StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gonna try something for long rides. In surfing I came across a guys site were he tried a bun saver self inflated air pad for sportsmen/hunters. Bought one today at Wally world for 10bucks. Amount of inflation is adjustable. What little time I spent on it was comfortable. Don't think it would be good for in town stop and go/ short commutes but seems like would be comfortable for long rides. Cheap enough to try even if it doesn't work out my wife can use it for working in garden, :lol:

Cheers

·
Registered
355 Posts
Custom seat is the way to go; it's expensive, but if you are serious about putting miles on your bike, eventually you'll probably come to the same conclusion.

I can go 900+ miles in a day before my custom seat starts hurting by butt; usually my legs and shoulders are too sore by then anyhow.

When I say "custom", I don't mean pseudocustom like Corbin. I'm talking Rich's or Russell's.

-ted

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I haven't been able to do a long ride yet on the pad. I was able to do a 200 mile ride on a beadrider on top of my suzuki gel seat. Was not bad at all. Was hot july day and had no hot seat with the beads.

Houston

·
Registered
192 Posts
What kind of money are we talking about for a Rich's or Russell's seat? I didn't see prices on the Russell's website.

Bob

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bob said:
What kind of money are we talking about for a Rich's or Russell's seat? I didn't see prices on the Russell's website.

Bob
I just paid $290 US to have the rider portion of my DL650 seat rebuilt, including recovering the whole seat in basketweave vinyl [by Rick Mayer].

Doing rider and passenger seat is more and leather still more.

·
Registered
53 Posts
tedder said:
When I say "custom", I don't mean pseudocustom like Corbin. I'm talking Rich's or Russell's.

-ted
I'm lucky to have a Corbin ass then. The stock was only good for about 100 miles before pain. I've done at least 5/ in excess of 1000 mile days with the VStrom Corbin never thinking about my seat. Their seat works for me - I've heard their customer service really sucks but have never had a problem with their seats.

Corbin's on 2 BMW's, 2 Suzuki's, 1 Yamaha

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
TPadden said:
I'm lucky to have a Corbin ass then. The stock was only good for about 100 miles before pain. I've done at least 5/ in excess of 1000 mile days with the VStrom Corbin never thinking about my seat. Their seat works for me - I've heard their customer service really sucks but have never had a problem with their seats.
I have a Corbin on my DL1000 also. I love it. Third bike in a row for me with Corbin seats. They work great. I think some folks just can't get over the mental hang-up that soft = comfortable. In my experience soft motorcycle seats are awful on anything more than a 100 mile ride. But maybe I've just got a "Corbin butt" too. They did have a bad reputation on the street for customer service for awhile. I think they've improved though.

·
Registered
84 Posts
This is all very interesting. Over the Labor Day Holiday I put 1500mi on my bike and started to realize a new seat might be in order. I swapped for a DL1000 seat way back in March and its been ok for Day trips.

I do tend to move around a lot on seat. Either sliding forward in the twisties, or sitting on the hump while cruising. Heck my arms and legs are long enough I sometimes ride from the pillion position! :shock:

I might try an Alaska Leathers Buttpad before jumping into the $$ of a Corbin or Custom seat.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Russell Cycle Products

Thanks for the link! That's exactly what I was coming in to look for today... seat alternatives. Went on a longish ride with my wife last weekend and we were both feeling it by the end of the weekend. In my opinion that stock seat is just a bit too soft. Anyone tried getting the heated seats?

·
Registered
355 Posts
I've heard good things about Alaska Leathers. I'd give that a shot, especially if you are riding 400-500 mile days. If you are riding 800+, save your money and get the best seat possible.

Some people really like to move around in the seat, but I think that once the seat is set up for your butt, you don't need to do so.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Wow, lots of possibilities. My longer days are typically around 600 miles, but I am planning to start doing some longer ones than that next year. Actually, I don't find the Suzuki stock seat too bad for me. I notice a bit of numbness, but I just move around a bit and it fixes things. That, and the odd break. Maybe my riding on classic British bikes has toughened me (or my butt) up. For longer distances I figured I might need something more than stock though. Given my needs, maybe even just a sheepskin would work, but what do you do with a sheepskin in the rain?

Bob

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hey all... great thread.

I just wante to bump this topic a little and see if I could draw out some updates.

Houston357, have you had a chance to try that inflatable pad yet?

How are those of you with the beaded seat covers and the gel seats liking what you've got?

Also, I've heard some people say that Corbin isn't the way to go, but every time I've heard someone mention that they tried it, they loved it. Is this just a matter of brand loyalty/bias?

Thanks.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Brak

I haven't been able to try out the air pad for a long ride yet, my wife is going to alter the strap attachment for me. It did well for a short ride but don't really need it for a short ride. I did a 200mile ride on a beadrider over the strom gel seat, that went well. It was in hot july, seat stayed cool. I was in jeans that day, was before I got my firstgear riding pants.

Another thought is cycling shorts under your riding pants. I am also going to try this.

On the topic of the air pad. Go to the route sheet topic on this board and to the LOE posting. Follow his pictures to the very end. He posts, "How I did it " and posts a picture of the Walmart air pad.

Houston

1 - 20 of 30 Posts