StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a set of lockable hard saddlebags capable of stowing a full face helmet. I just bought a 2012 DL650 and had a DL1000 a few bikes ago with the Givi monokey bags which I liked. The OEM bags are $750 USD which I assume includes mounting hardware. Twisted Throttle has brackets for the 2012, but Givi has a bunch of models now - kinds confusing. Of course I want something that minimizes width, but still fits a helmet. Recommendations?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Hey, I just put on the Givi Trekker Luggage (monokey) on my 2012 V-Strom

The mounting brackets I used for that was the:

GIVI SR3101 Rear Plate
GIVI PL3101 Pannier Holder

These are designed for the new 2012 model, but I did find the pannier rack a pain in the ass to fit as the right rack holes did not align to the bike holes by about 4mm, so I had to use a bit of 'man-strength' (lol) to align them.

But now they are fitted, they are perfect! And i'd definately buy them again.

If you are looking for hard side luggage that can hold a helmet then the Givi V35's can! As this video shows: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaYK6gojZNA

To install them you'd need the GIVI PLX3101 Pannier Holder

Hope this helps :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
The 40L Hepco & Becker will hold a large full face helmet. Be cafeful with the Givi V35s though. Whether or not your full face helmet fits depends on what size and make it is. My large Aria fit but my large Schuberth does not. Best to try before you buy if that is possible.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like the look of the V35. Close in price to the OEM bags. The OEM bag has a smaller case on one side to fit the exhaust. Does it tuck tighter than the V35? Any pics of them mounted on a DL650?

·
Banned
1,121 Posts
Hey, I just put on the Givi Trekker Luggage (monokey) on my 2012 V-Strom

The mounting brackets I used for that was the:

GIVI SR3101 Rear Plate
GIVI PL3101 Pannier Holder

These are designed for the new 2012 model, but I did find the pannier rack a pain in the ass to fit as the right rack holes did not align to the bike holes by about 4mm, so I had to use a bit of 'man-strength' (lol) to align them.

But now they are fitted, they are perfect! And i'd definately buy them again.

If you are looking for hard side luggage that can hold a helmet then the Givi V35's can! As this video shows: Givi Luggage Racks and V35 Side Cases on Yamaha FZ6 - YouTube

To install them you'd need the GIVI PLX3101 Pannier Holder

Hope this helps :)
+1 on the Givi Trekker Panniers.:thumbup:

Have the 46 Litre on the non-exhaust side, and the 33 Litre on the exhaust side. This way they look more symmetrical as the Givi pannier frames sit out more on the exhaust side for clearance.

The 46 Litre will easily hold a full face helmet and then some :thumbup:

I used the PLR3101 Rapid Release Frames, as they can be taken on and off in under a minute.

Recommend the Trekker, plus they look awesome! :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
+1 on the Givi Trekker Panniers.:thumbup:

Have the 46 Litre on the non-exhaust side, and the 33 Litre on the exhaust side. This way they look more symmetrical as the Givi pannier frames sit out more on the exhaust side for clearance.

The 46 Litre will easily hold a full face helmet and then some :thumbup:

I used the PLR3101 Rapid Release Frames, as they can be taken on and off in under a minute.

Recommend the Trekker, plus they look awesome! :mrgreen:
Nice looking setup. Do you have a shot from the rear showing the symmetry by chance? I'm thinking about this setup as well, but still not decided on which combination of sizes to get. I know the 33 and 46 can go on the sides or top. What's your top box?

·
Banned
1,121 Posts
Nice looking setup. Do you have a shot from the rear showing the symmetry by chance? I'm thinking about this setup as well, but still not decided on which combination of sizes to get. I know the 33 and 46 can go on the sides or top. What's your top box?
My top case is the 52 Litre Trekker.

I will get some pics from the rear on the weekend for you :yesnod:

·
Administrator
17,101 Posts
Helmets go in a top case not side cases IMHO. :fineprint:

·
Registered
270 Posts
Hi,
I have a 12 Wee adventure and I didn't care for the SW motech aluminium bags. Too weak and questionable waterproofness. Sold them and got Caribou cases. They cost less than Jesse bags, weigh the same and after two drops are proven durable. Minor scratches taken care of with some sandpaper and a torch. If I really F/U the cases the base pelican case can be purchased and the hardware transfered over with minimum fuss. Try that with a jesse bag..
Just my opinion, ymmv.

·
Banned
1,121 Posts
Sorry for the delay in posting these.

Rear - 33 & 46 Combo:

Front - 33 & 46 Combo:

Rear - 46 & 46 Combo:

Front - 46 & 46 Combo

Top Box on all shots is the 52 Litre Trekker.

I hope this helps.

Cheers

·
Banned
1,121 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
recently measured the width of the 46/33 trekker combo at local dealership. From the centre line they are within 1cm of each other on each side, slightly wider on the exhaust side with the smaller 33 trekker.

It's funny how your eyes plays tricks on you though - i "scientifically" measure 4 times, with variation of less than 5mm, but my eyes are still telling me the non-exhaust side looks way bigger.

Total width including the black wrap bands is about 101cm by my measurement.
For some other ideas, check out this link -note a pair of V35 is 111cm according one of the owners.

Comparo bagagerie rigide - Valises pour la DL 650

-------------

a note to those getting 33/43 trekker, Ver 1 has been known to have a leak issue for quite a number of owners. Ver 2 fixed it with 2 extra clamps and comes with upgraded black security lock/ keys - Ask for Ver 2 if you are getting one. Ver 1 can be fixed by getting local agent to retrofit the clamps, givi part number Z2701KITR.

google "givi trekker leak and leak fix" for some reading.

this shows what V 2 or the fix should look like

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've never used hard saddle bags on the V but I'm sure that you can find them with the help of Bobby at http://www.vikingbags.com/. Call him at 888-208-1949. I've bought stuff from them before and they were always able to guide me to the right product if I wasn't sure myself.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts