StromTrooper banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
I wear steel toe boots also. I realize theres probably incidents where people have been mangled by the steel toe, but I believe thats a minority.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have worn steel toe boots on all of my bikes for many years with no problems at all. Safety? Being dragged down the street by your bike? Come on now, its a motorcycle. Ride it and have a ball.
Some one will always find a problem with everything.
I'm an Industrial Hygienist and with what I read everything you do is going to kill or maim you. Motorcycles are unsafe, hell, dangerous even.
Go out and ride!
Wear tennies and see if you feet hurt, try not to fall down.
Yes, I wear ATGATT, but I spent 20 or more years without it and even a fence post at over 100MPH without a helmet is quite survivable while falling off a bicycle can leave you a paraplegic if its not your day (ask my friend in the wheelchair.)
Get out and enjoy! Its a great day and a great bike.
Just my three cents.
bill

·
Registered
142 Posts
I agree with willy, the odds of being dragged down the road by your bike or something heavy enough to crush the steel toe falling on you are remote to say the least. look at some motorcycle accident stats and protect yourself from the most common accidents and quit worring about the random meteor that might fall on you. also, about the boots, why not take the wolverines that fit you so well to a shoe shop and have them resoled, or see if the same company has a similar boot with a different sole? what exactely does a motorcycle specific boot have other than ankle protection, a tall heal to keep your foot planted firmly on the peg, and a shifter pad? lots of boots have tall heals, good hikers have ankle protection, and if you wear a hole in the toe from shifting, you can buy another pair,(unless you paid $675 for them). in which case you can take it to the shoe shop.

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
13/5E
I gave up on M/C specific boots. I won't pay as much for a pair of boots as for a motorcycle.
Slip on Wolverines were the best I could find. I also have a pair of Mark's Work Wearhouse over the ankle specials for when it's too hot for the Wolverines.
fred

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
13/5E
I gave up on M/C specific boots. I won't pay as much for a pair of boots as for a motorcycle.
Slip on Wolverines were the best I could find. I also have a pair of Mark's Work Wearhouse over the ankle specials for when it's too hot for the Wolverines.
fred
Amen! I just ordered Wolverine Wellingtons, Safety Toe and Soft Toe. I'll see which ones I feel more comfortable wearing.

I'll use the Wolverines until I can have a pair of M/C specific boot built.

I don't even care about the price at this point. The issue for me is that all of the European boots have all the safety features but don't fit MY American feet and some of the American boots fit my feet but do not offer any safety features.

Now I'm on a rant!

I live in a Harley town. When I go to a local boot retailer and tell them that I'm looking for Motorcycle Boots they immediately take me over to the Logging Boot section of the store. I don't want Logging Boots, I want Motorcycle Boots. I want ankle protection and shin protection! I don't want a boot with an outsole that is 1.25" thick. I need to stick my toe down to move the shift lever. I want boots to fit size 8 EEEEEE.

Even the local shoemaker(yes, there is only one in our area) thinks that he should cater only to diabetics. No knock on diabetics, my son is a Type I diabetic. Quote from the shoemaker: " You shouldn't be riding a motorcycle anyway!"

Jeez, Give me a break, my wide feet have provided me with a nice stable foundation for my body for the last 47 years!

Eric

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
I'm asking this because none of the motorcycle specific boots that I tried had safety toes.
If by safety toes you mean steel toe caps in the boot there is a very good reason why bike boots don't have them. You will freeze your toes off in anything cooler than Florida mid summer temperatures.
Trust me, been there done that (but I have managed to retain all my toes).

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
If by safety toes you mean steel toe caps in the boot there is a very good reason why bike boots don't have them. You will freeze your toes off in anything cooler than Florida mid summer temperatures.
Thank you for that response. I never considered to temperature factor.

Eric

·
Registered
225 Posts
I agree with willy, the odds of being dragged down the road by your bike or something heavy enough to crush the steel toe falling on you are remote to say the least. look at some motorcycle accident stats and protect yourself from the most common accidents and quit worring about the random meteor that might fall on you.
The "toe getting caught and dragging you down the road" sounds like a rumor started by someone who mistakenly thought the steel toe was mounted on the OUTSIDE of the boot. The only way an internal steel cap is getting caught on anything is if it has already punctured the boot... then it might get caught in the leather anyway!

-Russ

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
There is a defference in steel caps and steel toes, steel caps can collapse a lot easier then steel toes.

Buy a good pair of work boots and take them to a shoe shop and have an extra layer of leather put on the left shoe where the shifter hits it, if you are concerned about looks have them do it to both shoes.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Freezing steel toes

I'm not sure what kind of temperature variations you're experiencing between pegs and seat down under, but here in the Great White North I regularly ride in sub-zero C temperatures with steel toed boots on (I wear them all winter for just about everything else too). For mucking about with my kids in the snow I switch to Sorel pac boots though.

I usually wear two pairs of socks with the steel toed boots, more for fit and cushion than for insulation, and if the weather report says it's going to be really cold I have some of the battery heated socks I sometimes wear. I've yet to experience frozen toes from the steel toes.

If you're concerned about that though, some safety boots now use Kevlar and CF instead of steel plates, neither of which are particular good conductors.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Red Wings vs Roadgear boots

Hi,
I wore Redwings laceup steel toe. Excellent boot. Perfect fit. Excellent price on Ebay. I was very happy. Hot in the summer. Ok In the winter.
I now wear roadgear boots.....much lighter, more support(I think)....best part water proof. Excellent in cooler temps. Very good in the summer.
Roadgear boots: I wear some coconut fiber socks. I bought them at a bike show.
Redwings Boots: I wore all cotton socks. Thicker in the winter somewhat thinner in the Summer.
I'm 51, I embraced riding gear all year round 3 years ago. You get older your perspective on safety changes dramatically.
10 years ago I didn't like riding in the rain now it's no big deal except for washing the crud off the bike.

Les

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have a wide foot, but not as wide as the OP, plus a super high arch, plantar fasciitis and heel spurs. I have yet to find a motorcycle boot that is comfortable.

I usually wear a 6-8" good quality hiking boot that is leather and has the benefit of Gore-Tex. Currently LL Bean Cresta boots .but has been Wolverines or other Bean boots.

I would like to have the ankle armor but I don't worry about it either. Hiking boots are generally comfortable for walking also, unlike most motorcycle boots.

Wear the best thing that you can get that will fit your feet.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
I have a wide foot, but not as wide as the OP, plus a super high arch, plantar fasciitis and heel spurs. I have yet to find a motorcycle boot that is comfortable.

I usually wear a 6-8" good quality hiking boot that is leather and has the benefit of Gore-Tex. Currently LL Bean Cresta boots .but has been Wolverines or other Bean boots.

I would like to have the ankle armor but I don't worry about it either. Hiking boots are generally comfortable for walking also, unlike most motorcycle boots.

Wear the best thing that you can get that will fit your feet.
I also have the wide feet, high arch, plantar fasciitis and heel spurs along with gout. I get times when I can barely walk. The number 1 thing that helped me was Adventuretechs peg lowering kit, this relieved the pressure on my foot. The number 2 was the only motorcycle specific boot I've found that I REALLY like and that's the Alpinestars Corozal
Link

They are awesome on my V-Strom but brutal on my cruiser. I actually found I wound up wearing Blundstones on the cruiser which had no protection so I switched to some TCX Goretex riding shoes which have next to no protection. I have a really good pair of hiking boots (Keen fits me very well) so I think I may try them out next year, I suspect they would offer more crash protection then my TCX riding shoes despite them being motorcycle specific.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
another custom manufacturer who quoted a price of $675 for a pair of m/c specific boots.
wait time is approximately 16 weeks!! Riding season may be over by that time!
I do have one pair of Wolverine work/hiking boots that fit.
The soles are too thick and make my knees feel too high
I will order another pair of Wolverine's that offer more leather in the ankle area than my hiking/work boots. A 10" boot as opposed to a 6" boot.
Advise or input?
Working backwards from the $675 / 16 weeks solution: You could consider taking your comfy Wolverine boots to a cobbler. Get thinner soles. You could also bring him a pair of $100 MX boots to cut up and overlap the uppers to your Wolverines. This might seem a bit radical but when you get down to it, all boots are made.

I couldn't find it just now but I remember reading from an ER data file that motorcycle foot injuries are mostly to the achilles and crushed ankles.

·
Registered
235 Posts
After reading all of the above, I'm weighing in with what works for ME....
Off road I used to wear Top Gear boots... (yeah, I'm That old).
Now I wear $ 258.00 a pair slip on Ariat composite toe work boots that I also wear stomping concrete floors as a machinist 10 hours a day.
I get 3+ years out of 'em (w/ inner sole replacements every 6 months or so).
Happy feet, happy body = Happy life!!!

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
Look for army surplus boots. They often have toe protection but it's not metallic (Metal sets off landmines) and the army has to cater for all sorts of feet.

I used army surplus boots for years, the only reason I don't still is that the DL1000 eats the inside heel out so I changed to a bike boot with a plastic shoe box instead.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I use the Bates composite toe "cop" boots.
Plastic toe offers protection, shouldn't cut off toes when crushed, not cold (it's less conductive plastic), 8" (protects more of shin), available in wide which I need, comfortable when broken in, mostly leather upper, look good (don't stand out too much at work under chinos), costs <$100, side zip (easy on/off), free for me (work pays for a new pair 1X/year so the older ones get cycle duty), warm enough down to 45 deg F (albeit too warm in summer but I tough it out), not a hiking boot but plenty of ankle support and can do fine on a trail (don't need to bring along hiking boots when motorcycle camping-1 less thing taking up room in cases).
I use them with Outdoor Research gaiters on long trips for added protection and keeps cold air off of ankles when temps drop

·
Registered
472 Posts
RedWing
I don't have motorcycle specidic boots. I wear a set of dickies steel toes when it is warm and keen hiking boots for cold. Both are 3/4 height. My ankles are skinny and calves are big, makes it hard to wear tall boots.
10-4 on the Keens. I got an insulated pair at REI Co-op with a Christmas gift card. They fit very well, waterproof and broke in quickly. Hike like moccasins with arch support. I have some Red Wing composite toe 6" boots for the semi, some ancient Alpinestars that have been resoled once 7-8? years ago. I walked all over Greenfield Village and The Henry Ford Museum in 2017 in them; not comfortable, but not painful either. The rip-stick closures are pretty weak now and I'll probably get some Alpinestars Belize or Compeche boots soonest. I hope to try on one or both at the MC Show coming up. My A-Stars have remained relatively comfortable and proven long lasting. and have stayed completely waterproof. They will get my business again.

@apexeric, Another reason I want the Belize or Compeche's is the steel shank for standing on the pegs. My current A-Stars don't have them, my Red Wings do and are more comfortable in that setting.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts