StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to remove the fairing, instrument panel, and headlights from the Turtle last night because there was so much water stuck inside the headlights that they bulbs blew out.

I really like the look and was wondering if it is safe to start the engine without the entire front cowling attached? I wish there was a easy quick connect for a headlight/dash assembly. I have never welded anything and I have no real tools for fabricating a scaled down/lean front dash assembly but I love the lean-strom look.

I will try to pick up some light bulbs today and reassemble for the great weekend weather that we are being promised.

·
Registered
858 Posts
i can't imagine why it would be damaging to the motor to start.. just make sure that all the electrical plugs are dry and clear of conducting material.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
In stock condition, the whole front end comes off very easily. Once the side cowlings are off, there is just one electrical connector inside the fairing and two bolts holding the fairing frame to the main frame. Getting the cowlings off is included in Fuel Tank Removal How to, 650 & 1000
Except for the turn signal connectors that require lifting the clip to separate them, the other connectors require pressing the clip.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
You can start and ride your V-Strom with the "Big Plug" disconnected inside the cowlings.

In 2010, I too got water inside my instrument cluster. It shorted out and no longer worked. While I did research as to what I wanted to replace it with, (The stock cluster was just too expensive for me to purchase), I rode my bike with nothing plugged in up front.

Here is a short video of what I replaced my OEM instrument cluster with.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I intend to re-install everything because I don't have the tools to fabricate anything else. I would love to find a bolt on shield that could plug up the stock harness and present a small instrument cluster with a head light, but I know I'm dreaming. Maybe someday...I have looked at ebay to see that someone is selling the front mounting bracket that would provide me with a bolt up frame to work on...just another crazy idea. :beatnik:

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
missing one connector

In stock condition, the whole front end comes off very easily. Once the side cowlings are off, there is just one electrical connector inside the fairing and two bolts holding the fairing frame to the main frame. Getting the cowlings off is included in Fuel Tank Removal How to, 650 & 1000
Except for the turn signal connectors that require lifting the clip to separate them, the other connectors require pressing the clip.

GW - there seems to be one extra connector coupled to a wire harness that threads through !!!! the front cowling support frame - grrr

I thinks its what they refer to as "speedometer lead wire coupler" (6) on p7-6 of the manual for my 2007 Wee. How they expect me to disconnect it is quite beyond me right this minute.

Any suggestions?

·
38,104 Posts
That is the connection between the fairing wiring harness and the instrument panel. If you take off the fairing, all that comes with it.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
not quite

That is the connection between the fairing wiring harness and the instrument panel. If you take off the fairing, all that comes with it.
The wire loom leading to this connector in my DL650A goes through the front cowl support frame - so I was not able to remove the cowl at all until I figured out how to separate the instrument cluster's cowl from the main headlight cowling, which then gave me decent access to separate the connector plug and socket - this whole process was a royal PITA

rereading Stromtrooper posts and seeing your info on the connector helped me reach goal :)

·
38,104 Posts
The large connector in the left cowling should separate so all the wiring on the fairing side stays with the fairing and all the wiring on the other side stays with the bike. With side cowlings removed and in stock condition, separating the connector and removing the two bolts holding the fairing frame to the main frame should be all that is required to take the fairing off.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
well thats true

The large connector in the left cowling should separate so all the wiring on the fairing side stays with the fairing and all the wiring on the other side stays with the bike. With side cowlings removed and in stock condition, separating the connector and removing the two bolts holding the fairing frame to the main frame should be all that is required to take the fairing off.
Its my first time doing this, I was trying to take things apart one by one, and as it happens, I do need to disassemble things to swap plastics but keep my ABS instrument cluster on its parent bike.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts