StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a month ago I posted two threads titled 1)Boot Question and 2) Boot Question Revisited.

My main question was that I was looking for a motorcycle specific boot to fit my 8.5 6E feet.

I received many, many, many suggestions. Thank you to all who replied!

I also tried many, many, many different boots. I tried Sidi Mega Way, Oxtar, Daytona, Chippewa Rally(my personal favorites), Red Wing and Diadora. I tried every width and length combination possible. None of them fit and all of them left my right foot aching and sore for days. Even if I wore them for 5-10 minutes.

I found two custom boot manufacturers. Bates Custom Leather in California and Russell Moccasin in Wisconsin.

Bates refered me to another custom manufacturer who quoted a price of $675 for a pair of m/c specific boots.

Russell was kind enough to send out a sample pair of shoes to try on for size. They did not fit. Russell will, however, make a last for my feet for a true custom fit but the wait time is approximately 16 weeks!! Riding season may be over by that time!

I have not ridden my '08 Flat Black 650 since this boot fit issue occured about a month ago. It's just sitting there in my garage.:(

I will order one of these custom boots but here is my issue: I need a pair of boots to get me through the waiting period.

I do have one pair of Wolverine work/hiking boots that fit. I do not know why these boots fit and no other boots do not fit - nor do I care at this point. They fit the moment that I put them on my feet.

These Wolverine hiking/work boots are not motorcycle specific boots. I don't like wearing them to ride anyway. The soles are too thick and make my knees feel too high when I do ride with them. This in turn changes the position of my butt on the seat. I know that the custom saddle is next!

I will order another pair of Wolverine's that offer more leather in the ankle area than my hiking/work boots. A 10" boot as opposed to a 6" boot.

Is there any advantage to ordering Wolverine boots with Safety Toes? Is some protection better than none?

I'm asking this because none of the motorcycle specific boots that I tried had safety toes.

Advise or input?

Thank you,

Eric

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I had some red wings with a steel toe. As it turned out, the shifter would move on the boot right over the point where the steel toe ended. The effect was that the leather wore through along the metal cup.

The steel toe also reduces the amount of "feel" you have with the shifter. I think my shifting has improved since I switched boots.

Steel toe boots are probably fine if you have a heel shifter. I won't be spending my money on another pair of steel toed riding boots.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Order the custom built jobs now for next year.

Lace up what cha got and go for a ride. Nothing clears my head better.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
steel toes

Apparently in an accident the steel toe might get caught on some bike part and drag you down the road attached. But than again I suppose the strap on my full face helmet could get caught and do the same thing.
I expect that the toe won't fit well under the shifter. My comfy 10inch waterproof non-motorcycle boots from Marks Work Wearhouse worg great but would have a hole from the shifter by now with out the liberal patch of "Shoe Goo." Great product.

·
Registered
5,969 Posts
Not certain

Watched 'Dirty Jobs' a while back, and Mike was leading a team of draft horses. He was told NOT to wear steel toe shoes, since a horse of that size stepping on your foot will collapse the steel toe and cut off your toes. Evidently less damage if it steps on a soft toe boot. Perhaps something similar when riding: If you get tossed off and manage to land a particularly bad way, the hard edge of the steel toe may do unpleasant things to your foot.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds Right

Watched 'Dirty Jobs' a while back, and Mike was leading a team of draft horses. He was told NOT to wear steel toe shoes, since a horse of that size stepping on your foot will collapse the steel toe and cut off your toes. Evidently less damage if it steps on a soft toe boot. Perhaps something similar when riding: If you get tossed off and manage to land a particularly bad way, the hard edge of the steel toe may do unpleasant things to your foot.
I remember reading something to the same effect.

Eric

·
Registered
478 Posts
I'm sure I'm not in the majority, but my daily round trip is 80 miles, and I ride it in Nike's. I've tried 2 pairs or Sidi's, and hated the feel. If I'm going on a moto-specific trip, I have a pair of BMW boots that are the cat's meow, but don't wear them to work as I don't want to ruin them.

One tip to riding in "shoe Lace" shoes - tuck the laces in to the side of the shoe, you don't want the lace hoop catching on the shifter or brake pedal as you are coming to a stop or dismounting.

If it's a safety issue, I guess I'm just not there... I wear a helmet and a first gear jacket with spine, elbows, and shoulders, to me that protects the most relevant core.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm sure I'm not in the majority, but my daily round trip is 80 miles, and I ride it in Nike's. I've tried 2 pairs or Sidi's, and hated the feel. If I'm going on a moto-specific trip, I have a pair of BMW boots that are the cat's meow, but don't wear them to work as I don't want to ruin them.

One tip to riding in "shoe Lace" shoes - tuck the laces in to the side of the shoe, you don't want the lace hoop catching on the shifter or brake pedal as you are coming to a stop or dismounting.

If it's a safety issue, I guess I'm just not there... I wear a helmet and a first gear jacket with spine, elbows, and shoulders, to me that protects the most relevant core.
The guys that I ride with bust my chops because I say that "Boots are Helmets for Your Feet".

Call me a worry wart. I just don't feel like messing up me feet. They hurt already, I don't need any extra trauma.

Eric

·
Registered
103 Posts
Eric, Where are you from in nepa, I would be glad to add some miles to your bike while you are waiting for your boots. Seriously, I have tried all types of m/c and non m/c boots, Nike or Skecher work boots work best for me. +1 on tucking in your laces.

Art

·
Registered
273 Posts
Since you're looking at all your options and haven't yet found a solution, have a look at "uniform" boots. My favourite boots are boots that the local paramedics wear. Waterproof, lace-up high boots - tied laces are always up under my pants - with a composite (read plastic) reinforced toe. Thicker Vibram-type sole but I have no problem with my shifter, or with catching them on my Fastaway pegs. Wore a similar pair during a previous get-off and was glad for the extra toe protection, as I ground the toe down to the composite. There's lots of other interesting uniform boots out there - find a store that supplies them and look thru their inventory.

I would stay far away from unprotective recreational shoes like Nikes. I've seen what a ground down ankle bone looks like after a slide on the asphalt. You need leather or at least Cordura all around and up above your ankle. Your work boots sound fine.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I would stay far away from unprotective recreational shoes like Nikes. I've seen what a ground down ankle bone looks like after a slide on the asphalt. You need leather or at least Cordura all around and up above your ankle. Your work boots sound fine.
I can't fully disagree with this advice, but I don't wear my helmet or a 4 point harness in my car, so perhaps I'm lax in my safety precautions.

Having witnessed numerous M/C accidents on my daily 80 commute, I'm very comfortable with the safety precautions I take, not to say there aren't more that can be taken. I guess if I thought the danger was higher than my quick mind and reflex's I'd either not ride, or ride in full race gear. If it comes down to the shoes I wear, it's probably too dangerous. As I said, when I'm on a trip, I wear some good motorcycle boots, but I don't make it a point when I get on the bike, as I do with my helmet, gloves, and coat.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts

Two motorcycle accidents I came across a few weeks apart featured riders with shredded feet. Both had low-sided when cars left turned in front of them. Their running shoes did diddly. In fact, for one of the guys the paramedics had quite a time excising part of the shoe and lace from inside the foot.

As for steel toed boots, I alternate between a pair of six inch high ones and a pair of nine inch high Doc Martens. I have yet to find a pair of road-oriented motorcycle boots worth the exhorbitant price.

I'm afraid I discount any scare stories about steel toes being dangerous around bikes - and for horses too, as my draft horse handling friends all wear them. All of their boots are well beaten up from horses treading on them. Of course you could wear non-steel-toed boots around the draft horses...and let them step on your feet with their steel shoes...

·
Registered
478 Posts
Two motorcycle accidents I came across a few weeks apart featured riders with shredded feet. Both had low-sided when cars left turned in front of them. Their running shoes did diddly. In fact, for one of the guys the paramedics had quite a time excising part of the shoe and lace from inside the foot.

As for steel toed boots, I alternate between a pair of six inch high ones and a pair of nine inch high Doc Martens. I have yet to find a pair of road-oriented motorcycle boots worth the exhorbitant price.

I'm afraid I discount any scare stories about steel toes being dangerous around bikes - and for horses too, as my draft horse handling friends all wear them. All of their boots are well beaten up from horses treading on them. Of course you could wear non-steel-toed boots around the draft horses...and let them step on your feet with their steel shoes...

You've not seen any car accidents with head trauma? Or spine, rib, shoulder, or elbow trauma?

I work for an airline leading gate operations - the plane we fly, which is often moving, weighs about 200,000 lbs with fuel passengers and luggage, the push bar weighs about 800 lbs., the tractor weighs about 100,000 lbs. I'm in it and on it and around it 12 hours a day, 4 days a week, and so far I have all of my extremeties... I worry if I think about it, not just for me, but the 28 peeps I supervise, but in several years have never had an "incident". Every time I get on the bike, I think about the dangers, and try to minimize them. I'm not buying Pampers (yet).

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Eric, Where are you from in nepa, I would be glad to add some miles to your bike while you are waiting for your boots. Seriously, I have tried all types of m/c and non m/c boots, Nike or Skecher work boots work best for me. +1 on tucking in your laces.

Art
Hey Art,

Just as soon as I get this boot thing sorted out I'll send you a PM. I live in Kingston. I'm not riding this weekend because I'm in the Wilkes-Barre Triathlon.

Eric

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
The guys that I ride with bust my chops because I say that "Boots are Helmets for Your Feet".

Call me a worry wart. I just don't feel like messing up me feet. They hurt already, I don't need any extra trauma.

Eric
Dress for the crash not for the ride.

I have some Irish Setter hunting boots which I wear if I'm riding somewhere that requires a lot of walking. They're moderately waterproof at 60 MPH. I had to grind down the front of the heel to make shifting predictable.

They're great in the winter.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
i ride in Red Wing Worx steel toe boots.

i had a minor low side on my KLR when i first got it. minimal damage to the bike and me. except when the bike went down it scraped half the leather off the toe of my right boot. if i hadn't been wearing the steel toes, i'd have a limp now. i've also been hit in the toe by rocks flying off the street.

another benefit of the steel toes is you can pull up to stop lights and put your toes right over the trip wire and you'll trip the light.

as far as crushing them goes, they're rated to 3 or 4 thousand pounds of force before crushing.

safety first...

P.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts