StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have spent the last two days riding in Missouri and Arkansas with a friend on his Hayabusa. After 1000 miles in two days I am SORE! I know that I am not conditioned for this but seems like a seat remedy may be in my future. On the plus side the Wee 2 is great and has no trouble keeping pace with a Busa in the twisties, of course it can flat spank the Strom on the straights. I'm happy to be the pack mule with saddle bags as well.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
266 Posts
I have spent the last two days riding in Missouri and Arkansas with a friend on his Hayabusa. After 1000 miles in two days I am SORE! I know that I am not conditioned for this but seems like a seat remedy may be in my future. On the plus side the Wee 2 is great and has no trouble keeping pace with a Busa in the twisties, of course it can flat spank the Strom on the straights. I'm happy to be the pack mule with saddle bags as well.

I'm on my fourth day at 1800 miles. For me, the seat has never been a killer like some bikes. I'm starting to get used to it and I'm glad I didn't try to change it before the trip.

Hope you figure your saddle sore-ness out.

·
Registered
499 Posts

I found some improvement with a Saddlemen Adventure Tour seat for the bike. I say some improvement as I still need to take breaks on long rides (after 1 - 2 hours riding, I start needing a break every 30 - 60 minutes). Its still an improvement from the stock seat but I am going to probably keep looking for others.

·
Registered
240 Posts
airhawk...ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

These are...wonderful. After you get use to the gooshey feel your butt will love you for buying one of these. I would never be without one.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
I got an Airhawk-R not too long ago, because it was coming down to a choice between that and springing for a custom made seat that might not fix the problem. The Airhawk-R was the less expensive solution.

I know some guys really hate them, but I found it pretty comfortable.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
You may also want to check out a pair of riding under shorts like LDComfort. I bought a set from RPW just before the Eastern Gathering. I can say that they help a lot with all day riding comfort.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I just did a 4500 km trip - with the stock seat day two I was a bit sore. Instead of some fancy solution, I went to Walmart and spent $5 on a neoprene seat cushion thing that had a fastex strap. Put it over the seat, cinched the strap, and no problem. Why fix a $5 problem with a $500 seat?!

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I just did a 4500 km trip - with the stock seat day two I was a bit sore. Instead of some fancy solution, I went to Walmart and spent $5 on a neoprene seat cushion thing that had a fastex strap. Put it over the seat, cinched the strap, and no problem. Why fix a $5 problem with a $500 seat?!

the Shwa checks in! Hey Oshawa! good day!

I got a similar thing from Canadian tire for my wife on the back, the seat has not bothered me after the first month.....but then I always was a hardass.... :thumbup:

·
Registered
389 Posts

As long as you stay with short trips, your cheap solutions will work for most. Most riders who do serious long distance riding know the difference between a $5 fix and a $500 seat. Check out the seats of the IBR / IBA / AREM riders. See how many of them use a $5 fix and how many use a $500 seat. Ride with me this summer and you will learn the value of using a $500 seat. However, to answer your question, for those who only do short rides, they can usually find cheap fixes that will work for them. For those who are serious LD riders, most are going to require something other than your $5 fix.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I chalk up a lot my soreness to not being conditioned for it as well. I also ride a bicycle quite a bit during the summer and build up quite a tolerance in my "sit bones" if you will. Hopefully by the end of summer I'll not need to spend $500 on a seat, I'd much rather spend it on a Yoshimura pipe.....:hurray:

·
Registered
47 Posts
I swear by my sheepskin seat cover that I picked up last summer from the black sheep trading company in Maine. The extra cushion goes a long way, but the main benefit is that it "breathes" better than sitting directly on the seat. In cold weather it keeps you warmer and in hot weather it mitigates sweat. I have the suzuki tall seat and it's been okay with the sheepskin so far. I'd like an even better seat for distance riding but there are other things I'd spend my money on first. Sheepskins are a good investment because you can easily move them from bike to bike.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Seat concepts seat does it for me, but buying a set of leather pants rather than wear Kevlar jeans on the long runs went the final mile.
I mean, no surprise if you get sore sitting on kitchen scourers for three hours right ?.

Pete

·
Registered
219 Posts
As long as you stay with short trips, your cheap solutions will work for most. Most riders who do serious long distance riding know the difference between a $5 fix and a $500 seat. Check out the seats of the IBR / IBA / AREM riders. See how many of them use a $5 fix and how many use a $500 seat. Ride with me this summer and you will learn the value of using a $500 seat. However, to answer your question, for those who only do short rides, they can usually find cheap fixes that will work for them. For those who are serious LD riders, most are going to require something other than your $5 fix.
Was riding 7-10 hours/day for six days straight with that fix. It worked pretty well. I might well consider buying a much more expensive solution for aesthetics though.

I took the thing off last night as I had to get the bike apart to install my new Scottoiler vSystem (which is amazing, incidentally), and didn't put it back on for the ride to work this morning. Holy crap does my bike feel a lot lower now...

·
Registered
389 Posts
As I said, as long as you stay with short trips, your cheap solutions will work for many.

Your question was why would anyone buy a $500 seat. Maybe for the same reasons that over 70% of IBR riders have the $500 seats instead of the cheap $5 fixes.

"Riding 7-10 hours/day for six days straight" is a nice and easy relaxed pace. For me, I consider 10-12 hour days for 14 days straight as an easy ride.

Try 20 hour days (with 7 gas stops of 10 minutes each) for 2 days straight and then you will have a better understanding of why people buy $500 seats.

Maybe it is just that not being a long distance rider that you have no understanding of what an endurance ride is actually like?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Well, I wasn't in the market for a new hero, but I'll defer to you.

Why anyone would ride past any reasonable point of fatigue is beyond me, but hey, to each their own.

Reactions: Hombre

·
Registered
358 Posts
:thumbup: and my sentiments also, although I've done a few rides that approached IB status, but not by original intent.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Any chance you could post some pics of this pad/cushion you bought or any manufacturers info to help other troopers find it?

·
Registered
219 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts