StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Stromtrooper $upporter
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my arse was killing me after a 400 mile day last weekend. It's time to upgrade. I've had Saddlemen seats before so I rang them up on Monday and scheduled a drop-off of my extra 650 seat for this Thursday (on my way to the Moto GP race). I'm planning a quick consultation, but here's what I'm thinking of asking them to do:

1) Remove the vinyl seat cover and throw out the seat pad. Keep the seat pan.
2) Start fresh with new foam, a little wider in the middle by my thighs (not sure about this), not such a slope between rider and passenger, maybe a little wider where the butt meets the seat. I think I want the seat flatter, if that makes sense.
3) Build it up 2 inches higher than the stock seat.
4) Add a gel insert.
5) Recover with black and carbon fiber covering. Not real carbon fiber, but it looks like it!

They say it'll take a week.

·
Stromtrooper $upporter
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So I just stopped by Saddlemen and tried the seat. It was just the foam, shaped how I asked. They wanted to see the fit and find out if I was happy with the shape before they added the gel and the cover.

So, the new seat is wider and flatter. I've had them take out the "U" shape of the seat somewhat. The seat is now 2" higher, 3/4" wider under my arse, and I sit about 1" further back than the stock. I don't usually ride with a passenger so that's ok with me.

The feel was awesome. I have some support under my thighs, the flatter seat feels better to my bottom, and the strange hump from rider to passenger has been dished out and is more supportive.

And I'm an idiot for not taking pictures while I was there.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
That sounds a lot like what I did to my spare seat.

It's much more comfortable than the stock seat, I have a little more fiddling to do with it before it's done.

Only problem is the flat area I created extends too far rearward and I tend to slide back during acceleration.

·
Stromtrooper $upporter
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Seat Has Arrived!

So I got home last night from the Dodgers game and my new, custom Saddlemen seat was waiting for me inside the front door. So I went out and put it on the bike. This morning I rode to work and noticed an immediate difference. The feel of the new seat was so much better than the stock seat. The 2" of additional height took a few minutes to get used to. I couldn't really get a good impression of the seat since it's only a 4 mile commute to work from my home and the seat isn't broken in yet. I hope to hit the road for a 200 mile or so ride this weekend. And since this thread would be useless without pictures, here they are.

(If you want to see something specific, let me know and I'll take a picture).

Stock seat on the left, new Saddlemen seat on the right.

Saddlemen seat in front, stock in back.

Saddlemen seat installed on the bike.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Wow, is it just me or does his reworked Saddleman seat look just like my OEM Gel seat? Come to think of it, isn't this company known for their gel seats? I think I've had a couple of them for cruisers. Maybe they're the source for the seats? Hope it works well for you. Bucky

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have had the oem gel seat for 24k miles but feeling my knees lately so I took the gel to a local upholstery shop and had them add an inch plus add some ability to move back in the seat (flatten it a bit). essentially ended up with something similar to what you pictured. I haven't put a long day in yet but love the height so far.
deb

·
Stromtrooper $upporter
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have had the oem gel seat for 24k miles but feeling my knees lately so I took the gel to a local upholstery shop and had them add an inch plus add some ability to move back in the seat (flatten it a bit). essentially ended up with something similar to what you pictured. I haven't put a long day in yet but love the height so far.
deb
I put ~260 miles on the seat this past Friday (8/1/08). No issues at all. Was completely comfortable even after being on the bike for 2 hours straight at one point. I couldn't really do that with the stock seat. I'm really happy with how this seat turned out.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
mtnhead....if you don't mind my asking.....how much?

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
Wow, is it just me or does his reworked Saddleman seat look just like my OEM Gel seat? Come to think of it, isn't this company known for their gel seats? I think I've had a couple of them for cruisers. Maybe they're the source for the seats? Hope it works well for you. Bucky
Saddleman is who makes the factory Suzuki gel seats.

·
Premium Member
1,019 Posts
I wonder how close it is to the stock Gel seat? Im looking to get my seat altered, but I have a Gel seat already.

·
Stromtrooper $upporter
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wonder how close it is to the stock Gel seat? Im looking to get my seat altered, but I have a Gel seat already.
It's fairly close although I have to compare from memory since I don't have a factory gel seat sitting around. I did add additional height (2" over stock) and asked for the rider's seat to be pushed back 1". Other than that, it's probably pretty close.

·
Stromtrooper $upporter
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Forgot to ask --> how do want your seat altered?

·
Premium Member
1,019 Posts
In a way that helps me ride for more then 2 hours without regretting it. Does that narrow things down?

The wee is my first bike, so I dont know what would make a more comfortable seat. The only experience I have is the stock, and this Gel seat I got. I just know I want more distance out of my seat, and I dont wanna pay $500 for it.

·
Stromtrooper $upporter
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
In a way that helps me ride for more then 2 hours without regretting it. Does that narrow things down?

The wee is my first bike, so I dont know what would make a more comfortable seat. The only experience I have is the stock, and this Gel seat I got. I just know I want more distance out of my seat, and I dont wanna pay $500 for it.
The changes I made to the stock seat (or actually that Saddlemen did) helped a lot. My trip last Friday was about 6 or so hours and nearly 300 miles. Not a problem at all! I would have been really uncomfortable on the stock seat.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts