StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Motorcycle salvage shops around here charge about 1/2 the list cost of NOS parts from a dealer. It's simply not worth it, although maybe in other parts of the country they are more reasonable. I know this because I went to a large m/c salvage yard (Sacramento-area folks know the one in Rancho Cordova) to find a couple of alloy wheels for an 80s-vintage bike I was restoring. Looking around in the yard I found some that would fit and asked the guy at the desk how much they would cost. To my amazement he consulted a catalog that told him the new OEM price was about $400 each, so he told me he could sell them for $200 each. That's right, $400 for two wheels off some hulk that had been sitting outside in the yard for probably a decade or two! Not being a rude person I just turned on my heel and walked out without a word even though I was mightily insulted that he thought I might be stupid enough to pay that.

Try Oneida Suzuki for OEM new parts at a decent discount. But eBay is probably your cheapest and best option.

Reactions: McRooster

·
Registered
304 Posts
I resurrected a crashed V Strom. Ebay and patient is your best bet.
I ended up buy from from salvage yards all over the place. Just be patient and you will find descent prices.

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
At the risk of being "that guy", Google is your friend in inquiries like this. On a quick check of "motorcycle salvage yards in MD", this was the first entry:

Welcome to A&J Cycle Salvage!

They're in Lester, PA, which may or may not be close to you, but they also do internet business. There's also a place in Baltimore called Baltimore Cycle Salvage (go figure, huh?), at 232 N Franklintown Rd, Baltimore, MD. There are others listed, but those are among the first couple on the search.

·
Registered
141 Posts
At the risk of being "that guy", Google is your friend in inquiries like this. On a quick check of "motorcycle salvage yards in MD", this was the first entry:

Welcome to A&J Cycle Salvage!

They're in Lester, PA, which may or may not be close to you, but they also do internet business. There's also a place in Baltimore called Baltimore Cycle Salvage (go figure, huh?), at 232 N Franklintown Rd, Baltimore, MD. There are others listed, but those are among the first couple on the search.
Baltimore Cycle Salvage
They do not have a web site and do not have a large stock of V / Wee parts. Owner seemed very knowledgeable about his stock. Would be a likely option for parts.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15,605 Posts
In L.A, and no that is not Lower Alabama, salvage yards don't seem to have DL parts. Phooey! I checked recently.
The few parts I need i guess I'll get from places that carry OEM parts.
Ocoas, didn't you send me that fender? Beautiful. I think I owe someone a beer!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts