a playful puppy.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I live 30 minutes from a 1 million acre pinelands preserve. There are hundreds of miles of sandy fire roads that I have been riding on single cylinder bikes for decades. The Vstrom is the first multi-cylinder bike I have ridden there. Once a person gets used to the nuances of riding sand, the Vstrom is fun. As was said earlier, it is all about floating the front wheel with the throttle. Another tip is to air down the tires. That helps increase traction.

One more note about riding in deep sand. When you go down, it usually does not result in injury to bike or rider. So, don't be afraid to give it a try.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
One more note about riding in deep sand. When you go down, it usually does not result in injury to bike or rider. So, don't be afraid to give it a try.
My wiser wife was behind me at the beach and gave me a 10.0 on my dismount which was a forward roll with me ending up on my feet.

My mistake was not wanting to roost the sunbathers just out frame.

If I had stayed on the throttle through those ATV donut ruts, I would not have had the photo op.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts