StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started replacing the stock front brakes with a set of Nissin 4 pot units and Blair's adaptor bracket. Some pics:

Before:

And After:

I have the braided lines, banjo bolts and bleeders to do but that is for another day when I replace the handle bars. Off to a good start though. This was straight forward. All bolts were LocTited and torqued to spec. The Nissins were off a 2003/04 Honda 600 RR I picked up on E-Bay from a guy in Quebec. Replaced the pads with the Galfer sintered units. Gold bling.

Earl

·
Registered
5 Posts
Did this a few months back. Same calipers. Went with the radial master cylinder as well. HUGE improvement. Only thing is the stock handguards couldn't be used.

I just replaced my bars with some Pro-Taper SE ATV mids because I had some floating around the garage. Picked up some "Trackside" handguards on sale at Cycle Gear. They clear the new master cylinder, and are highly adjustable. Probably would have fit the old bars, too.

·
Registered
699 Posts
R/Hand mirror?

When the master cyl. is replaced, what did you do to mount a mirror? It looks like I could just use half of a "standard" clamp & mount it to the front of the mirror stand.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just recently bought an '03 Vee and found that the first thing I needed to do was upgrade the brakes. I used Blair's (SVRacing parts) upgrade kit with steel lines to get Tokico calipers on (ebay), and I also did the GSXR radial master cylinder upgrade (ebay) to go along with it. I was able to keep the OEM hand guard on the radial MC.

What a fantastic upgrade. I got my two finger braking ability back. As others mentioned this translates into lots of front dive, but I'd rather have that then have to frantically crush the front brake lever and mash on the rear brake to slow down.

Blair's kit should just be sold with any Vee along with the keys to the bike :yesnod:.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
Step one to controlling the front dive is to install a pair of fork springs that suit your riding weight.

·
Registered
699 Posts
When the master cyl. is replaced, what did you do to mount a mirror? It looks like I could just use half of a "standard" clamp & mount it to the front of the mirror stand.
I found a Honda front master cylinder clamp (p/n 45517-MEL-006) bolts up to the mirror.

I forgot to add; pay attention to the arrow on the H. clamp. It needs to be pointing down, not up. Put S. mirror & the H. clamp together off the bike & you'll see it's not a perfect 1/2 circle.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I just recently bought an '03 Vee and found that the first thing I needed to do was upgrade the brakes. I used Blair's (SVRacing parts) upgrade kit with steel lines to get Tokico calipers on (ebay), and I also did the GSXR radial master cylinder upgrade (ebay) to go along with it. I was able to keep the OEM hand guard on the radial MC.

What a fantastic upgrade. I got my two finger braking ability back. As others mentioned this translates into lots of front dive, but I'd rather have that then have to frantically crush the front brake lever and mash on the rear brake to slow down.

Blair's kit should just be sold with any Vee along with the keys to the bike :yesnod:.
What year & model GSXR radial master cylinder? I was just about to install a larger 06 Wee master cylinder, along with a freshly rebuilt pair of Tokico calipers, but still have time to get the preferred radial master cylinder though. Does the GSXR master cylinder mount up to the mirror mount/handlebar clamp like the Wee?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts