StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://ironbutt.com/ridecerts/getdocument.cfm?DocID=8
Yes, I completely get that it's not for everyone. I did the 1000 mile version of the Saddlesore a few years back on a Harley. Really enjoying the 650 V-Strom (I refuse to call it a Glee) so far. Not a whole lot more I feel like I can do to the bike to get it ready for a trip like this. Weather is looking almost perfect for this weekend coming up. I'm in NC. Planning to ride to Texarkana, TX to pick up a 6-pack of Coors (think "Smokey And The Bandit") and come back in under 48 hours. Should be a little over 2,100 miles round trip. Heading out there along the hwy 40 route, coming back I-20 route, a little further south. I'm 90% doing it for the challenge. Not even sure I'll complete it. Bringing a few layers of clothes, 2 helmet visors, lots of water/gatorade, protein bars, beef jerky, ibuprofen, cell phone, tire-plug kit, extra gas, etc. Wish me luck! :cheers2:

·
Registered
463 Posts
good thing about this bike, you can leave the extra gas at home! Hell, with an easy 250 miles per tank, you shouldn't have anything to worry about. :cheers2:

Good luck, have fun!

·
Premium Member
1,929 Posts
West bound and down, loaded up and biken, we gonna do what they say can't be done. We got a long way to go and a short time to get there, I'm west bound just watch ole Vstrom run. :thumbup:

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Packed and ready. Just have to throw some drinks in the cooler on the back of the bike in the morning and head out.
Planning to take the top half of this route out to TX and the bottom half back to NC. :fineprint:

·
Registered
818 Posts
I'll never 'get it' but God speed and gidderdun!

·
Registered
831 Posts
protein bars, beef jerky
Redundant. Pack a few apples in lieu of the jerky. The apples are healthier and less thirst-provoking. Don't underestimate how easy it is to exhaust your water ration. Trust me on this.

Good luck, and safe riding.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Redundant. Pack a few apples in lieu of the jerky. The apples are healthier and less thirst-provoking. Don't underestimate how easy it is to exhaust your water ration. Trust me on this.

Good luck, and safe riding.
It's what I like to eat. :mrgreen: But thanks for the advice. I have a cooler already strapped to the bike and have frozen about a gallon and a half of Gatorade and about a half gallon of water in the freezer that I'm going to put into the cooler before I take off in the morning. Last time I did the 1000 mile ride I took a Camelback setup and drank maybe 10 oz of water out of it but drank at least a half gallon of juice and water from gas stations when I stopped for gas. I'm positive that having enough to drink is not going to be a limiting factor on this trip. I will be keeping a close eye on the back tire. It has 4866 miles on it so far and looks really good to me but it DOES show signs of wear and I'm not certain it is good for another 2K miles. But I'm about to find out. :yesnod:

·
Registered
15,545 Posts
I did 1375 in 22 hours onest. 2K in 48? you have time for a nap! And meals! Sounds like fun.
Whatever happened to Vegashotwheeler and his 1K?
Mikey, where are you?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Nicely done, Shag!

Once I pick up a Russell Day Long I'm thinking I may try my first SaddleSore 1000. I'm intrigued...

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OK, here are some of the trip details for those of you who might be interested. I went to bed Friday night around 8, knowing I would have trouble sleeping before the trip. Sure enough, I found myself on the road before 2am. I live way out in the country, tons of deer out here, so I took it easy for the roughly 6 mile trip to the closest gas station. Filled up and got the receipt. 1:33 am.

Headed out, still having lots of backroads to cover before reaching the highway. Took it easy... and within the first 20 miles of the trip I saw 4 deer beside the road ready to take me out, one possum that tried to commit suicide by rushing my bike (I missed running over it by literally less than a foot), and one dog that I actually didn't even see, but heard running up towards the road on an intercept course barking its head off trying to get to me. Made it safely to the highway and started making a little time.

I know that when my speedometer says about 65 that I'm actually doing about 60 so when I kept my speed to around an INDICATED 10 mph over the limit which meant I was only doing 4-5 mph over the limit. I did this for MOST of the trip.

So... the route out to TX for me was mostly via hwy 40. The route back was mostly via hwy 20. It was still dark and VERY FOGGY when I crossed over the mountains in western NC and on into TN. I continued on my way, stopping for gas every 200 or so miles. Sun came up, and temperatures reached an indicated 102 degrees according to my bike's thermometer. HOT and MISERABLE. I stopped frequently to drink LOTS of water and gatorade. LOTS of it. Never had to use the bathroom at all on the first day because I sweated so much.

After about 17 or so hours of riding I crossed the border into TX right in Texarkana. :thumbup: I stopped to take a picture of the "welcome to TX sign" and then pulled back into traffic. Within ten seconds a DOWNPOUR of rain began. Lightning striking, wind howling. Welcome to TX! :furious: I waited a few minutes and the rain tapered off some so I began searching for some Coors beer to buy. To make a long story short (and I still don't have all of the details on this) TX is DRY. :yikes: WHAT?!?!? I was told that to buy beer in Texarkana that I would have to buy it on the Arkansas side. There is a road called "State Line Road" (I think that was it) that separates the TX and AR sides of Texarkana. On the AR side of that road they sell alcohol, on the TX side they do NOT. So... I got my receipt from the store on the TX side that told me that since that was the furthest point I was going to travel in my trip and I headed over to the State Line Road to buy my Coors. Got there, bought the beer. Hopped on the bike to head to LA to get a hotel for the night, wanting to get in a few more miles before dark. By the way I had crossed into Central time zone during my trip so it bought me an extra hour of daylight. Before I could get a couple of blocks down the road (State Line Road) some [email protected] who MUST have been drunk and/or high came flying out of the parking lot of one of the booze stores IN A MINIVAN, SMOKING THE TIRES burning out, weaving wildly around like he was absolutely CRAZY. :jawdrop: OMG. All I could think of was "This guy is going to kill someone like ME!" I got the hell away from there in a hurry and "may" have broken a speed law or a law of physics or two doing it.

So I continued on into LA where I found a nice, quiet hotel for the night...

To be continued...

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
So I tossed and turned in bed for several hours, knowing I'd put more than half of the trip behind me, but also knowing I still had a LOT of road ahead of me. Finally I dragged myself out of bed and headed to the gas station next door. Filled up, got my receipt. 3:18 am. YES! Nice early start. And yet... NO. I'd forgotten that I was on Central time while I tossed and turned in bed watching the hotel's clock radio. Ugh... Gassed it and was on the highway heading towards home by 4:30 or so Eastern time. Rode responsibly for a lot of the trip back, and then... there was Atlanta.

By the way, I suck at directions so I used google maps to plan my whole trip and then just followed the GPS on my phone during the trip since I verified in advance that it was giving me the same directions google was.

So I noticed I was about to have to go through Atlanta, but it was a Sunday afternoon, so what could possibly go wrong? Here's what: OK, it started POURING down rain and people started driving like idiots and wrecking all over the place. My phone (that I was using for navigation) got wet and started acting up so I had to pull over and put it in a ziplock back and continue on my way. Traffic slowed down to stop-and-go. Digital signs everywhere telling me that the route I wanted (85N) was moving at about 5-15 mph. While putting along, stop-and-go at one point some IDIOT on the lane to my left tried to come over into my lane. I hit the Stebel horn for at least a 10 second long blast before he FINALLY got the idea that I was in the lane he wanted to be in and he moved back over. :furious: Traffic speed finally started to pick up a little when I came to a fork in the road. It did not tell what each side of the fork was for as far as road numbers, it only told exit numbers. So I had to make a guess and naturally I made the wrong guess. :headbang: I wound up on a toll road with exactly $1 in my wallet. Pretty sure that not only was I on the wrong road but that I was also going the wrong way. Had to pay one 50 cent toll before eventually finding my way back to 85N. I burned about an hour and a half in Atlanta. So I continued on...

I eventually crossed into SC for a very short leg of the trip and I know some won't approve but I removed my helmet during a gas stop for this part of the trip. A little under an hour total of riding with no helmet but it sure felt good for that little while. The skies were looking pretty scary as I crossed the NC/SC border into NC and minutes later ANOTHER DOWNPOUR. Cars were pulling off the side of the road for this one. I pulled over under an overpass and called my wife to let her know what I was up against and what I was thinking about doing. I mean I was right at the 2,000 mile mark already and was thinking of going a little further and stopping for a hotel again instead of riding all the way in. And that's what I wound up doing and it's probably a good thing I did. They lost power at my house from the storm. It was a pretty nasty one. And speaking of nasty...

That hotel I stopped in the last night was a PIT. My own fault. I wanted a cheap place to stay and brother let me tell you I FOUND ONE. To the credit of the hotel, though, I never once did see a single bug of any kind in the hotel. Although I'm pretty sure that it was mice I heard scurrying around in the ceiling during the few hours I stayed there. I showered and put on my last set of dry clothes and went to sleep a couple of hours on top of the blankets in the hotel, worried about my bike being stolen from the parking lot.

The weather cleared up some overnight and I was ready to finish the trip up. I had something like 105-110 miles to go to get home. Packed up the bike and headed out. Dense fog for the first half of the last leg of the trip but then it cleared up pretty decently. At one point on the highway about a half hour from home I approached a minivan from behind in the fast lane. The driver pulled over to let me pass by and I noticed he had handicapped plates. I also noticed he had a fold-up wheelchair in the front passenger seat as his only passenger in the van. It kind of hit me at that moment how lucky I am to be able to do something as stupid as riding a motorcycle halfway across the country and back to pick up a 6-pack of beer and how the next time it pours down rain on my head while I'm out riding my motorcycle I should thank God that I'm out riding my motorcycle in the rain instead of cursing the weather. I got home to my wife and son and dogs and felt like (and still feel like) a VERY LUCKY MAN.

"What a long, strange trip it's been." I'm glad to be home. :yesnod:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts