StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 Vee2 that I am going to be installing a Fuzeblock FZ-1 or a Denali Powerhub2 on this spring.

My question is this: I want to have an SAE plug hanging / accessible without removing the seat, and I am unsure of the best way to go about this.
It will primarily be used to provide power to my BestRest Cycle Pump; so can I just cut an SAE plug and 18" of wire off an existing device and wire it into a 10a fuse on the fuse block?...or purchase the Eastern Beaver SAE with 48" leads and likewise wire it to a 10a fuse on the fuse block?

I guess my real question is: is it really that simple? :jawdrop:

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts
Just make sure the exposed contact is the ground contact rather than the hot. Consider a connector that has an attached but removable cover.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just make sure the exposed contact is the ground contact rather than the hot. Consider a connector that has an attached but removable cover.
Excellent point :yesnod:

Thanks greywolf

·
Registered
4,817 Posts
At one time I had a marine 12V outlet attached to the rear of the frame, just under the rider's seat. I built a water resistant housing for it out of PVC pipe and zip tied it to the frame. It was independently fused and wired directly to the battery and always hot, but could just as easily be wired into a fuse block. I made it for the same reason as you: to provide power to an air compressor. You could use the same concept, only instead of a cigarette lighter style plug, you could make the housing more like a waterproof storage container and coil the SAE plug inside the container. That would protect the SAE plug so it isn't hanging loose.

Here's a link to the project I did: http://www.stromtrooper.com/members/41909-rcinnc-albums-12-volt-receptacle.html

Attachments

·
Registered
468 Posts
I have a battery tender cable (SAE) that I soldered some extension wires to so that it would reach from one of the "always on" connection on my FuzeBlock power distribution box under the seat up to the front right corner of the gas tank.

I use that cable to power the electronic gizmos in my tank bag (Starcom1, Radar Detector, Cell phone changer, etc.) while riding. When not riding I just unplug that one cable and it is then available for it's intended use (battery tending) or else to power my Slime 12V air compressor, in the event of a need for tire plugging out on the road.

Those SAE connection is pretty rugged and not as susceptible to flakiness when wet as some other connector types.

·
Premium Member
1,929 Posts
On all my bikes I have a heavy duty SAE connector hooked directly to the battery and coming out under the seat. They have 10 ga wire. I got them at Princess Auto (Harbor Freight). I use them to hook up my battery tenders and plug a compressor in. I have found that the normal trailer SAE connectors get really hot if the compressor runs for a long time (18ga wire). Added feature of the 10 ga wire ones is that I can hook jumper cables to them so I dont have to remove the seat or worry about melting wires.

Rod

·
Super Moderator
4,615 Posts
On all my bikes I have a heavy duty SAE connector hooked directly to the battery and coming out under the seat. They have 10 ga wire.
I'll have to have a look for them at my local auto parts stores. I've just been using the one I get from a local electronic parts store.

To answer the OP, I have the SAE connector just hanging down from under the seat on my XJR and had the same on the Wee. I have an in-line fuse and, as GW said, the exposed pin is the negative lead. The other half of the plug has been soldered to the wires of my battery tender (after I cut off the clips).

I got another SAE connector and soldered it to the cut off clips. So now, if needs be, I can plug the clips back on and charge a battery by going straight onto the battery terminals.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On all my bikes I have a heavy duty SAE connector hooked directly to the battery and coming out under the seat. They have 10 ga wire. I got them at Princess Auto (Harbor Freight). I use them to hook up my battery tenders and plug a compressor in. I have found that the normal trailer SAE connectors get really hot if the compressor runs for a long time (18ga wire). Added feature of the 10 ga wire ones is that I can hook jumper cables to them so I dont have to remove the seat or worry about melting wires.

Rod
I looked for something like that at Princess Auto in Ottawa this evening with no luck. There was an SAE-to-SAE short extension, about 18" long - of 10ga wire - but no SAE-to-terminal-rings. I will pick up the search again tomorrow, starting at Total Battery.

·
Super Moderator
4,615 Posts
I looked for something like that at Princess Auto in Ottawa this evening with no luck. There was an SAE-to-SAE short extension, about 18" long - of 10ga wire - but no SAE-to-terminal-rings. I will pick up the search again tomorrow, starting at Total Battery.
Cut it in half, put loops on one end, the other half of the double ended lead gets soldered to your battery tender leads.

·
Premium Member
1,929 Posts
Yeah, I should have mentioned that the SAE ones I found were double ended. I just cut the one end off and soldered on loops to connect to the battery. If you have trouble finding heavy gauge wire ones you might try your local RV parts place. They usually have them.

Rod

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How about this one? You can either solder or crimp connect your own terminal rings to it. Every SAE connector I've ever seen just comes as a short loop; you cut the loop and then splice them onto whatever length of wire you need.

2-CONDUCTOR WATERPROOF CONNECTOR, AWG 10 | All Electronics Corp.
That is pretty much what I am looking for RCinNC - except I am looking for one with an attached rubber boot / cover to protect the SAE end from the elements. I found several on various motorcycle supply websites, but the shipping is 4 X the cost of the item - hence my hopes to find something locally at an auto parts store.

·
Registered
4,817 Posts
That is pretty much what I am looking for RCinNC - except I am looking for one with an attached rubber boot / cover to protect the SAE end from the elements. I found several on various motorcycle supply websites, but the shipping is 4 X the cost of the item - hence my hopes to find something locally at an auto parts store.
I had one I used as a connector to a powered tank bag, and I made a boot for it out of an old bicycle innertube and some contact cement. Worked like a charm. Make a tube out of the innertube that fits tight around the connector, glue the edge (kind of like rolling a cigarette), then glue the end shut. I used another strip of the innertube to make a lanyard to attach it to the connector so it didn't get lost. I would use a rubber band around the tube to make a totally waterproof seal.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I should have done this first...

Thanks for all of the tips and advice 'mates. I should have at least exhausted the obvious before asking for help :confused:

I found exactly what I was looking for at a local dealership.

SAE Connector for ADV photo SAE Connector.jpghttp://" media="(max-width: 640px)"> SAE Connector for ADV photo SAE Connector.jpghttp://" media="(max-width: 960px)"> SAE Connector for ADV photo SAE Connector.jpghttp://" media="(max-width: 1920px)">

1 - 15 of 15 Posts