StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My ‘06 Wee is pushing 12k miles. I like to do my maintenance myself, and I’m thinking the valve clearance should be checked (factory maintenance says 14,700 miles, but I’ll likely roll well past that this summer). Anyone in SLC available nights or Saturdays who’d be willing to walk me through it the first time?

I live in Layton but can trailer anywhere. I’m a handy with a wrench and can follow a shop manual, but I think this would go much faster with a guide/mentor.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I hosted a tech day at my house about 8 years ago and one of the guys did the valve check on my gen 1 1K.
Sadly, I don't remember much about how to do it. If you have a garage I suggest you try the same thing.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
I'll watch and maybe show up to see how its done.
My '07 is close to 60K and it might be time to check>:)
Mike

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do have a garage and don’t mind the idea at all. However given that Vegas Hotwheeler has so many miles on his without the check, well, maybe I’m being paranoid. I’d rather ride than wrench. ;)

·
Registered
14,233 Posts
I had mine checked at 80K and only one exhaust needed a tweek. Mechanic said call him back in 30K miles.
It's best though to have a baseline so if youse boys can find a mentor to show you how it is done, that would be best.
On a recent outing I got a low of 44 mpg into the wind and a high of 58 mpg going over the Sierras at a moderate pace. So I'm guessing things are still OK.

·
Premium Member
2,503 Posts
The VStrom is ok to let go most of the time, but if yours is the 1 of maybe 20 that is out enough to do damage, waiting isn't a good idea. Once the 1st check(Or adjustment) is done then waiting another 50K isn't a big deal.
This opinion comes from having done the check on 30-40 Stroms over the past 11+ years. Only found 1 to be dangerously tight(Could that be yours?). Also found 1 to be over .030" to loose. Ran much better after.
For peace of mind I like to see that 1st check done near the 15K mark.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Sounds like you need to ride to SLC and teach us all :grin2:
Then 2mstone can lead us to a good burger or scones!
I bet Snownut could show us all.
Mike

Mike

The VStrom is ok to let go most of the time, but if yours is the 1 of maybe 20 that is out enough to do damage, waiting isn't a good idea. Once the 1st check(Or adjustment) is done then waiting another 50K isn't a big deal.
This opinion comes from having done the check on 30-40 Stroms over the past 11+ years. Only found 1 to be dangerously tight(Could that be yours?). Also found 1 to be over .030" to loose. Ran much better after.
For peace of mind I like to see that 1st check done near the 15K mark.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts