StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just removed the caution/safety decals from the tank on my new bike. I heated them with a hair dryer to soften the adhesive, and they came off with some patience. I used Goo Gone with a microfibre cloth to remove all the adhesive residue. However, the spots where they used to be are somewhat shiny compared to the rest of the matte finish tank panel. I thought it was perhaps stubborn residue, but nope. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
520 Posts
Try some of your favourite non abrasive car wax on the whole panel. I like Turtle Wax but there are many suitable brands. Rub it on with a slightly dampened micro fibre cloth and buff it off with a dry micro fibre cloth in a coolish area out of direct sunlight. On the first attempt don't wait for the wax to dry...may need to repeat a few times.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
The paint was protected un the sticker so it did not see any wear and is shiny by comparison. Give it a few weeks/months its blend in with use. Or get a stick on tank protector and cover it.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Have NEVER understood why manufacturers put those stickers all over the painted tank and fairings.
NO that placement is not required, just look at a Harley or Indian. The legally required decals are smartly placed and don't stick out like a sore thumb.
Can you imagine buying a new car with a warning sticker all over the hood?

Pet peeve of mine Still have off color areas on my Strom where stickers used to be.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Mine were on 11 years on my 09 wee. Used hairdryer/denatured alcohol + utility razor scraper on a handle tool. Left a few scratches because I didn't pay attention. More heat maybe, too late anyway-so be careful-maybe you'll do better. Tank bag covers it so I don't get a constant reminder that I try to go too fast on projects

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Try some of your favourite non abrasive car wax on the whole panel. I like Turtle Wax but there are many suitable brands. Rub it on with a slightly dampened micro fibre cloth and buff it off with a dry micro fibre cloth in a coolish area out of direct sunlight. On the first attempt don't wait for the wax to dry...may need to repeat a few times.
^^^ This ^^^

This worked like a charm! The panel is that sparkly graphite coloured plastic, and it took about 7 or 8 applications, but you can no longer see where the decals were. Thanks, gdrew, for the tip!

Cheers!
K

·
Registered
293 Posts
fyi .... the best way to remove stickers.
Warm the sticker with a heat gun on low, use a plastic razor blade to remove the vinyl.
Next step “Rapid adhesive remover” . follow the direction on the bottle.

rapid adhesive remover is kind of expensive (about a dollar an oz) so try a locale body shop to sell you 1 or 2 oz. for five bucks. Take a plastic bottle with you when you go visit and a five dollar bill.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
fyi .... the best way to remove stickers.
Warm the sticker with a heat gun on low, use a plastic razor blade to remove the vinyl.
Next step “Rapid adhesive remover” . follow the direction on the bottle.

rapid adhesive remover is kind of expensive (about a dollar an oz) so try a locale body shop to sell you 1 or 2 oz. for five bucks. Take a plastic bottle with you when you go visit and a five dollar bill.
I had no problem with the adhesive. I used a hair dryer to soften up the decals then scraped them off. Goo Gone removed the residue. It was the area under the decals that was "shinier" than the surrounding area. The wax applications took care of it.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
While not a silver bullet ... I have had good luck getting the bulk of the adhesive off by heating it, then laying t-shirt material on it and use a roller to mash it down. After it cools, pull off the cloth. In the end you still have to do the other stuff but the most of it pulls off and you haven't spread the goo around into a larger area.

·
Premium Member
1,568 Posts
Well, you're screwed now. You'll never know what's dangerous and what isn't. Warranty voided. Consumer Protection Act violated. You are personally liable for anyone getting hurt due to lack of knowledge of supposed dangers. Vehicle likely to be recalled. What a mess.

DANGER CAUTION WARNING

DO NOT USE THIS PRODUCT

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, you're screwed now. You'll never know what's dangerous and what isn't. Warranty voided. Consumer Protection Act violated. You are personally liable for anyone getting hurt due to lack of knowledge of supposed dangers. Vehicle likely to be recalled. What a mess.

DANGER CAUTION WARNING

DO NOT USE THIS PRODUCT
Well that's just great. What am I supposed to do now? I can't even ride for fear of hurting someone or myself. And how will I know what type of fuel to put in the tank? There really ought to be a forum dedicated to warning decals and their importance. Maybe I'll send a suggestion to the Admins. But first I have to take care of the severe burns on my hands. I just ordered a coffee in the drive-thru and spilled it all over myself. There should be some kind of warning label on the cup that the coffee inside is hot! Oh, wait...:LOL:

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
I have a lot of detailing products, heat gun, Goo Gone, other chemical removers and that was one stubborn sticker they put on my 2017 Vstrom. Probably took 1/2 hour to remove and buff out. The only other safety label that put up such a fight was on the visor on my car.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
The sticker placement, car vs. bike, are apparantly intended to be visible to the driver/operator, hence the sun visor/gas tank. This time around I decided to leave the stickers on forever, in the hopes that people will think I'm a new rider, (just to be messing with their heads).
As for lawyers and liability, the last time I bought a hammer there was a label on the handle: "Caution: Do not strike hand with hammer." I am not making this up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey.......I used a pan of very very very hot water and a rag. Set the hot moist rag on the tank warning decal and try to work it off....repeat as often as needed........comes off very very well...
Good luck dealing with the sticker police, I do watch over my shoulder.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I only had 2 obtrusive warning stickers, one on the tank and one near the tail behind the saddle.
Both came off with gentle use of a heat gun and scraping using fingernail, followed by rubbing alcohol to get the remaining glue off. Took maybe 20 minutes total for both.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Have NEVER understood why manufacturers put those stickers all over the painted tank and fairings.
NO that placement is not required, just look at a Harley or Indian. The legally required decals are smartly placed and don't stick out like a sore thumb.
Can you imagine buying a new car with a warning sticker all over the hood?

Pet peeve of mine Still have off color areas on my Strom where stickers used to be.
Legal requirements

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Well that's just great. What am I supposed to do now? I can't even ride for fear of hurting someone or myself. And how will I know what type of fuel to put in the tank? There really ought to be a forum dedicated to warning decals and their importance. Maybe I'll send a suggestion to the Admins. But first I have to take care of the severe burns on my hands. I just ordered a coffee in the drive-thru and spilled it all over myself. There should be some kind of warning label on the cup that the coffee inside is hot! Oh, wait...:LOL:
Be sure to read the warning on dessicant packs, DONT EAT THEM! Some where a dumb arse at one you know!

·
Registered
260 Posts
WD-40 is the best decal remover in the planet (it may or may not work as chain lube :) _ ...lol
just inpregnated the decals with WD-40 let it rest... lift said decals .. wax and ride :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts