StromTrooper banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I’m experiencing the classic coolant leak from a hose in between my pistons. I’ve seen a lot of people dealing with the same thing on here, and I had a couple questions. I’m pretty sure I’ll have to replace the O-ring, as the leak seems to be coming from the fitment into the piston- and possibly the hose as well. is it dangerous to drive the bike? I work at a Suzuki dealer so getting the parts Won’t be an issue, but it’s a hefty commute from my house and I wanna know if I’m gonna be damaging the bike further if I run it with the leak, as long as I still have coolant in the bike. any way to bandaid it? i just turned off my bike and it started dumping coolant lmao

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I'd be concerned with anything that could be described as "dumping" coolant. You could keep topping it up, but the system is pressurized and if air gets into it, you could experience overheating.

Does your dealer have a loaner bike you could use for a while?

·
Registered
07DL1K
251 Posts
Personally I wouldn't feel great about toxic coolant hitting the streets intentionally. However, if you're in a bind and your bike temperature gauge acts normal and you don't run low I would imagine it would be fine--depending on the rate of leak.

Imo there is no band aid fix for this, besides new o rings, hoses, and clamps and since you're in there might as well replace the thermostat. I wonder if anyone here knows of a cheaper equivalent thermostat...the suzuki ones are outrageously expensive.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Personally I wouldn't feel great about toxic coolant hitting the streets intentionally. However, if you're in a bind and your bike temperature gauge acts normal and you don't run low I would imagine it would be fine--depending on the rate of leak.

Imo there is no band aid fix for this, besides new o rings, hoses, and clamps and since you're in there might as well replace the thermostat. I wonder if anyone here knows of a cheaper equivalent thermostat...the suzuki ones are outrageously expensive.
i appreciate the thoughts- i got it home and will be able to get it to the dealer soon- cursed be old, cracked rubber!

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
Mine wasn't a giant gush or anything, just an annoying occasional drip, but at least one owner had a pretty sudden, significant blowout that made a mess.

I think most are pretty gradual.

Glad you made it!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mine wasn't a giant gush or anything, just an annoying occasional drip, but at least one owner had a pretty sudden, significant blowout that made a mess.

I think most are pretty gradual.

Glad you made it!
cheers man - mine was an annoying drip for some time, but extremely intermittent, so I had thought that it may have resolved itself, as coolant can harden and seal upon itself- til now which was a sudden blowout- I've ordered the new hoses, o-rings and clamps, so heres to hoping that the parts shortage isn't going to ruin this for me

1 - 7 of 7 Posts