Votes: 14 13.7%
  • 4+

Votes: 39 38.2%
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
12 hours

You got a really really really big gas tank if your bike can go for 12 hours without stopping...or...you're riding at 20 mph ;)

Bill H.

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
4 hours of nonstop riding aren't a problem.
Doing another four after that is not a problem either.
After 8 hours, the wind noise gets to be too much (even with earplugs).

When my butt hurts is about halfway through the second day, and by then it's too late.

My first day of riding is usually 8 hours, I can never make it more than 6 on day 2. Third day is usually better; I don't know about day 4; I use day 3 to get back home...

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Not exactly "squirming"...

...but on extended road trips, I stop for gas every 200 miles. My "norm" is to gas up, hit the restroom, down a soda, get back on the road, repeat as necessary.

·
Registered
392 Posts
stops

>>how long before you get fidgety/uncomfortable riding? (no stops) <<

This is what was actually asked.

Notice the (no stops) part.

I can ride all day, but after an hour I want off and walk around a bit, then back on for another hour.

Bill H.

·
Registered
515 Posts
:confused:
who said anything about stopping ?

the question is how long can you ride before you get fidgety/uncomfortable
See the IBA # fellas ? He is most likely packing an AUX tank to take him to a capacity of 11 gallons which is a very cool farkle. I would like to have that myself.

·
Until we meet again
5,436 Posts
Considering I usually need to fill up every 170 miles I rarely ever get a chance to get uncomfortable. Happens sometimes on the highway, but that's more out of boredom than anything else. I get fatigued and tired for the day, but not really uncomfortable.

·
Registered
22,323 Posts
See the IBA # fellas ? He is most likely packing an AUX tank to take him to a capacity of 11 gallons which is a very cool farkle. I would like to have that myself.
naw, stock tank, do ya really consider 2 minutes off the bike at a gas station a stop, I've had my butt off the seat more time standing at a street signal, once you have monkey butt, a 2 minute or 10 minute stop isn't going to help much, soon as you get back on the bike, the monkey butt will be back

even with the best saddle in the world, if you butt gets hot & sweaty and you have seams, it will get sore & itchy, underwear made with fabric that wicks moisture and has no/flat seams will keep you comfortable all day and than some

I do have a damaged stock tank that I plan to have modified to hold about 8.5 gallons, I'd like to have a 300 mile range

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Until we meet again
5,436 Posts
naw, stock tank, do ya really consider 2 minutes off the bike at a gas station a stop, I've had my butt off the seat more time standing at a street signal, once you have monkey butt, a 2 minute or 10 minute stop isn't going to help much, soon as you get back on the bike, the monkey butt will be back
Funny, just an hour ago I was having the same discussion on why I use beaded seat cover. Same reason. Lets me ride farther in comfort.

·
Registered
22,323 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Funny, just an hour ago I was having the same discussion on why I use beaded seat cover. Same reason. Lets me ride farther in comfort.
Beads rock, they work well. With that in mind when I ordered my Russell I took a chance & ordered the Velour top. The material top breaths which is nice. I used the 3M Scotch guard for waterproofing & that worked well. After a rain I just wipe it off like any other seat.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
my initial question was "without stopping" yes getting fuel means you stop. Little 5 min smoke/gas breaks help me out huge amounts in how long I can go. The later in the day the more frequent the stops for me.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Your initial question "without stopping" in my case would generally mean longer than a tank of gas lasts. Now, that condition is with a Sargent (after-market) seat on "normal" highway/road conditions. With the stock seat its about an hour. I think this is a good question but really needs to be tied to the seating conditions/clothing worn and also riding environment. It makes a big difference.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Before RDL about an hour. Post RDL, forever:thumbup:

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
I've fuelled-up lots of times without dismounting.

That being said, my response to this thread depends heavily on the type of riding done: On tight backroads and dirt roads I can ride all day, there's a bunch of inherent fidgeting in that kind of riding anyways. Long slab rides find me squirming after 50 miles, probably from boredom.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I'm no IB although I'd like to be one day. I use fidgetting as an indication to take a break on a long ride. This takes about 200km, less if I'm riding with my wife at lower speeds...after all it's a function of time in the saddle.

I find that if I ride until fatigue, the amount of time until the next fatigue is less, and so on until it's perpetual. A break only needs to be getting gas or shaking a leg to rearrange the junk.

By keeping proactive on the breaks, I have found I can ride longer overall. I have to use discipline as I'm not wired this way. Kind of like keeping the shifts short in hockey.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts