1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
So where is the damage? I wiped out the headlight bucket and mount and windshield. Only cost 5-6 hundred to repair.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Damage??

So where is the damage? I wiped out the headlight bucket and mount and windshield. Only cost 5-6 hundred to repair.
About 7 months ago I crashed my 09 Wee on the RHS. I was still able to ride it to the next town with a hospital. I posted pics in the Australian section of this forum under the heading "Oops".
The damage was cosmetic, but the insurance bill was almost $4000. Labour component only about 5 hours to unbolt broken bits and replace. Just as I was about to collect mine they discovered a dent in the tank under the RHS cowling, so had to wait for new tank, the side cowling was on back order for some time.

It's difficult to see the damage on the bike in the pics.

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
Any picks of the left side

WHere it slid into the poll etc.

Could even be a repro or shipping damage but you won't win the auction anyway

·
Premium Member
3,207 Posts
Better be VERY familiar with your state's DMV rules concerning "Salvage" titles and what it takes to get them to "Rebuilt" status. In Alabama, it's a PITA and not worth it.......LOTS of red tape, paperwork, and $$$. :argue:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't see any damage either, which is more worrying than seeing minor damage. As for the salvage laws, I know them very well as I used to buy and rebuild salvage cars for a living. As for winning the auction, it is only open to licenced dealers (which I am), not the public so maybe I have a chance.

Mitch

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
All the damage pics and info are right there on the website. Fairly substantial left side damage. Not sure why you couldn't see it. :confused:

·
Registered
317 Posts
You didn't have the left side pics with img tags, so they weren't showing. I fixed that below.

The damage doesn't look too bad at all. Probably totally rideable like that but they are so far out, its really hard to tell if there's anything more seriousness. My guess there is a scrape/gouge on the frame somewhere. That's one main reason they will quickly total a bike. They really do total bikes for almost nothing these days. I really doubt it will go for as low as $2500 though. Probably more in the $3k+ range, but if the damage is that little, it would still be worth it.

Definitely check your laws. GA isn't bad to get a bike rebuilt and my wife and I bought a 2008 Ninja 650R with 1k miles that just has cosmetic/plastic scrapes and needed a new tail piece. That was it.

This 2011 is up for sale this week at a salvage auction in Portland. The damageis listed as "side" but it looks all there to me. Was thinking about bidding $2500 and taking my chances. Any thoughts? Will have to ship it to NY so I figure my total investment would be $3000. Has 900 miles on it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Definitely check your laws. GA isn't bad to get a bike rebuilt and my wife and I bought a 2008 Ninja 650R with 1k miles that just has cosmetic/plastic scrapes and needed a new tail piece. That was it.
In NY you just have to have receipts for any parts used in the rebuild and bring it to a DMV garage for an inspection to check that it's not a tag job.(putting the vin tags from a wrecked bike on a stolen bike)

Mitch

·
Registered
317 Posts
In NY you just have to have receipts for any parts used in the rebuild and bring it to a DMV garage for an inspection to check that it's not a tag job.(putting the vin tags from a wrecked bike on a stolen bike)

Mitch
That's about the extent in GA. They spent less than 30 seconds looking at the bike. Most of it was just reading over the paperwork making sure it was filed out correctly.

·
Premium Member
3,207 Posts
Not to thread-jack, but in Alabama (from what I understand), you must have a "Alabama Licensed Rebuilder" sign off all the paperwork saying he takes responsibility of the frame being straight, nothing bent, yadda, yadda..........big liability issues. The average "Joe" cannot get the bike Title changed to "Rebuilt" status even if the bike looks new to DMV.......the Licensed guy must get involved........which costs some $$$.......time.......etc.

Like I said, a royal PITA in Alabama.............

·
Registered
371 Posts
Only thing I can see is the left cowling looks to be scratched up really good... a salvaged car is one thing but a motorcycle has way less margin for error. Besides resale value on a rebuilt/salvaged title is typically not good anyway. Unless you are cool with resale value being low... go for it!

My buddy downed his CBR600 and all it did was hit a crub, break the fairing and a few other cosmetic things... bike was totalled out by the dealer he bought it back fixed it himself and got a new title issued... do what you like but I myself would rahter pay for piece of mind....

·
Registered
488 Posts
I would go for it!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Besides resale value on a rebuilt/salvaged title is typically not good anyway. Unless you are cool with resale value being low... go for it!

don't care about resale value, by the time I want to get rid of it, it will have 100k and lots more scratches on it and it won't matter!

Mitch

·
Registered
317 Posts
don't care about resale value, by the time I want to get rid of it, it will have 100k and lots more scratches on it and it won't matter!

Mitch
Well then it should work great for you.

Please keep us informed on how the auction goes. I'd be interested in hearing what it ends up going for.

If it was me, I'd jump on it, especially if a few scratches don't bother you or you know how to fix it pretty cheap.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sad news for me, someone paid around 4k for it with the auction fees. That seems a bit much as you have a salvage title and at least a few $ worth of repairs. OTH if you want an ABS Wee that is not black or grey, there arre not too many choices out there.

Mitch

·
Registered
317 Posts
That's about what I figured it would go for.

It might seem high, but if you didn't mind the scrapped side panel or just covered it in bed liner to hide it, you could have a 2011 Strom with under 1k miles, ABS and the top case for $4k.

Probably not as cheap as some of us think it should gone, but still not bad.

We paid $3300 for our 08 Ninja 650R and then about $300 to have it delivered. All said and done, we had just under $4k in it in 08. My wife put 18k miles on it and we sold it for $2500 and probably could have gotten more. Not many people seemed to mind the rebuilt title at that price.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I was watching this bike too, but decided without me looking at it myself it wasn't worth the risk of a bent frame.

I would have had to pay a broker to bid for me and the cost's were just to high.

I figured it was going to be up there in price but didn't figure it would go that high. :jawdrop:

·
Registered
36 Posts
For future reference, I went through this whole process in NY a few years ago. While the process is pretty easy, there are a few things that might turn you off. First is the time frame, I did my paperwork at the beginning of the season (April or May) and didn't get my inspection until September. Depending on where you live it might be a distance to a DMV inspection location, which you would have to trailer it there, unload it, ride it into their garage, then load it back up again. This might be a logistics nightmare if you don't have a friend and a trailer available at the time they schedule you. On the bright side, the resale value wasn't too bad.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
For future reference, I went through this whole process in NY a few years ago. While the process is pretty easy, there are a few things that might turn you off. First is the time frame, I did my paperwork at the beginning of the season (April or May) and didn't get my inspection until September. Depending on where you live it might be a distance to a DMV inspection location, which you would have to trailer it there, unload it, ride it into their garage, then load it back up again. This might be a logistics nightmare if you don't have a friend and a trailer available at the time they schedule you. On the bright side, the resale value wasn't too bad.
Here in NYC the wait is about 1-2 months. I just put my dealer plate on it and ride it to the inspection.

Mitch

1 - 20 of 20 Posts