StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A good friend had 3 tires suddenly go flat while riding his Versys, due to valve stem failure. Turns out the valve stems were defective. One tire which was destroyed was replaced under a product safety recall. Seems there have been 2 recalls on valve stems made in China. See the links for further info.

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/daily-news/080905-Tire-Valve-Stem-Recall-Could-Affect-30-Million-Cars/

http://www.aftermarketnews.com/Item/38075/another_valve_stem_recall_launched.aspx

The short story is the recalled stems lacked additive to resist ozone in the rubber batch and will develop cracks prematurely.

Visually inspect your valve stems for premature cracking. One person was reported killed in a rollover of an SUV directly attributed to these valve stems.

·
Rjsurfer
539 Posts
The RV industry has been plagued by lousy Chinese rubber for years their ST tires and valve stems are so bad they call them May-Pops.

I have Chinese tires on my RV and I watch them like a hawk, I use 303 UV Protectent on them once a month.

Ron W.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
I had metal right angle valve stems put on my DL last tire change.
That was $ I don't regret spending - life becomes so much easier.

Pete

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My friend with the Versys put in metal stems in frustration. If I'd been him with his lousy luck I'd have done the same.:mod2_smartass:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The 2nd link is for a second alert. There were apparently two. Don't know which one you reported. The recalls aren't new, but occurance of failed valve stems is continuing and is a current hazard per what happened to my friend.

Defective valve stems are still out there causing problems today. I don't think it's a mistake to let people know about something that can potentially kill them, even if it was reported a year ago.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
The recall notice that I got from Discount Tire was only 2-3 months ago. Obviously, this is still a current issue.

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
#@@*$$)@ Chi-Comms :devil_13: - the ones they don't get with lead-based paint or tainted food, they'll get with defective valve stems. Already had to replace one on my Expedition, the rest are getting changed at winter tire change-over time.. ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts