StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As some of you may have heard or seen on the threads regarding the Vstrom weekend at Bingara.I think I was the first of a few to part company with the bike on the way home.Contacted the insurance company this afternoon and the news was not good apparently the bike is a write of so this is the last pic of the old wee .Funny after the accident and looked at the ever reliable didn`t think was that bad new front fairing,headlight,bar ends ,maybe front fender and mirrors. :frown:Had just done 12,000 k service and put brand new tyre on front out of workshop thur on road fri.
Lesson learned safety in numbers if can avoid don`t ride alonehttp://www.stromtrooper.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=18184&stc=1&d=1333370723

Attachments

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
Forget the bike, it's easily replaceable.

How are you?

·
Registered
269 Posts
I'm with the man from North Carolina on this one. Suzuki still makes V-Stroms. Your mom is not making any more of you...

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Steve, that's a real bummer mate:thumbdown::thumbdown:

Is it possible you can get to buy it cheap after the payout and resurect it?

or maybe you can put that money into a 2012 Wee (if ya can find one)

I know they've got 2 new Wee-stroms down here in Newcastle...if ya can get down here I can meet you as I'm pretty close and you can bunk down for the night...might have to be a inflatable mattress through.I think they've also got a newer older model too..could be same colour..i'll call in there today and let you know what they have.

Glad you're ok though mate:thumbup:

Cheers

wobbly_boot

(Dave)

·
Registered
868 Posts
Steve, the bike is just a material possession and if you have insurance, that is some of the financial pain is covered.

You are the one that is not replaceable, it is unfortunate that accidents happen, sometimes you cannot predicate what is around the corner or down the road. I hope this doesn't stop you from riding thou.

Let the insurance company deal with the bike, you dont want to go down the road of trying to buy it back as a wreck doesn't matter if it looks ok and you think it is repairable. It will be more of a headache than anything else. Let it go and move forward.

Hope you are back on a bike soon.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
Buy it back as a repairable write off and turn it into a thin Strom.
The only reason the insurance company will have written it off is because of the cost of replacing the plastics.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Insurance

Who is your insurer? I was with QBE when I crashed last year. Their service was excellent.:yesnod: Don't forget you may be covered for riding gear as well. My problem was parts availability it took a couple of months for fairing panels to arrive. Hopefully you won't have to wait that long for a payout on your bike.:thumbdown:
Mine was also delayed when they discovered a dent in the tank that they missed in the initial assessment, total bill was around the 4K mark and that was mostly parts as the labour component was only a few hours. Hope your body didn't suffer too much damage.

I will collect that beer sometime in the future, weather Gods permitting.:thumbup:

·
Registered
261 Posts
glad to here your OK
as been mentioned bike's can be repaired\ replaced people a little harder:green_lol:
I guess you sever as a timely reminder that we as bike riders can not let our guards down period

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Sorry to hear this Steve, As all the rest said at least you are alright. Hendersons, South Tweed, did have a second hand Strom in the shop. It might be worth a look.

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Glad to hear you are Ok and hope you recover from any injuries quickly. Bad luck on the bike, they might only be a material thing but you do become attached to them. I have seen other bikes with less damage than yours written off, as K1W1 said it was probably all the plastics that blew it out for them.
Heading down the shop tomorrow, will let you know if there is anything interesting in there.

Cheers

·
Registered
15,711 Posts
I think mine was worse and a few parts and rattle can, good as new with a few scars for character. Oh, and money in the bank from the Ins co.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Steve,,
Had a looky at my local Suzi dealer and he's got a new bronze/orange DL650 2012 strom for $12,500 ride-away and has 2 x 2011 non-abs DL650s still in crates for 10,000 ride-away.
These are retail prices and they could do better with non- trade-ins or a few farkles perhaps.
Gotta get you back Strommin' ASAP:mrgreen:

cheers

wobbly_boot

·
Registered
527 Posts
Like everyone else Steve, glad to hear you're still around to talk about it :thumbsup:

Hope you're back in the seat soon.

:cheers2:
BOB

·
Registered
436 Posts
Like everyone else Steve, glad to hear you're still around to talk about it :thumbsup:

Hope you're back in the seat soon.

:cheers2:
BOB
+ 1

Ozzy Strom

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Ditto.

And depending on whether there is only superficial damage, it may be worth pricing up repairing the bike yourself without the insurance company being involved.

You may find that by the time you pay the excess plus the fact your premiums will go up it may be not that expensive to do it yourself.

If the other person is in the wrong and their insurance has to cover it then your options are different.

It would be hard to part with a bike with a known history if it were me making the choice.

Hope it all works out the best for you.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I'm in a bit of a different way of thinking to Ock on this....

If it was my bike that was damaged in the accident, the fact that it was damaged will always have me wonderin' if everything was fixed right.

Also it's like having a new car...if it gets into a prang and fixed...well...it's just never the same car again is it.... It'll always feel different.

It's just the fact you KNOW that it's been damaged that kinda spoils it.:thumbdown:

cheers

wobbly

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
From one who has also totalled a motorcycle....the moto loss heals much faster than busted human body parts. Go kiss what is left of the strom and either fix it back...what I did (with a Harley), or buy another mistress.

Either way, any E room visit is way more $$$ than your bike.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
I'm in a bit of a different way of thinking to Ock on this....

If it was my bike that was damaged in the accident, the fact that it was damaged will always have me wonderin' if everything was fixed right.

Also it's like having a new car...if it gets into a prang and fixed...well...it's just never the same car again is it.... It'll always feel different.

It's just the fact you KNOW that it's been damaged that kinda spoils it.:thumbdown:

cheers

wobbly
But on Stroms it is often just a lot of superficial plastic and stuff, the photo doesn't look that bad.

With many bikes, as long as the frame is straight the rest is just "bolt on" stuff.

Agree with you on the cars though Dave, a decent bang can cause some bigger issues that are more hidden than on a bike.

I'd rather fix a bike I know than buy another one that may have been pranged without my knowledge [which is always a risk when buying second hand anyway.....but we are more diligent when buying used :confused: aren't we :yikes: ].

·
Registered
232 Posts
First up Tweed-Strom, so very sorry you had such an unfortunate end to your weekend. It is never any fun to put one down, esp. a shiny new one like yours. But at least you still have all limbs intact and the 'gotta ride a Strom' flame still burns brightly within ! Lets now keep it that way!

Understand entirely where Wobbly boot is coming from with it not just feelin' right after a bingle (been there meself decades ago), but, well, this time, I'm with Ock...

Depending on your fettlin' skills, a repair done by yourself after a what is really a minor off can kinda be like a healing process, both for your mind/attitude to the bike and of course the bike itself.

Recently I went into a motorcycle wreckers here in SYD and I was simply STAGGERED by the incredible no. of what looked to me at least, entirely repairable and still very rideable bikes - it almost looked like they were being completely overwhelmed by stock.

They explained it is just a $$ numbers game, and that game is stacked in the insurance co's favour (ain't it always?). A scratch on the frame? Write it off. Plastics cracked or rashed? Write it off. And the bugger of it here in NSW is that they ALL immediately become NON REPAIRABLE write offs, meaning they can NEVER be registered ever again in this state. Any financial write off immediately becomes a non repairable write off. Such is the state of our increasingly unsustainable and disposable attitude to our 'stuff' these days.

With the power of the Interweb search engines in your pocket and support from the good folks on this site, I am sure you would be very easily able to source a bunch of unmarked parts from wreckers and other sources (eg; this site) to get your ride back on the road, as good, if not better than it was before.

It just makes no sense to me to bin a 12,000 k bike you really love, that is still structurally completely sound and straight, just because of some scratches, cracked plastics and what is in essence, only minor cosmetic damage. And let's call it as it really is, just 'cos it is easiest for the insurance co' to do so.

So...I say 'To hell with the insurance co. response this time'. Just go and get your bike back.

Pull the damaged bits off, make a list of what you need, get searching and lets just fix this thing. There is plenty of help on this site to assist you with the fettlin' and you will learn heaps. At the end of the day, you can't make it any worse than what it is now !!

I am fairly new to Stroms myself and when I first looked at the fairing parts and lack of access to the engine, I did not have a clue how to remove and refit it. But after trawling this and other sites and taking my time and just having a go, it is really quite easy to learn. As they say in the classics, Knowledge dispels Fear!

You will most likely burn the cost of buying / repairing the plastic parts anyway when you go from your current busted one to its replacement, so why not repair the one you love and own right now? You will be amazed how well they can repair plastic components now.

Better the devil you know, I reckon.

My two bobs worth (and don't we all just love a good project!)

Keep us posted on what you decide.

Cheers...Tony

·
Registered
37 Posts
So glad to hear you are ok,always remember you can always replace metal and plastic and not people.It is hard to let go of a bike when you probably have a lot of good memories associated with her.Take the new bike where possible and ride with the memories of the old one and all will be fine.Hope to see you on our next ride to dorrigo late may.toecutter

1 - 20 of 23 Posts