Strom Trooper banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning a weekend ride to the San Jaun islands soon. I will be leaving oregon about 4 pm on a friday and plan to either get on the islands friday night or first thing saturday morning. I need to be back in PDX by 5pm on Sunday.

anyone have a ride route or recomendations on hotels, sights, roads ect?

This is going to be the first time my wife and I have done a trip longer than a quick day trip. its going to be her and I and a friend ion an EX-500 so no gravel.

Any locals want to meet up or ride a bit along the route let me know.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Reaper, gladly exchange my San Juan suggestions :yesnod:for your handgun suggestions :weapons_38: Sound fair? Oh what the heck, I'll share anyway....:green_lol:

·
Registered
504 Posts
Check Ferry schedules, pay for and reserve slots on the ferry here WSDOT - Ferries There can be horrendous wait times and missed ferries if you don't.

I have company coming Friday night so can't do a ride along but wish you a good time.

OOPS EDIT, I just realized that you posted "a" Friday which doesn't necessarily mean this Friday. Might be available for a bit of a ride along, will keep an eye on this thread.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Keith, your always welcome to my opinions about firearms...Even if you DON'T want them. :confused:

Rpatton - September 20,21,22nd. that is unless the weather deters my wife.

·
Registered
105 Posts
A couple suggestions:
Get to the Anacortes ferry terminal about a half hour before your sailing is scheduled. Thankfully they send motorcycles to the front of the line for first-on, first-off.
If the weather is sunny, I would definitely take the ride up Mt. Constitution in Moran State Park on Orcas Island. It is a slow twisty mountain climb with cliffs on the side, and the views from the top are really cool. If socked in with fog or low clouds or rain, the view is still interesting, but just not the same.
Touring around San Juan Island is also nice. It is flat, but the ride up the west coast of the island is nice, and Lime Kiln Park is also called whale watch park as it is the best place anywhere for a chance of seeing a pod of killer whales from the shore (still a slight chance.) I like to leave Friday Harbor going south to Cattle Point and then up the west side to Roche Harbor with stops along the way. Oh yeah, stop in at American Camp (a historical confrontation between Americans and English happened on the island a hundred years ago) you might like the historical stuff, or you might enjoy seeing red foxes that are just about tame and often come to the parking lot mooching for treats.
Here is a link to a map. http://www.visitsanjuans.com/sites/www.visitsanjuans.com/files/uploads/SJIVB_Brochure_2013_Map.pdfThe orange lines are the most popular routes for tourists. But taking some of the side roads are fun too.
Both of these islands have shops and restaurants and hotels/B &B's etc.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for the suggestions so far.

My wife is going to want to hit the shops. I figure I have all day saturday after we get off the ferry and till about noon on sunday before we head back south.

I have been to the islands a few times but always had other things going. we stayed at Deer Island once and I was lead pyrotechnician for the 4th of July fireworks in 1992. I fired the Roche Harbor show and my assistance fired the Friday harbor show. 1992 was the last time I was there.

So should I plan a whole day on one island or can i reasonable split ocrus in the morning and San Juan in the afternoon or would it be better to focus on one, and if so which?

I am thinking about ferrying right to Friday Harbor and spending the whole day there and then maybe making deception pass a stop on sunday if I catch an early ferry to the mainland.

·
Registered
105 Posts
If it was me, and if there is shopping involved, and unless you mean you are going to drop the wife off and go ride all day while she shops.... unless that is your plan, I would stick with just one island.

One other idea related to your Deception Pass idea: On the way home you could leave the ferry and head south to Deception Pass, then continue south to Coupeville (another cute town of touristy shops on the water) on Whidbey Island. You could take the ferry from Coupeville to Port Townsend (ANOTHER touristy shopping town) then head south to home on the Hwy 101. This would provide much superior scenery and avoid the I-5 traffic jam that is often present from Everett to Olympia.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Also a logistics tip, you only pay for westbound ferries. So if you go from Anacortes to Orcas Island first, you will have to pay an extra $8 or something to go from Orcas to San Juan Island. If you do Anacortes to San Juan then San Juan to Orcas, you avoid that little fee, but the scheduling is is a little different to workout. I did an overnight motocamping trial to San Juan this summer with my wife and in a half day you can ride the whole San Juan Island. I would recommend going from the ferry straight to Roche Harbor and then work back down towards Friday Harbor via English Camp and then American Camp. The route from English Camp to American Camp can take you along the pretty side of San Juan. For the Anacortes Ferry you have to wait in line for the ticket, but after that they send you to the front of the boarding line if you are there on time. For catching the ferry at Friday Harbor, show up like 15 minutes early and roll up the corner that is just right of the ferry load/unload ramp and wait to be told what to do.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone for all the pointers and advice.

we may skip San Juan this weekend, Everyone I have talked to local is rolling up to the Oyster run in Anacortis, I understand that there isnt a hotel north of Seattle available.

I will make a final call tomorrow, its either San Juan or Crater lake. either way there should be a healthy dose of hwy 101 involved.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Whether heading North or South, have a great ride and be safe. Good times to be had in both locations. Did you get the bike completed for David?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I spent about 2 hours reassembling the SV today, It will be road worthy in time but it doesnt have a current licence plate, If he decides to take it we may grab a trip permit. He doesnt have the cash to transfer the tittle and he still owes me for a little over 50% of the purchase so I doubt Imma pony up for his paperwork.

If we do roll the SV chances are my wife will ride the green wenie. :yikes:

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
Don't count on anything with the ferries. They have been cancelling sailings due to lack of crew--in one case they even did not have a relief for a captain with a previously scheduled and approved vacation, and don't have extra crewmembers available for illness replacements and other normal reasons. There was recently a sailboater who scuttled his sailboat on the bow of a ferry--that resulted in several missed sailings. Mechanical breakdowns or extreme low tides at Coupeville (Port Townsend run; used to be called Keystone Harbor) result in other missed sailings. The low tide cancellations are noted on the WSF web page.

US-101 from just south of Port Townsend to Shelton is a great ride. Then, on to Olympia and I-5.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Oyster Run

Don't count on anything with the ferries.
True, but don't cancel your trip thinking there are no ferries. 90+% of the time they run, and pretty much on schedule. Think of it as getting from one side of your city to another... usually takes X amount of time, but you never know about traffic, accidents, etc. Similar with the San Juan ferries.

Also, if going THIS Sunday, Sept 22nd, it is the annual Oyster Run. Reputed to be the largest motorcycle event in the northwest every year. Thousands of motorcycles converge on the town of Anacortes. So, depending on your outlook, it could be a blast, or something you want to avoid. Link here: OYSTER RUN '13

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I managed to find lodging in Mt.Vernon. So I am heading out from My place around 2-3pm and getting in Mt Vernon when I roll in.

Ferry whenever I can get to friday Harbor and then late ferry back to the hotel. not going to be able to do much in the Oyster run because I have a deadline to be back at home for the house sitters.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Looks to be a pretty wet weekend! Ride safe and have a good time....

·
Registered
7,437 Posts

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So we left my place at 2:30 on the dot, I had joked with Dave that I wiuld buy him dinner if we made it to Mt Vernon by 8pm, Dave likes to stop for smoke breaks.

We stopped to don rain gear in Kalama. Got steady rain all the way through Seattle. We fueled at the trucks top at exit 99 (or close) and them rode through Seattle with only a little traffic from centrailia to just north of Seattle,

We got into Mt Vernon at 8:01... Dave bought dinner.

It should be noted that nothing the 3 of us own that says waterproof is.

Well it's off to the ferry for San Juan Island.

We are planning on leaving early am Sunday to teach home by 5 pm hopefully we will miss the pounding.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
409 Posts
Enjoy the Islands, ride safe and watch those steel ramps going on and off the ferries. :yikes:

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well we managed to miss the 9 am ferry. By about 5 min. We had an I unscheduled potty break and a bad directions issue ( I missed the exit ) so we are grabbing a coffee and pastry in anacortis and going to hit up the 11:55. So our ride is cut by a few hours. But I'm sure the shopping will be the same allocation :)

Thanks for the heads up on the ramps.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

1 - 20 of 31 Posts